The Student Room Group

What was everyone's hardest IB course?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
chrisjorg
Looking back, I have spent most time on maths HL. One word of advice for future candidates: do but DO opt for maths HL, as it is challenging and very rewarding. You will come out with competent skills in maths required for university. Seriously, as you cover more and more topics, things will start to become interrelated, and you will start to see the connections between each topic.
Honestly, if you want bang for the buck, maths HL will provide a both challenging but also rewarding course. It is true I spent a lot of time working, but you will not regret it afterwards. Even if you are doing sciences such as chemistry (even biology to be frank) maths is the solid fundament required for sucess.

spoke like a true mathematician :smile::biggrin:
i have to say none of my subject was hard, but the one requiring most effort was physics hl (probably cos my school ****ed up but oh well, no one says physics hl is easy)
i did math hl too, and yet i don't think it was the hardest course. it was the hardest to study for, yes, given the amount of topics, and it took a lot of time.

still, my hardest course was definitively THEATRE ARTS HL.
this will probably be hard to understand for anyone who didn't take a group 6 subject (music, vis. art or th. art), but the amount of coursework required for these subjects compared to others (even math hl) is incredibly large.

still, the good thing is that we have no exam, per se, so it was one less to study in may.

it was also the subject i enjoyed most, mind you :smile:
Probably Physics SL. My HL subjects were all pretty easy (well, History isn't, but it's not that hard either). Even though I'm good at physics, electromagnetism was a nightmare. I do not like it.
Reply 23
andy_cole2
For those saying maths HL is it the exam or the course? what aspect specifically? Because i'm not excellent at maths, but i don't think, provided you got the right revision books, that the course for maths HL was that hard to understand. THere was far more to understand in theoretical subjecst such as physics HL. Even business HL there was far more for me to sit down and learn...

MATH HL was hard for me... coz our teacher was pathetic!! it was literally a self study... so it was realllllly hard... especially the option!
Reply 24
diera23
apparently visual arts hl because i needed to do the 2-years course including 12 studio works and 400 pages of research workbook in, 3 months.. stupid mistake done by a stupid teacher.. *sigh*

:five: knew someone else would vote for it:p:
you had to do 400 pages?:eek3: I only got till 150:ninja:
Reply 25
English A1 HL.

It's not like a math or a science, where competent revision rewards you with a higher grade. Instead, it ends up being a combination of practise and luck. While my essay writing skills have improved, no matter how much effort I put in, I found that a 5 was all I could manage. In math, biology, and history if I spent the extra time studying, the mark would ALWAYS come back showing it.
Reply 26
German was the hardest for me by a mile :p: couldn't understand a single word :redface:
Reply 27
Physics SL
actually, all courses can be hard and easy, it depends on many factors to begin with past experience and school competence...
Reply 28
stupid math hl....will probably mess up my whole grade...also the one subject that i really liked as a challenge...always happens wid me n math...enjoy the subject mess up the paper... oh well....
From most difficult to easiest:

Chem HL
Math SL
English A1 HL
Psychology HL
Music SL

I did Spanish B last year and don't exactly remember the exam all that well, but I don't remember it being difficult.
Reply 30
ALL my subjects were easy except maths sl-.... its not hard persay its the exam qs thats just abit hard sometimes esp p2--- but its kinda my fault too since i didnt study it as much as my other subjects:

HL - bio, philosophy, eng
SL - swedish, chem, math
Reply 31
i've only taken math SL, physics SL and psych SL so far
psychology SL as of now seems to be the hardest b/c my teacher has a donut head....
Chemistry HL was probably the hardest in terms of understanding concepts and then actually remembering everything but, for History and English A1 HL there was just so much you had to know that they ranked right up there with hardest ones...
Reply 33
I am still going but at the moment the hardest thing seems to be the EE but perhaps that is because it is due on the 1st of June and I have been working on it non-stop for the past week.
art - it seems like many times students and teachers do a decent job but then get screwed over by the moderator (not the examiner) and thats what makes it a hard subject to obtain the grade, not the actual course per say (I'd say).

physics HL is a challenge, though I cannot compare it to math HL because I didn't take it. electromagnetism is a ****, but other aspects can be tricky at times. I think the trickiest concept here was some where between induced emf and lenz's law.
Reply 35
agreed. i didnt understand a lot of the HL electromagnetism stuff. but electricity in general is my most hated topic in physics :smile:
Chemistry HL

Subkect was good but teacher was so boring it was sleep inducing.
Reply 37
Eco HL
Reply 38
Chemistry HL and Maths SL will ruin me. I get a 5 in both and that'll be enough for me...but there's so much work to put in for those two. :frown: I really enjoy Islamic History and English, Biology's pretty straightforward, and Indonesian's an unknown quantity. :eek:
Reply 39
History and Psych. Because you actually have to work to do well in them, you can't just get away with being good at the subject, like in Maths or a language or something. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending