The Student Room Group

Mature Student Needing Advice

Was wondering if anyone of an older age would be able to advise me.
This is the dilemma I currently have. I am aged 33 and am due to do an access course next year so I can get in to university in 2017.
What I really want to do is biological science. The thing I'm worried about is job opportunities once I have finished. I know I'll probably have to do postgrad after to actually get anywhere but as long as I know there is an opportunity at the end, it would be worth it.
I have also an interest in the business sector, namely HR. I'm thinking do I go for the science or go for business where I know there probably will be work or do I go for the thing that my heart is set on, the science?
Any help would be very much appreciated, preferably from anyone around the same age that may be doing science courses or have some good advice.
31 years old here, Currently in my penultimate year of an economics degree. It's hard to give advice on your situation since no one can guarantee you'll get a job. The only thing I can suggest is that before you make the decision, do your research. Look at how many grads from bio science get into employment after one year, Figure out where you want to work, if you'd be happy to move etc and know who the big players are in your industry and what the job market looks like. Also be aware that even though you feel settled in what you want to do now, you might find over the course of your degree that you want to change your goals or work in a slightly different field.

Finally don't do a degree you aren't interested in! Even if it seems like a good shout at first because of the eventual career benefits you have to remember that for the next 3 or 4 years this will be your job and you don't want to add "hate my degree" onto the list of typical mature student worries.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending