The Student Room Group

BBC News: Migrant crisis - UN says Europe is 'on cusp of self-induced crisis'

’The UN has said that Europe is on the cusp of a largely self-induced humanitarian crisis’ (BBC News)

Original post by Foo.mp3
This is what happens when you fail to turn the boats around and Merkel et. co don't just welcome them but practically invite them! :rolleyes:
Ten times the number of migrants travelling to Europe by boat this year. Hate to say I told you so (see spoiler below)

Thanks to European opinion leaders (read: NIMBY/ivory tower pseudo-liberal media/political elites), and their imbecilic Guardianista proponents, who have (in many cases wilfully) encouraged migrants to come, and Turkey/Greece just waving them on through, we are now looking at:

The disintegration of Schengen, accelerated decline of EU, and evermore fractious/fractured relations between member states

Crime waves, an enhanced terror threat, and other atrocities e.g. mass predation of the vulnerable (Cologne etc)

Reactive vigilantism, persecution (directed at/within migrant groups) and civil unrest and potential race/religious riots/war

Growing possibility of related international conflict e.g. anti-Turkish sentiments on the rise in Germany, Austria, and Greece

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

so very true, our only solution is to leave the EU or face being forced to absorb millions of immigrants that we simply do not have the space or facilities to cater for. Both the NHS and education system are already at their limits without the addition of many unemployed and non-English speaking migrants; many of whom are not even seeking asylum, only seeking benefits!
Original post by Foo.mp3
’The UN has said that Europe is on the cusp of a largely self-induced humanitarian crisis’

And the senior NATO commander in Europe says that Russia is deliberately using the crisis to destabilise Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35706238

Our politicians are letting us down.
This was entirely predictable. At a time when what was needed was a united front deterring migrants from making this journey, Merkel's welcoming message ensured the situation deteriorated further than it ever should have.

The supposed liberalism and tolerance of those who encouraged this has led to a very real threat to those values.

And I haven't heard even a smidgen of remorse from those people, who desperately cling to the narrative that there is no problem and any problem is due to the far-right and our lack of tolerance of other cultures.
Original post by Foo.mp3
’The UN has said that Europe is on the cusp of a largely self-induced humanitarian crisis’ (BBC News)

Ten times the number of migrants travelling to Europe by boat this year. Hate to say I told you so (also see spoiler below for further reference)

Thanks to European opinion leaders (read: NIMBY/ivory tower pseudo-liberal media/political elites), and their imbecilic Guardianista proponents, who have (in many cases wilfully) encouraged migrants to come, and Turkey/Greece just waving them on through, we are now looking at:

The disintegration of Schengen, accelerated decline of the EU, and evermore fractious/fractured relations between member states

Crime waves, an enhanced terror threat, and other atrocities e.g. mass predation of the vulnerable (Cologne etc)

Reactive vigilantism, persecution (directed at/within migrant groups) and the very real prospect of civil unrest and race/religious riots/war

The growing possibility of related international conflict e.g. anti-Turkish sentiments on the rise in Germany, Austria, and Greece

Spoiler

Why are these people risking their lives to come to our shores? Because they want a better life! What do we do? We can't let turkey bear all the burden,it's not fair. It's so sad when I see little kids being dragged around for days on end from one country to another just so there parents can give them a better life,a better education and most importantly hope. Like I've said before,we should have strict border patrols and those who don't have legitimate documents should be sent back.
(edited 8 years ago)
Angela Merkel will be remembered in the future as the women who destroyed Europe

Probably by Chinese historians, because Europe sure as hell wont be writing books soon enough
Original post by queen-bee
Why are these people risking their lives to come to our shores? Because they want a better life!

I completely sympathise with them, and their desire for a better life. But what about all the Vietnamese, Indian, Bangladeshi, Tibetan, Chilean, Ugandan, Ghanaian, Zambian, Guatemalan, Thai villagers and townsfolk who also want a better life? Why should simply being a North African/Middle Eastern be the only criteria? Also, why have the gulf states (with all their riches, and their pretence to be Islamic) closed their borders?
(edited 8 years ago)
Why are these people risking their lives to come to our shores? Because they want a better life! What do we do? We can't let turkey bear all the burden,it's not fair. It's so sad when I see little kids being dragged around for days on end from one country to another just so there parents can give them a better life,a better education and most importantly hope. Like I've said before,we should have strict border patrols and those who don't have legitimate documents should be sent back.

So Europe's standard of life should be dragged down to that of the third world ... because you don't like seeing kids cry? If we brought all those people over here, everyone would be crying.
Original post by chemting
I completely sympathise with them, and their desire for a better life. But what about all the Vietnamese, Indian, Bangladeshi, Tibetan, Chilean, Ugandan, Ghanaian, Zambian, Guatemalan, villagers and townsfolk who also want a better life? Why should simply being a North African/Middle Eastern be the only criteria? Also, why have the gulf states (with all their riches, and their pretence to be Islamic) closed their borders?

The reason why countries like Kuwait don't want Displace Syrians is because 'they're traumatised people' and they aren't of the same people as them. I find it extremely selfish that the gulf states,with all the riches God has blessed them with,will not accept a single refugee. But it's not only Syrians that are part of the crowd? I didn't say other people shouldn't come to the UK,but right now the situation is Syria is so messed up.
Original post by MildredMalone
So Europe's standard of life should be dragged down to that of the third world ... because you don't like seeing kids cry? If we brought all those people over here, everyone would be crying.

Why should Europe have to reduce their standard of life?

Speak for yourself, what is a little kid going to do to you? Fair enough,you're concerned about grown men but kids?!
Original post by TheArtofProtest
They can also make the journey if they so wish.

It's not but it just happens to be a part of the world that has lately seen a disproportionate amount of wars and uprisings.

Because they don't want refugees and working conditions are terrible.

It breaks my heart seeing these children go through all this,women too and innocent men
those who don't have legitimate documents should be sent back.

Easier said than done when refugees/migrants are quite literally breaking and entering.
I'd worry less about the EU falling apart (for the most part it won't) and more about how agressively some nations will start to defend their borders if the status-quo continues. At some point, somebody is going to shoot a load of migrants.
Original post by Hydeman
Easier said than done when refugees/migrants are quite literally breaking and entering.

Why can't we get more security at borders then?
3 billion people live on less thank $2.50 a day, you really think allowing these immigrants at the border will make even a dent on that figure? What you don't realise is those that can afford to travel to Europe do not have it anywhere near the worst. Those who are unable to leave their countries, trapped in conflict are the ones in need. The solution is not to allow mass immigration, but to fight the root cause of the problem. Allowing migrants in only worsens the situation as it does not provide a solution, it merely distracts us from the real issue. Sympathy is great but again it does not solve the problem. Giving the migrants a reason to return home by providing safe conditions there would be a far better alternative.
Why can't we get more security at borders then?

Security can only do so much. It's very difficult to stop thousands of people from kicking down the gate at a border fence without doing something incredibly unethical.

I'm all for a fast, legal asylum process, but first we need to re-establish the rule of law, instead of fawning over people who are knowingly forcing their way into countries in contravention of the law. And it would be nice if the self-proclaimed humanitarians could also come around to this view instead of having a, 'let them all in, no checks needed!' attitude.
(edited 8 years ago)
Why should Europe have to reduce their standard of life?

Fill somewhere with the third world, it will become the third world.
Why are these people risking their lives to come to our shores? Because they want a better life!

We all want a better life, deary. The first duty of any government is to protect its citizens, and our government must protect us and our way of life. The Syrians ' own government has let them down badly, but we can't save everyone, and shouldn't even try, frankly. The inhabitants of these Middle eastern countries should wake up to the fact we are in the twenty-first century, arrange a sensible system of government (not founded on either backward superstition or authoritarianism) and sort themselves out. It is not as if they are short of natural resources or a long-standing civilisation upon which to build.

what is a little kid going to do to you? Fair enough,you're concerned about grown men but kids?!

Are you going to share your technique for preventing the kids from becoming adults? Have you been consulting with Mr Assad; he seems to be doing the job effectively.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kadeharbert
Those who are unable to leave their countries, trapped in conflict are the ones in need.

Which is why the UK aid effort is properly directed at those in camps in the Middle East, not those wealthy or aggressive enough to force their way to the borders of Europe.
Original post by Good bloke
Which is why the UK aid effort is properly directed at those in camps in the Middle East, not those wealthy or aggressive enough to force their way to the borders of Europe.

I agree with you completely, our aid effort is currently directed at those who truly need it. I am honestly afraid that those who are currently receiving aid will be sidelined if the EU successfully force us to care for those violently trying to illegally cross the borders of EU countries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending