The Student Room Group

SFE funding after leaving course

Hello,

I was previously studying at university and and had to re-sit my first year due to mental health reasons and eventually was forced, during my second attempt at the first year, to drop out due to a mental health crisis.

I am planning on returning to university in 2025 to do a 4 year course (this includes one foundation year) I was wondering how much funding I would be entitled to.

I have heard/seen mixed responses from sfe employees about whether you can get just one year of funding back if you left for health reasons, or whether I will be entitled to full funding for the course I am looking to apply for.

Any clarity which can be offered on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Isaac
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Isaac Bishop
Hello,

I was previously studying at university and and had to re-sit my first year due to mental health reasons and eventually was forced, during my second attempt at the first year, to drop out due to a mental health crisis.

I am planning on returning to university in 2025 to do a 4 year course (this includes one foundation year) I was wondering how much funding I would be entitled to.

I have heard/seen mixed responses from sfe employees about whether you can get just one year of funding back if you left for health reasons, or whether I will be entitled to full funding for the course I am looking to apply for.

Any clarity which can be offered on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Isaac

The calculation for funding your new course would be:

length of new course + 1 (gift) year - years of previous study

So your calcultion would be 4 + 1 - 2. If you can provide evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons when you dropped out, you should be able to claim an additional year of funding.
Original post by normaw
The calculation for funding your new course would be:
length of new course + 1 (gift) year - years of previous study
So your calcultion would be 4 + 1 - 2. If you can provide evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons when you dropped out, you should be able to claim an additional year of funding.

So, to clarify, would this additional year of funding bring my total available funding to 4 years?

If I did have to self-fund a year could I receive a maintenance loan for that year?
Reply 3
Better get in touch with Student Finance. And check exactly what is going on.
So, to clarify, would this additional year of funding bring my total available funding to 4 years?

If I did have to self-fund a year could I receive a maintenance loan for that year?

If your CPR was accepted for an additional year, then you should get funding for four years. If not, you would be able to apply for a maintenance loan only for your first year.

Note - there are some exception courses that would be fully funded irrespective of previous study. What do you intend to study?
Original post by normaw
If your CPR was accepted for an additional year, then you should get funding for four years. If not, you would be able to apply for a maintenance loan only for your first year.
Note - there are some exception courses that would be fully funded irrespective of previous study. What do you intend to study?

Thank you, this has put my mind at ease.

My course would not be an exception course.

The evidence I will be providing is an official letter from a psychiatrist to my accommodation stating that I had to withdraw from my course due to mental health reasons. Would you be able to say whether you think this would qualify me for the 4 years of funding?

You've been a brilliant help so far, I appreciate your time.
(edited 1 month ago)
Thank you, this has put my mind at ease.

My course would not be an exception course.

The evidence I will be providing is an official letter from a psychiatrist to my accommodation stating that I had to withdraw from my course due to mental health reasons. Would you be able to say whether you think this would qualify me for the 4 years of funding?

You've been a brilliant help so far, I appreciate your time.

Have a look through the following thread , which an official SFE rep replied to on the Ask SFE forum. Post #8 details the type of evidence that will be accepted. Gather as much evidence as you can and write a covering letter to go with it, and then upload to your account.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7335055

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending