The Student Room Group

Should i take Biology at A level

Its my favorite science,i love memorising things,however is it maths based?I dislike doing maths.Could someone give me an insight on how biology is really like.
There is Maths involved, trust me, I hate maths too (had a B at GCSE Maths). Maths is a part of A Level Biology that I have struggled with but there has always been extra support at my college for those doing similar subjects who aren't so good with the maths side.

Maths questions do seem to come up on exams, some of which you will need to remember the formula for and in particular Maths seems to come up on practical exams. Biology isn't as Maths based as something like Physics is though (where they usually recommend that you do A Level maths alongside A Level Physics, at least they did in my college, and it's the reason I didn't choose to study it). So if you want to do it just be prepared that the occasional maths question will come up, though it's not that often in my opinion and of course you usually get marks for the workings anyway even if you don't always get the right answer.

The maths side of Biology certainly shouldn't hold you back from doing it though if it's a subject that you will enjoy!
Reply 2
I'm not sure about other exam boards, but on my exam board (OCR), 10% of the Biology paper(s) is maths based, which is quite significant.

However, as previously said, don't let it put you off doing the A level as a whole.
Reply 3
Original post by -CarpeDiem-
There is Maths involved, trust me, I hate maths too (had a B at GCSE Maths). Maths is a part of A Level Biology that I have struggled with but there has always been extra support at my college for those doing similar subjects who aren't so good with the maths side.

Maths questions do seem to come up on exams, some of which you will need to remember the formula for and in particular Maths seems to come up on practical exams. Biology isn't as Maths based as something like Physics is though (where they usually recommend that you do A Level maths alongside A Level Physics, at least they did in my college, and it's the reason I didn't choose to study it). So if you want to do it just be prepared that the occasional maths question will come up, though it's not that often in my opinion and of course you usually get marks for the workings anyway even if you don't always get the right answer.

The maths side of Biology certainly shouldn't hold you back from doing it though if it's a subject that you will enjoy!

Are there lots of math questions?I'm okay with two (max) in the exam.

is it hard to memorise
Original post by Blancosdos
Are there lots of math questions?I'm okay with two (max) in the exam.

is it hard to memorise

Probably depends on what examining board the college does. I'm doing AQA (old spec), there are probably around 2 maths questions per exam paper.

I do find some of the maths hard to memorise, though it's mostly standard deviation and hardy weinburg which I find hard. The rest tends to be more simple.
Reply 5
The maths in the exams are not very hard its mainly magnification or surface area to volume the maths is no harder then gcse maths
Reply 6
yes the maths isnt that significant because i am doing AS OCR bio currently and there isnt really maths its just the content and i love it!

Quick Reply

Latest