The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

average grade boundaries are around 65% for an A for f211 and f212. If OCR are feeling generous they'll lower them to 55% - 60% since we're new spec
The specimen paper was so much easier :s-smilie:
Original post by nadeu01
Anyone know what the awnser to that weird ass plasmodium and erythrocrytes question was?

I said the virus doesnt 'live' in the erythrocrytes cos theres no nuclues so it cant take over any genetic material and manufacture more of itself

Posted from TSR Mobile
With regards to the erythrocytes question about viruses and the plasmodium, I answered as above except that I included the idea that the plasmodium can feed on the cell contents.
Reply 824
Original post by 11234
For the zoo question did anyone put use artifical insemination or invitro fertilisation

Yes i wrote about IVF aswell, think it is wrong though as everyone else is saying something else :/
Reply 825
Original post by wojiaoshakira
I wrote something about how capillaries are one cell thick so there is a short diffusion distance.

I wrote that too :smile: 2 marks hopefully for saying that.
Reply 826
Original post by ultralightbeam
average grade boundaries are around 65% for an A for f211 and f212. If OCR are feeling generous they'll lower them to 55% - 60% since we're new spec

I think:

A - 50
B - 45
C - 40
D - 34
E - 28

It might look a bit generous but this is the new specification. Since the old specification does not even give 80% for an A, I thought that the grade boundaries will be set like this.
Reply 827
For the malaria and virus question I said;

The female mosquito Anopheles is an example of indirect tranmission that harms the host cell via an intermediate (vector) which enters the blood stream for warmth and feeding on the host cell. However, virus attacks the cells to prevent immunisation to occur. How many marks do you reckon I will get out of 3?

For the zoo conservation question I put down providing medication will prevent the species from suffering any diseases and contributing to the death of organisms. Will I get the mark?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 828
Did anyone put B for the question that said which is the neutrophil on blood strain or whatever it was on MCQ?
I did, yeah, I thought it had the most 'multi-lobed' nucleus.

Did anyone think that the numbers for the microscopes question were completely different to the numbers that they got given in class? It really frustrated me because I went out of my way to learn them and what should've been an easier question is now something I may have gotten wrong.
Reply 830
Original post by Astro_Joe

Did anyone think that the numbers for the microscopes question were completely different to the numbers that they got given in class? It really frustrated me because I went out of my way to learn them and what should've been an easier question is now something I may have gotten wrong.

I put A for that I believe, or C I can't remember.
The magnification for light microscope was x1500 and in nanometres it was 200.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Astro_Joe

Yeah we were told Light 1500x 200nm, TEM 500000x 0.2nm, SEM 100000x 10nm but that wasn't an option. Most people I have spoke to after the exam put C. (the one with light at 200nm resolution and TEM and SEM at 0.2)
Grade boundaries should be 49 for an A. All past papers have been 70% for an A so this may be lower due to a new spec and uncertainty in the breadth content.

May be lower, but I doubt they would be that harsh!
Isn't amylase a protein though?
Original post by oni176
I put A for that I believe.
The magnification for light microscope was x1500 and in nanometres it was 200.

I put D but that was because it seemed like the other figures were most similar to the ones I learnt.
Reply 835
Original post by nwmyname
Grade boundaries should be 49 for an A. All past papers have been 70% for an A so this may be lower due to a new spec and uncertainty in the breadth content.

May be lower, but I doubt they would be that harsh!

I think around 50-52. You are right, but if they do lower it, then it won't be less than 49.
Original post by maxross

Yeah, I believe the answer to that question was D because the biuret test should've been successful, and the benedicts and starch tests should have also been successful (but all only within the membrane.)
Original post by maxross

yes , thats why biuret was positive. I remember it being on the practice MCQs OCR published a while back
Original post by Black Rose
What did everyone write for the structure of blood vessel question?

The artery wall is too thick for diffusion to occur, whereas capillaries are only 1 cell thick so short enough diffusion distance
Original post by maxross
The artery wall is too thick for diffusion to occur, whereas capillaries are only 1 cell thick so short enough diffusion distance

exactly my answer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending