The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lord Huntroyde
In the Times today there was an article about how the pass rate is now 97% or something.

What they don't realise is that EEE is a pass, but it's not much to be proud of (with apologies to mjg).

gime html link plz
Reply 2
Unregistered
gime html link plz

It was in the actual Times paper, I can't find it on their website, if I do, I'll post the link later.

They blamed it on being able to do resits.
Lord Huntroyde
It was in the actual Times paper, I can't find it on their website, if I do, I'll post the link later.

They blamed it on being able to do resits.

More than one in five of the 700,000 A-level entries will get grade As. More than 40% are expected to achieve A or B grades.
Reply 4
Lord Huntroyde
What they don't realise is that EEE is a pass, but it's not much to be proud of (with apologies to mjg).

I think your being a little unfair on people that achieve E grades. That goes with other posts that can imply not getting in the top univerisities, not getting A's makes you a loser or if don't get an A your life is over or something. It certainly isn't the end of the world. Ofcourse an A grade is better and a good achievement. If anything an E grade shows a certain good quality in a person. Despite how hard they may have found their course they never gave it up and showed unwavering commitment. Rightly or wrongly, an E grade is often associated with those that are capable of achieveing better but just do not work as hard. Lets not forget that not everyone is born with the same qualities and have not achieved their results in the same enviroment. Now I'm all for praising those that achieve the A grades as the hard work they have put it in is well deserved. But I don't believe we need to make uneeded comments by poking fun or suggesting their achievement is almost worthless. The grade speaks for itself in the end and I don't think people need their achievements criticised or scrutinised by others.
Reply 5
Koloth
I think your being a little unfair on people that achieve E grades. That goes with other posts that can imply not getting in the top univerisities, not getting A's makes you a loser or if don't get an A your life is over or something. It certainly isn't the end of the world. Ofcourse an A grade is better and a good achievement. If anything an E grade shows a certain good quality in a person. Despite how hard they may have found their course they never gave it up and showed unwavering commitment. Rightly or wrongly, an E grade is often associated with those that are capable of achieveing better but just do not work as hard. Lets not forget that not everyone is born with the same qualities and have not achieved their results in the same enviroment. Now I'm all for praising those that achieve the A grades as the hard work they have put it in is well deserved. But I don't believe we need to make uneeded comments by poking fun or suggesting their achievement is almost worthless. The grade speaks for itself in the end and I don't think people need their achievements criticised or scrutinised by others.

I accept your point but I think if someone puts in real effort they should at least get a C.
Reply 6
Lord Huntroyde
I accept your point but I think if someone puts in real effort they should at least get a C.

Utter twaddle !!!!!!!

You cannot make a blanket statement like that. For all you know, the person acheiving a grade below a C could be the least academically inclined person in the world. This would mean that they have worked VERY hard on getting that E and I for one would say that the E has far more value than a high end grade would be to a naturally gifted person. Achievement is totally relative to the individual and it is unfair, inaccurate and wrong to compare.
Leekey
Utter twaddle !!!!!!!

You cannot make a blanket statement like that. For all you know, the person acheiving a grade below a C could be the least academically inclined person in the world. This would mean that they have worked VERY hard on getting that E and I for one would say that the E has far more value than a high end grade would be to a naturally gifted person. Achievement is totally relative to the individual and it is unfair, inaccurate and wrong to compare.

Well put Leekey. :biggrin: :cool:
Reply 8
Leekey
Utter twaddle !!!!!!!

Okay, so EEE may not be too bad. But if you can't get on a good university course with your fistful of Es (no pun intended) and other employers are less than impressed by your results, (which, no matter what you argue, few employers will actually be impressed with three Es) what have you gained from your two years?
Reply 9
Lord Huntroyde
Okay, so EEE may not be too bad. But if you can't get on a good university course with your fistful of Es (no pun intended) and other employers are less than impressed by your results, (which, no matter what you argue, few employers will actually be impressed with three Es) what have you gained from your two years?

You think that the sole purpose of education is to get you a better job with more money?? If you honestly believe this then I do feel a certain amount of sympathy...

Supposing the person acheive 3 E's just wanted to learn and his only goal was self improvement. Has he not done this?? Is it wrong to try and get an education purely for yourself and not for the material gain???

PS - A-Levels are NOT just a University enterance exam!!!
Reply 10
Lord Huntroyde

Well everyone has their opinions and I would disagree with your one there :smile:. I'll tell you a little personal story.
In my first year at College I did 5 AS subjects. I seem to do much better at Computing than I did at Biology. I put as much effort into Biology than I did Computing. I did all past module papers in test conditions in class for biology, I had one of the best attendence records in the class (Almost 100% if I can remember) and I followed the revision plan I made that gave an equal amount of time revising Biology as I did Computing. I ended up getting a B at AS Computing and a D at Biology. I'd even argue that my Biology teacher was considerably better than my Computing teacher. I definetly believe there is a natural element that makes you good at a particular area. I suppose it depends how much an A Level is made up of real effort and natural intellgence.
Other examples like football can be used. We could argue that anyone can become a division 2 football player based on real effort. Those that are in the premiership need real effort and a natural ability.
In my case for AS levels it obviously wasn't Biology and I probably would have been better choosing a different subject. In the end I dropped Biology after AS and continued my other 4 subjects to A2 Level. I'm expecting better or the same results on my A Levels as I have resat a few modules and been able to dedicate more time per subject as a result of having one less subject.
Reply 11
Leekey
You think that the sole purpose of education is to get you a better job with more money?? If you honestly believe this then I do feel a certain amount of sympathy...

Supposing the person acheive 3 E's just wanted to learn and his only goal was self improvement. Has he not done this?? Is it wrong to try and get an education purely for yourself and not for the material gain???

PS - A-Levels are NOT just a University enterance exam!!!

I agree with the last post, but EEE does not demonstrate a good education. It demonstrates the worst education available at Advanced Level.

If you do A-levels but do not want to go to university, you still need good A-levels because surely the idea of gaining an education is to one day use it to get a good job and have a comfortable life.

If one cannot get good A-level grades, perhaps one must reconsider the options given, there are other ays of gaining qualifications and experiance.
Reply 12
Lord Huntroyde
I agree with the last post, but EEE does not demonstrate a good education. It demonstrates the worst education available at Advanced Level.

If you do A-levels but do not want to go to university, you still need good A-levels because surely the idea of gaining an education is to one day use it to get a good job and have a comfortable life.

If one cannot get good A-level grades, perhaps one must reconsider the options given, there are other ays of gaining qualifications and experiance.

an e distiguishes between people with just gcse's and people who can go a little bit further.

going back to a previous thread.... research has shown that anyone with a pass in maths a level earns up to 20% more than someone who doesnt in relevent vocations.

for some people i agree, a e would be dissapointing, but for some an e might represent 2 years of hard work, which they could be very pleased with
Reply 13
Leekey

If someone dedicated all their student life to education and abandoned a social life then they could be maximising their highest potential grade they can achieve. A good education alone will not guarantee a job.
A social life for example teaches many skills that are not always available in A Levels that are valueable to employers such as communication skills, team work, diplomacy with people etc...
Reply 14
Ollie
an e distiguishes between people with just gcse's and people who can go a little bit further.

going back to a previous thread.... research has shown that anyone with a pass in maths a level earns up to 20% more than someone who doesnt in relevent vocations.

for some people i agree, a e would be dissapointing, but for some an e might represent 2 years of hard work, which they could be very pleased with

I think we have reached a resolution.

I suppose an E in A-level Maths at least shows some kind of understanding, more than any GCSE student especially with the calculus thingy.

And A-levels undoubtably cover more advanced material, so even if you only get an E, you are at least familiar with the topic (calculus is again an excellant example) and should understand the principles. So if an employer needed someone who was familiar with calculus, someone with a Maths A-level pass may be better than someone with an A at GCSE as they will be familiar with calculus and will not need further tuition.
Reply 15
Lord Huntroyde

I think you have misunderstood the point that I am trying to convey. I am suggesting that education (of any standard) is a goal in itself. I do not think that anyone should view education as simply a stepping stone to material gain, this would suggest to me that they are being driven by something other than the persuit of knowledge and the improvement of themself.

If someone does get 3 E's at A-level then I think that they should definitely NOT reconsider anything!!! If it is thier goal to go to university then they should do this, irrespective of where they want / have to do this. Thankfully we live in a society that will allow people to follow what ever education path they desire, almost irrespective of their ability.

Koloth
If someone dedicated all their student life to education and abandoned a social life then they could be maximising their highest potential grade they can achieve. A good education alone will not guarantee a job.
A social life for example teaches many skills that are not always available in A Levels that are valueable to employers such as communication skills, team work, diplomacy with people etc...

^^^Strongly Agree!!!^^^
Reply 16
Bill Gates is a college dropout yet his one of the richest men in the world.
Reply 17
Koloth
Bill Gates is a college dropout yet his one of the richest men in the world.

But graduates run his company for him :biggrin:
Reply 18
Lord Huntroyde
But graduates run his company for him :biggrin:

There wouldn't be a company without him. He is still the boss overall as well.
Reply 19
Koloth
There wouldn't be a company without him.

I know I was just trying to demonstrate that though he may have dropped out of college, there are other people who do really well who have obtained degrees etc. like Sam Walton.

Latest

Trending

Trending