The Student Room Group

Writing a good line of argument?

I currently do A level English literature, and can I just say... I hate prose!! Its interesting and all, but its so hard when it comes to making the essay nice and concise. Do you know how to properly plan for a good essay and make sure you have a line of argument? PLEASE HELP, I DONT WANT TO FAIL!
Original post by Tahmin_r
I currently do A level English literature, and can I just say... I hate prose!! Its interesting and all, but its so hard when it comes to making the essay nice and concise. Do you know how to properly plan for a good essay and make sure you have a line of argument? PLEASE HELP, I DONT WANT TO FAIL!

A few tips:

1. Make sure you read the question and understand what it's asking you to do. Is it asking you to examine, investigate, argue/challenge, personal opinion, explore, etc.

2. PLAN! You have to plan your essays. Whether you are analysing an extract or it's a closed text examination. Make sure you plan. Usually it's an Intro, Para 1, Para 2, Para 3, Para 4, Conclusion.

3. Quotes. You need quotes to back up what you're saying through evidence! Always helps you to understand what you're are trying to say.

And finally, it really comes down to practising essays. You will improve your fluidity of expression, time management and planning!

A lot of improvement will not come from reading different amount of sources, but from improving your writing and essay skills!
Reply 2
Thank you for helping! That's true , I REALLY do need to start doing lots of practise essays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending