The Student Room Group

Can I study an LLM without a secondary education diploma, but with an LLB?

I am finishing my LLB next year at OU, which doesn't require any secondary education. They don't offer an LLM, so I'd have to go brick, and since (I believe) English brick universities do require a secondary education before your apply, I am a bit worried if I can even study an LLM.
I'd be very surprised if any university asked for your secondary qualifications. At postgraduate level it really doesn't matter, all they will care about are your LLB grades.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
I'd be very surprised if any university asked for your secondary qualifications. At postgraduate level it really does matter, all they will care about are your LLB grades.

Most ask for the information as a matter of routine, but it will not have any bearing on their selection decisions.

And for the OP, there are a number of LLMs available by distance learning.
Original post by nulli tertius
Most ask for the information as a matter of routine, but it will not have any bearing on their selection decisions.

And for the OP, there are a number of LLMs available by distance learning.

Why would they ask for grades if they don't care about them? I just realised I made a typo, I meant to say doesn't. :lol: Oops
Original post by Snufkin
Why would they ask for grades if they don't care about them? I just realised I made a typo, I meant to say doesn't. :lol: Oops

Firstly because universities like collecting data for statistical purposes and secondly because they wish to minimise the number of different application forms. There are always a few applicants for post-grad courses who have no first degree.

Look at Portsmouth's application form

http://www.port.ac.uk/accesstoinformation/policies/academicregistry/admissions/filetodownload,35740,en.PDF

It asks for the nationality of your parents. That is only relevant to UK/EU resident, non-EU/UK applicants who have an EU/EEA/Swiss/Turkish parent. How many people apply to Portsmouth each year with a foreign nationality different from that of their parents, yet they collect this information from every single applicant, including those whose family has never ventured further afield than Southampton!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending