The Student Room Group

Help with understanding A-Levels.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Scayron
i won't have to take further maths in a2?

All A Level courses require a different number of modules.
If you're studying A Level Maths they usually come in groups of 3. An A Level is made up of an AS and an A2 (Advanced Subsidiary and A2). When taking A Levels generally your first year you study AS Subjects and 2nd year you study the A2 part of that subject but you can do AS and A2 in a year, A2 is harder than AS. If you want to get into University you will usually have to have at least 3 A Levels at AS/A2, however if you just study AS you will get an AS qualification and these are still accepted by Universities alongside other subjects.

AS Level Mathematics:
Core 1
Core 2
Extra Module from Mechanics, Decision or Statistics.

A2 Level Mathematics:
Core 3
Core 4
Extra Module from Mechanics, Decision or Statistics as long as it hasn't been done before

AS Further Mathematics:
Further Pure 1
2 Extra Modules like before

A2 Further Mathematics:
Further Pure 2 OR Further Pure 3
2 Extra Modules like before, you can also study the other further pure module if you want instead of Mechanics Decision or Stat
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Scayron
i won't have to take further maths in a2?

No A levels are compulsory. You should do what you want to do to gain the qualifications you need for your next step. That could be anything from no Maths, to AS Maths....A level Maths and AS Further Maths......right through to A level Maths, A level Further Maths and A level Additional Further Maths.
Reply 22
What are the units for pure maths? If i took pure maths instead of further maths would i still be able to apply for the units i specified?
Reply 23
ok so i decided to do this:-

AS Maths- C12 S1
A2 Maths- C34 M1
AS Further Maths- FP1 M2 M3

is this viable? i'm thinking of giving AS Further maths exam with my A2 maths exam...can i do that?
Original post by Scayron
AS Maths- C12 S1
A2 Maths- C34 M1
AS Further Maths- FP1 M2 M3

is this viable?

Yes, but you don't choose which qualification your applied units go in. You take them and they are allocated to maximise your grades.
Original post by Scayron
i'm thinking of giving AS Further maths exam with my A2 maths exam...can i do that?

Yes. You can take the exams in any order you like.
Reply 25
what do you mean by i can't choose which qualification my units are slotted in? you mean i can't decide to take m2, m3 in my AS further maths etc?
Original post by Scayron
what do you mean by i can't choose which qualification my units are slotted in? you mean i can't decide to take m2, m3 in my AS further maths etc?

I meant exactly what I said. If you take 9 units then C1-4 go in Maths, FP1 goes in Furher Maths and the Applied units are allocated to whichever qualification maximises your A level Maths grade and satisfies the regulations. It's not worth worrying about:

Because you can't change it

Because it works in your favour.

Just pick 9 units and take them. Stop stressing about things you can't change.
Reply 27
No but I was thinking of giving m1 m2 m3 at the same time since I want to give as further maths with the a2 maths....i'll be giving as maths on jan17 and as further maths and a2 maths on may 2017.....it'll be kind of weird if I have to give m2/m3 before m1...😒
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Scayron
No but I was thinking of giving m1 m2 m3 at the same time since I want to give as further maths with the a2 maths....i'll be giving as maths on jan17 and as further maths and a2 maths on may 2017.....it'll be kind of weird if I have to give m2/m3 before m1...😒

You can take them in any order that suits you. You don't have to take them to fit any particular qualification.
Reply 29
Can i give FP2 instead of M3 on AS further maths? for mechanical/chemical/physics-related engineering which do you think is more suitable M3 OR FP2?
Original post by Scayron
Can i give FP2 instead of M3 on AS further maths? for mechanical/chemical/physics-related engineering which do you think is more suitable M3 OR FP2?

Regulations are here: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Information-manual/4-GCE-and-GCE-in-Applied-Subjects-UK.pdf p63 onwards. Find out.
can i just do biology,chemistry [sychology and c12 and c34 because i lack time i got the octomber session which is in 2 months and and a january session and june session only

Quick Reply

Latest