The Student Room Group

chemistry a level difficulty

hi guys
its only january, but i start sixth form in september.
im quite anxious about chemistry a level? although im doing triple, its not my strong subject. i expect ill be spending a lot of my frees trying to understand what just happened in the lesson (😭).
so my question is, is there sufficient support? it seems like a silly question but i wanted to know if teachers are understanding that you might not understand.
Reply 1
Original post by kshaikhl19
hi guys
its only january, but i start sixth form in september.
im quite anxious about chemistry a level? although im doing triple, its not my strong subject. i expect ill be spending a lot of my frees trying to understand what just happened in the lesson (😭).
so my question is, is there sufficient support? it seems like a silly question but i wanted to know if teachers are understanding that you might not understand.

I'm not sure what things are like at the sixth form you're considering going to but I have a friend who takes chemistry a level who finds the subject really tricky. After asking the school, she has been allowed to participate in two separate chemistry classes a week, meaning she has 10 lessons a week instead of the usual 5. It has been really beneficial to her but she was left with like one free a week.

In short, there should be plenty of support for you but you will have to put in your own time and resources in order to stay at the same level as the rest of the class if you find it hard. I hope this was helpful! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lucymant
I'm not sure what things are like at the sixth form you're considering going to but I have a friend who takes chemistry a level who finds the subject really tricky. After asking the school, she has been allowed to participate in two separate chemistry classes a week, meaning she has 10 lessons a week instead of the usual 5. It has been really beneficial to her but she was left with like one free a week.

In short, there should be plenty of support for you but you will have to put in your own time and resources in order to stay at the same level as the rest of the class if you find it hard. I hope this was helpful! :smile:

thank you that's quite relieving 🙂
Hiya 👋, I completely understand your anxiety around starting sixth form a levels. It is absolutely normal - I started year 12 in September so I can’t give you a run down of much of the course but from what I’ve done I can give you this:

I’m not going to lie, it’s not easy, but I suspect you know that - however (obviously teacher support varies from school to school) there is generally a lot of support with clinics for subject support and most teachers are available for contact most of the time. I would highly recommend websites for revision materials, they help you revise as well as covering lesson content which you are concerned you don’t know (like save my exams, physics and maths tutor, studymind etc…) course content is also covered quite thoroughly and I believe you will revisit it throughout the year to remind you.

I hope that sort of helps, any questions just drop me a note! Sophie
Reply 4
Original post by Sophie Warman
Hiya 👋, I completely understand your anxiety around starting sixth form a levels. It is absolutely normal - I started year 12 in September so I can’t give you a run down of much of the course but from what I’ve done I can give you this:

I’m not going to lie, it’s not easy, but I suspect you know that - however (obviously teacher support varies from school to school) there is generally a lot of support with clinics for subject support and most teachers are available for contact most of the time. I would highly recommend websites for revision materials, they help you revise as well as covering lesson content which you are concerned you don’t know (like save my exams, physics and maths tutor, studymind etc…) course content is also covered quite thoroughly and I believe you will revisit it throughout the year to remind you.

I hope that sort of helps, any questions just drop me a note! Sophie

thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest