The Student Room Group

Stress from gcses contemplating everything

GCSE's are too much for me to handle. its overtaking my whole entire LIFE!!! my emotional state of mind and physically. sometimes in class when learning i wonder whats the point of them. i think of the emotional pain it causes me day in and day out if it is worth the stress. it makes me want to keel over from the stress i induce in daily life. i know everyone feels stressed but i feel like its overwhelming and taking over my whole body leaving me filled with apprehension and unease. i cant even go to sleep, im up all night thinking about them. i haven't even started revision and its march. the thought of the good grades at the end isn't enough to keep me going anymore. i feel so lost and feel like there isn't a purpose for me anymore. please help,any advice would be appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by unknown6657
GCSE's are too much for me to handle. its overtaking my whole entire LIFE!!! my emotional state of mind and physically. sometimes in class when learning i wonder whats the point of them. i think of the emotional pain it causes me day in and day out if it is worth the stress. it makes me want to keel over from the stress i induce in daily life. i know everyone feels stressed but i feel like its overwhelming and taking over my whole body leaving me filled with apprehension and unease. i cant even go to sleep, im up all night thinking about them. i haven't even started revision and its march. the thought of the good grades at the end isn't enough to keep me going anymore. i feel so lost and feel like there isn't a purpose for me anymore. please help,any advice would be appreciated.

trust me that is the easy part but i didn't do well in my gcse's some others did and they are now working part time and earning £10 a hour i work part time for myself and made £5,000 in three weeks on one piece
What are your future plans? If they involve university then you best buckle up. You might feel like they are stressful but then sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel makes you a hard working person. Don't throw it all away now. What year are you in? If you're in year 9 then you should experience year 10.
Reply 3
I feel you. I feel v unmotivated and I just feel like WGATS the point in lyf. I hate school. I hate studying and I hate lyf. I get anxious v v quick yeah and year 11 has been the worst year ov ma lyf.
2 much stress man. I can't handle it no more. Any advice would appreciated ( to the smart people getting as and a*s.)
Reply 4
Original post by Rhythmical
What are your future plans? If they involve university then you best buckle up. You might feel like they are stressful but then sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel makes you a hard working person. Don't throw it all away now. What year are you in? If you're in year 9 then you should experience year 10.

Im in year 11. i do want to however i try so hard to find the motivation but it just doesnt want to come to me. i try endlessly to chase it and for my motivation and perseverance to overthrow my procrastination and negative mindset but for me its just impossible. ( sigh)
Reply 5
Original post by herabegum
I feel you. I feel v unmotivated and I just feel like WGATS the point in lyf. I hate school. I hate studying and I hate lyf. I get anxious v v quick yeah and year 11 has been the worst year ov ma lyf.
2 much stress man. I can't handle it no more. Any advice would appreciated ( to the smart people getting as and a*s.)

I know what you mean. my negativity has taken over my whole life because of GCSE's. i cry myself to sleep sometimes at the thought of going to school. in lessons i just sit there and feel like crying. i just have this twisted knot of anxiety at the pit of my stomach its just growing and growing, and just makes me feel so scared even thinking about exams. but i hope you overcome it as i am trying to. remember hera ( nice name btw) that we shouldnt give these menial things in our life producing negativity so much power and authority over our lives. we as human can overcome these menial exams we are stronger than the education system we shall not give into the stress it provides us.
(edited 8 years ago)
You've got over a month left until exams and that's definitely enough time to turn things around. Start by trying to relax a bit because you can do this. Calm down, start getting enough sleep and remember to eat well etc and then you'll feel better. Make a revision timetable for every week until exams, it's enough time to space revision out into manageable chunks. Try and do a little revision every day, even a tiny bit is better than nothing. All you need to do is just one month of solid work and you'll get good grades, everything will be okay. Stop overthinking it, you've got more than enough time to turn things around.
Reply 7
Original post by secretgoldfish_
You've got over a month left until exams and that's definitely enough time to turn things around. Start by trying to relax a bit because you can do this. Calm down, start getting enough sleep and remember to eat well etc and then you'll feel better. Make a revision timetable for every week until exams, it's enough time to space revision out into manageable chunks. Try and do a little revision every day, even a tiny bit is better than nothing. All you need to do is just one month of solid work and you'll get good grades, everything will be okay. Stop overthinking it, you've got more than enough time to turn things around.

thanks so much, how much revision/ work have you done?
thanks so much, how much revision/ work have you done?

I'm doing A levels and haven't done much work because I'm focusing on coursework right now, but I'm planning to start proper revision next week :smile:
PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER.
GET THE SUBJECT SPECIFICATIONS FOR EACH OF YOUR SUBJECT ON THE SPECIFIC EXAM BOARD YOUR ARE SITTING, and save them on your computer now.

Look through them asking yourself:

1) What's on here that I know?
2) What's here that I need quick brushing up on?
3) What's here that I need a lot of work on?
4) what the **** is that.... lol

I'm sorry but if you were expecting motivation from anywhere or anyone, that boat has taken sail weeks ago. At this point in the year you cannot sit there and feel sorry for yourself, you need to work. The examiner does not know any excuses that you now have. Now, I know you may not like this response at first - but please. Don't waste your Easter holiday sulking in depression; get up and do some revision!

You can do this!
Hi guys, Here are some articles I found useful:http://www.independent.co.uk/student/student-life/10-ways-to-beat-exam-stress-9055969.htmlhttp://www.independent.co.uk/student/student-life/the-science-of-exam-stress-beating-the-study-blues-9049100.html

Exams are important, but putting so much pressure on yourself will only demotivate you and give you a negative attitude to studying. When you feel stressed, take out a moment or two and just focus on your breathing. Or try writing out your emotions and stresses. If I get a bad grade, I get a bad grade and I will try and retake the exam if I can.

Remember there are lots of sucessful people who haven't done that great in exams but look where they are now! Lord Sugar, Richard Branson. So remember even if you don't do that great, you can still be really successful.

View exams like a quiz or a chance to show off some of your awesomeness!

When you start revising, take a deep breath and believe in yourself, cos you can do this and when you start, just breathe and do whatever you do when you revise. And if all that anxiety comes, and that tightness comes, remover that, that knit is going to nothing but make you feel down and that you don't need it and you can do this.Think of how proud you will feel when you overcome all of this. Get ya Patronus on! Listen to some motivational and inspiring songs to get you feel pumped! :biggrin:

Also try and make revision fun? Start of with the subjects you enjoy, read, flash cards, loads of past papers, sing your notes, say your notes in weird accents, record yourself saying your notes and listen to them when you aren't really doing anything like walking to school, brushing your teeth. Also try teaching topic to someone, revise with a friend.

Also do plenty of past papers so you feel ready for the exam and know what techniques work, and do them in exam conditions you feel ready for them.

If you are struggling with some topics, get help from a teacher or a friend and use cgp guides and good websites!

(edited 8 years ago)
Im in year 11. i do want to however i try so hard to find the motivation but it just doesnt want to come to me. i try endlessly to chase it and for my motivation and perseverance to overthrow my procrastination and negative mindset but for me its just impossible. ( sigh)

You sound a lot like me because I went through depression and a negative mindset that just wouldn't shake. I tried so hard and it didn't pay off but I knew I could have done more. I lost my best friend during year 11 so that was partly the reason I failed. If you ever want to talk - I'm always here. The best thing you can do is attempt your best, try past papers and de stress your mind by listening to music, doing what you enjoy and just being as strong as possible. I've turned it around as I'm doing my A Levels so never give up. Procrastination is a trait everyone has but they never admit it - for fears of being lazy. It's a part of who we are, I procrastinate a lot but my motivation makes me do ten hours of work in half an hour which is probably not good!

Sorry if I'm late BUT CHILL OUT.

Stop thinking about those GCSE ''s - like you said, it's March, there's still plenty of time left - do something else for a couple of days, take a break and then come back to it.

If you still can't find the motivation then it's fine. It'll come soon. Maybe in the form of a very bad mock exam grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FabulouslyAwks
Hi guys, Here are some articles I found useful:http://www.independent.co.uk/student/student-life/10-ways-to-beat-exam-stress-9055969.htmlhttp://www.independent.co.uk/student/student-life/the-science-of-exam-stress-beating-the-study-blues-9049100.html

Exams are important, but putting so much pressure on yourself will only demotivate you and give you a negative attitude to studying. When you feel stressed, take out a moment or two and just focus on your breathing. Or try writing out your emotions and stresses. If I get a bad grade, I get a bad grade and I will try and retake the exam if I can.

Remember there are lots of sucessful people who haven't done that great in exams but look where they are now! Lord Sugar, Richard Branson. So remember even if you don't do that great, you can still be really successful.

View exams like a quiz or a chance to show off some of your awesomeness!

When you start revising, take a deep breath and believe in yourself, cos you can do this and when you start, just breathe and do whatever you do when you revise. And if all that anxiety comes, and that tightness comes, remover that, that knit is going to nothing but make you feel down and that you don't need it and you can do this.Think of how proud you will feel when you overcome all of this. Get ya Patronus on! Listen to some motivational and inspiring songs to get you feel pumped! :biggrin:

Also try and make revision fun? Start of with the subjects you enjoy, read, flash cards, loads of past papers, sing your notes, say your notes in weird accents, record yourself saying your notes and listen to them when you aren't really doing anything like walking to school, brushing your teeth. Also try teaching topic to someone, revise with a friend.

Also do plenty of past papers so you feel ready for the exam and know what techniques work, and do them in exam conditions you feel ready for them.

If you are struggling with some topics, get help from a teacher or a friend and use cgp guides and good websites!

thank u so much
still failin tho :"(
Original post by herabegum
thank u so much
still failin tho :"(

No man you can do it! I believe in you! We have 2 months and that's plenty of time to turn things around, trust me! We just have to work super hard and we will get there!
Reply 15
Original post by nomophobia
Sorry if I'm late BUT CHILL OUT.

Stop thinking about those GCSE ''s - like you said, it's March, there's still plenty of time left - do something else for a couple of days, take a break and then come back to it.

If you still can't find the motivation then it's fine. It'll come soon. Maybe in the form of a very bad mock exam grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i knoww. thank you for your help though!
Reply 16
Original post by yepthatsme
PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER.
GET THE SUBJECT SPECIFICATIONS FOR EACH OF YOUR SUBJECT ON THE SPECIFIC EXAM BOARD YOUR ARE SITTING, and save them on your computer now.

Look through them asking yourself:

1) What's on here that I know?
2) What's here that I need quick brushing up on?
3) What's here that I need a lot of work on?
4) what the **** is that.... lol

I'm sorry but if you were expecting motivation from anywhere or anyone, that boat has taken sail weeks ago. At this point in the year you cannot sit there and feel sorry for yourself, you need to work. The examiner does not know any excuses that you now have. Now, I know you may not like this response at first - but please. Don't waste your Easter holiday sulking in depression; get up and do some revision!

You can do this!

so true.thanks!
This is honestly the saddest thing ever to read but whatever happens in that exam, U or A*, you're going to walk out with all your limbs and your identity still there. You need to get some meditation going on and know that exams aren't everything!! There's 26 letters in the alphabet so if plan A doesn't work, you have 25 other goes at life... I think you need to ask yourself what is the worst that can happen and all it is is that you may not get to do your first choice in your career path but there are millions more out there. Do your revision, eat your food and get your sleep and there is no way that you can go wrong!!

I OH I OH I YOU GOT ME FEEELIN DRUNK AND HIGH SO HIGH SO HIGH XXX

takibg music gcses and currentl fsling that

and englishc

Literally just go and sit your exams. Even if you do no work and end up with one GCSE you will still be better qualified than many of the people in this country.

Quick Reply

Latest