Surrey or Sheffield for Aerospace engineering? Watch

3enrique
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I can't visit any of them before doing my decision. Also, I would like to focus more in the space/rocket sector.

Thanks!
3enrique
Rep:
?
No one? I really need any help!
Summit
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For space Surrey is world class.
3enrique
Rep:
?
So Surrey then?
Summit
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 3enrique)
So Surrey then?
Personally, I would go to Surrey. Did you visit the universities?
3enrique
Rep:
?
I am from Spain so I haven't been able to.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So Surrey then?
Surrey has http://www.surrey.ac.uk/ssc/

Posted from TSR Mobile
3enrique
Rep:
?
So that's another point for Surrey!
3enrique
Rep:
?
Any other opinion? It is a really important decision.
3enrique
Rep:
?
Other opinions are still needed!
Helloworld_95
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The SSC and Surrey's space reputation are related so I'd argue that's 1 point to Surrey

I'd say Sheffield's aerospace course gives you a greater ability to branch out into different engineering disciplines, pick the right speciality and you can very easily do a masters in another discipline, notably mechanical, materials, EEE and systems, you'd also have a good basis for doing a conversion masters for computer science. Looking at Surrey's module list you actually don't do a lot of space stuff there until 3 optional modules come up in 4th year, and most of the content in two of those is covered in 2nd and 3rd year at Sheffield. Your best option is probably doing a BEng at Sheffield then an MSc at Surrey if you want to get into the space industry, that way you get the best of both worlds.

Sheffield also has a lot more things to do as a city and university, e.g. it's a lot more lively, societies are very easy to get into and there are lots of projects to get involved with like University of Sheffield Enterprise and Sheffield University Research Experience.
3enrique
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
The SSC and Surrey's space reputation are related so I'd argue that's 1 point to Surrey

I'd say Sheffield's aerospace course gives you a greater ability to branch out into different engineering disciplines, pick the right speciality and you can very easily do a masters in another discipline, notably mechanical, materials, EEE and systems, you'd also have a good basis for doing a conversion masters for computer science. Looking at Surrey's module list you actually don't do a lot of space stuff there until 3 optional modules come up in 4th year, and most of the content in two of those is covered in 2nd and 3rd year at Sheffield. Your best option is probably doing a BEng at Sheffield then an MSc at Surrey if you want to get into the space industry, that way you get the best of both worlds.

Sheffield also has a lot more things to do as a city and university, e.g. it's a lot more lively, societies are very easy to get into and there are lots of projects to get involved with like University of Sheffield Enterprise and Sheffield University Research Experience.

Thank you for your help. The things is that I will be doing the MEng, would this change your advice?
Helloworld_95
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for your help. The things is that I will be doing the MEng, would this change your advice?
Not really as you can switch between the BEng and MEng until the end of second year and as an EU student it's not going to make much difference to your financial situation if you do your 4 years as an MEng or BEng+MSc. Even if the <£2000 difference was a problem (~£1000 if we're talking after loans), you get a greater advantage out of having networked in two universities and the MSc carries a greater amount of information than the 4th year of an MEng.

My recommendation is that, unless you have worked in astronautics before, go for Sheffield, astronautic connections are really the only thing which Surrey has that Sheffield doesn't and it's quite a minor thing. In practice your interest in such a specific area (or rather one that doesn't really represent any area of engineering) will be gone by the end of first year no matter which university you go to.
3enrique
Rep:
?
Now I am more confused at such different opinions...

Any other opinion?
3enrique
Rep:
?
Help!!
windowtosky
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, not sure if this is any help but I'll go to Surrey for aerospace engineering BEng It's a great university with a really good reputation.
3enrique
Rep:
?
Thanks!

Any other opinion would be of great help!
abdi96xd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks!

Any other opinion would be of great help!
Im going surrey for aerospace. I had other offers like bristol. But surrey seemed better when i visited. They got a space centre and a rolls royce technology centre.
3enrique
Rep:
?
Thanks! I think I'll take Surrey then!
Helloworld_95
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks! I think I'll take Surrey then!
Urmm to argue against that, Sheffield has the AMRC which is a joint operation between Boeing, Rolls Royce, the university and a bunch of other companies, we also have an Industrial training program with Rolls Royce as part of our course (there will also be one with Siemens when you get to it).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?