The Student Room Group

Failing third year-possible resit?

So I passed my first and second year and everything was going well. I was having a few issues with my mental health, medication changes and things but nothing major. Then in November after 6 years clean my mum had a heroine relapse. This meant I had to go home and take care of my mum and brother and uni fell by the wayside, my mental health plummeted again and after my first three assignments I didn't hand anything else in.
My course leader was aware of the situation but I've not been in contact with him since January, I've basically fallen off the radar as far as uni is concerned.
My mum's just come out of rehab and hopefully will be able to stay clean again, I'm setting up a meeting with my course leader next week to see if I can resit the entirety of third year. Uni has always been very supportive of my mental health issues and has been aware of them since I started. I can provide evidence of my mental health problems and my mum being in rehab and on a methadone programme and the dates of these. Given all this do you think the university would grant me mitigating circumstances and let me resit the year?
(edited 8 years ago)
Imo yes. It was beyond your control. I wouldnt worry about it. You have the rest of the year to sort things out and get your own mental health in order. I wouldnt be worried at all.
Go and talk to your Personal Tutor - or at least email him/her. If the Uni arent up to date on your situation they may just assume that you have simply dropped out. Its rare for anyone to be allowed to resit an entire 3rd year but ifd your family situation justifies it they may let you. But you MUST get in touch with the Uni as soon as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending