The Student Room Group

Repeating a module in next year.

I failed a module in second year so the exam board allowed my to “carry fails forward” and progress to third year. And my marks will be capped to lowest compensate mark (30).

My question is if I am taking this in year 3 does that mean it counts as Year 3 module and additional credit. How does the marking work will my new marks (30 if I pass) replace the existing mark that I received in the module (27 I got) or they are new marks in Year 3?

Please help.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sham44_
I failed a module in second year so the exam board allowed my to “carry fails forward” and progress to third year. And my marks will be capped to lowest compensate mark (30).

My question is if I am taking this in year 3 does that mean it counts as Year 3 module and additional credit. How does the marking work will my new marks (30 if I pass) replace the existing mark that I received in the module (27 I got) or they are new marks in Year 3?

Please help.

Suspect each Univ. has different appraoches [ they shouldnt !- but probably do]. Ask them or your Stud Union directly. I'm in ht same boat. Failed one module[ which im disputing but still]. I definetly dont want it to be an 'albatross around my neck'. I await the exam board before i make my next move,
In my experience when this was offered to me, the module is taken on top of your full workload for the following year. I was advised it's generally only recommended when they are reasonably confident the student can cope with the higher than usual workload (as then you're effectively taking more than the full amount of credits needed for a single year as you "lag" the module from the previous year alongside your other courses).

The marks will be part of your second year marks I would imagine, but this may be university specific. Can't comment on the mark capping element as this is a) probably uni specific and b) I don't have experience of it in this context as I was offered to lag a module in this way uncapped (due to extenuating circumstances).
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
In my experience when this was offered to me, the module is taken on top of your full workload for the following year. I was advised it's generally only recommended when they are reasonably confident the student can cope with the higher than usual workload (as then you're effectively taking more than the full amount of credits needed for a single year as you "lag" the module from the previous year alongside your other courses).

The marks will be part of your second year marks I would imagine, but this may be university specific. Can't comment on the mark capping element as this is a) probably uni specific and b) I don't have experience of it in this context as I was offered to lag a module in this way uncapped (due to extenuating circumstances).

Please can you help with this matter:

So actually I finished third year and got my degree results today. This year I was taking 120 credits + 10 from last year resit module. I calculated my final year grade and got 715/1200 but instead the uni has applied 715/1300 and this has pulled my grade down. It actually has an impact on my final degree classification. The resit module says 30C indicating it’s been compensated.

Could you guide me further?
Original post by sham44_
Please can you help with this matter:

So actually I finished third year and got my degree results today. This year I was taking 120 credits + 10 from last year resit module. I calculated my final year grade and got 715/1200 but instead the uni has applied 715/1300 and this has pulled my grade down. It actually has an impact on my final degree classification. The resit module says 30C indicating it’s been compensated.

Could you guide me further?

I can't really advise as I don't even understand your calculation, and invariably whatever your final result is will be dependent on your individual uni's policies. I would suggest speaking with your personal tutor/director of studies to understand how they came to whatever result you got, and clarify how the "lagged" module factors into that. They will be best placed to advise really.

I would have expected the resit module being "lagged" to go against the second year results. That said, it doesn't look like the marks from the resit module was factored into your third year results at all, but it was calculated against 130 credits. So definitely worth flagging and may be grounds for a procedural appeal?
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
I can't really advise as I don't even understand your calculation, and invariably whatever your final result is will be dependent on your individual uni's policies. I would suggest speaking with your personal tutor/director of studies to understand how they came to whatever result you got, and clarify how the "lagged" module factors into that. They will be best placed to advise really.

I would have expected the resit module being "lagged" to go against the second year results. That said, it doesn't look like the marks from the resit module was factored into your third year results at all, but it was calculated against 130 credits. So definitely worth flagging and may be grounds for a procedural appeal?

Yes, indeed the marks from the resit module weren’t factored into my third year result. They just applied my 120 credit mark (final year modules) against 130 credits. Also I noted if the resit module mark really goes to replace my second year mark (got 27 initially, now 30) I would see minor increase in the year 2 average as they are rounded to 3 decimal place.

My personal tutor is unavailable till 11 July but I will go campus tomorrow and see if I can find someone helpful. Fingers crossed.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by sham44_
Yes, indeed the marks from the resit module weren’t factored into my third year result. They just applied my 120 credit mark (final year modules) against 130 credits. Also I noted if the resit module mark really goes to replace my second year mark (got 27 initially, now 30) I would see minor increase in the year 2 average as they are rounded to 3 decimal place.

My personal tutor is unavailable till 11 July but I will go campus tomorrow and see if I can find someone helpful. Fingers crossed.

It does sound like a procedural error on their part overall. Outside of your personal tutor there will usually be a director of studies/course coordinator for the overall degree programme (although that may also be the same person as your personal tutor) who would be the next best (or sometimes first best) person to go to with stuff like this. Otherwise at the very least try speaking with your student union about how to approach this as they will have more detailed information about the processes at your uni and who would be best to speak to :smile:
Reply 7
I would expect the second year module to count towards your second-year mark. It sounds like they've counted it against the third-year mark instead.

I suspect this is an administrative error that can be fixed. (And if your course is affected by the marking and assessment boycott, the admin staff will probably be swamped with additional work, and it may be that they've slipped up here.)

You do need to query this, and hopefully it will be straightforward to get sorted.
Reply 8
Whichever Univ this is - sounds very unimpressive.

Original post by sham44_

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending