The Student Room Group

“Gift Years” - help I need some clarification

Hi everyone, bit of a long one but essentially, I may need to resit my last year of uni but I’m concerned about funding, so I went to uni at my home college for 2 weeks in 2018 then dropped out, the following year I started a foundation degree at another university, which I failed, i then started another degree at a different university, at the beginning of this student finance gave me a year of funding back as I had only done the two weeks at the college, and I’ve excelled at this university since, however due to a lot of personal circumstances, I have had to push my dissertation back a year and I should pass this year but I’m concerned about my maintenance loan for the dissertation year, as the uni I am at is about 400 miles away from home so I can’t really do it from home, and I’m concerned about my living costs, I didn’t know if it was better just to see about resitting my whole third year for finance purposes but I’m concerned I won’t get an extra year of funding as they had already given me one back for those two weeks, I know people have been given them because they failed a year which I was hoping would be the case as I failed the foundation year at the other uni, I just don’t really know what to do for the best in this situation, even if I can get the minimum loan for next year that would be fine as it’s just my rent I’m concerned about, I work part time so I can cover any extra costs, but if anyone could give me some advice or has been in a similar position And knows what to do that would be fantastic
Original post by Boycey606
Hi everyone, bit of a long one but essentially, I may need to resit my last year of uni but I’m concerned about funding, so I went to uni at my home college for 2 weeks in 2018 then dropped out, the following year I started a foundation degree at another university, which I failed, i then started another degree at a different university, at the beginning of this student finance gave me a year of funding back as I had only done the two weeks at the college, and I’ve excelled at this university since, however due to a lot of personal circumstances, I have had to push my dissertation back a year and I should pass this year but I’m concerned about my maintenance loan for the dissertation year, as the uni I am at is about 400 miles away from home so I can’t really do it from home, and I’m concerned about my living costs, I didn’t know if it was better just to see about resitting my whole third year for finance purposes but I’m concerned I won’t get an extra year of funding as they had already given me one back for those two weeks, I know people have been given them because they failed a year which I was hoping would be the case as I failed the foundation year at the other uni, I just don’t really know what to do for the best in this situation, even if I can get the minimum loan for next year that would be fine as it’s just my rent I’m concerned about, I work part time so I can cover any extra costs, but if anyone could give me some advice or has been in a similar position And knows what to do that would be fantastic

Hi there,

Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study.

Do you have any Compelling Personal Reasons evidence (CPR) why you need to repeat your last year? If you do have this, you can send this to see if it's possible to get finance for the repeat year. The evidence would be a letter on headed paper signed/stamped and dated from someone in profession i.e. Doctor/lecturer who knows the CPR. They must know how it affected your studies and the dates it affected you. Once received it will be up to the assessor if this will be accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending