The Student Room Group

CIE IGCSE Geography Paper 1 2016

Scroll to see replies

I didn't find it too hard tbh, but there were a couple of questions which I didn't like, especially in theme 3 e.g why is hdi a good measure and why some countries are more developed etc.
Is 75% really an A*? I though it was like 80 - 83 and because i messed up my coursework (41/60) I worked out that I could lose 12 marks in total for both to get an A*.
Also do examiners mark answers that aren't on the lines and aren't on the additional paper, when I went through I did loads of asterisks and did one sentence to the side or something. Some people were saying that only the question lines themselves get scanned, but some said it was the whole sheet. Anyone know?
Original post by sneaky beaver
yeh i found that pretty hard, then i found out someone from our school did 1,3 and 4, and i bet he's not the only one, I swear you were meant to answer 1 question from 1 and 2, 1 question from 3 and 4, and 1 question from 5 and 6.

Apparently in previous years you were allowed to answer any 3 questions from the 3 sections. I found it pretty difficult too
Yeah I did question 5 nike which I found I could write a lot about! Overall I found it quite easy but that's only because my geography teacher is a legend. But I do find coasts quite hard and I didn't revise climate so I'll see how that goes! HDI is a composite index made up of purchasing power, education provision and life expectancy at birth isn't it? I don't know but that's what I put!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by dk2000
could i ask why the entire thing is out of 220? paper one, two and coursework surely adds up to 195 so i don't get why it's 220

I think they times your paper 1 mark by 1.77 to give it's weighting
Reply 24
Original post by sneaky beaver
yeh i found that pretty hard, then i found out someone from our school did 1,3 and 4, and i bet he's not the only one, I swear you were meant to answer 1 question from 1 and 2, 1 question from 3 and 4, and 1 question from 5 and 6.

You are but idk how strict they'll be :/
To be honest, I would be really annoyed if they let anyone get away with doing two questions from one theme and not doing the other!

I liked all four questions from theme one and two, but I really didn't like either of the questions from theme three. In the end I went with Q1 population and Bangladesh Case Study, Q4 the weather and climate one and Arabian Desert Case study, and for Q5 part (a) and (b) were fine but the case study was terrible (my TNC case study just didn't fit) and for Q6 - which is what I did - I liked the case study part (I had all of the data and case specific references for China) but I didn't really like the 5 mark question on conserving natural resources at all. If I could have done Q1, Q2, and Q4 then I probably would have an extra 5 or so marks overall.
I thought the specimen paper was much easier!
in the coast seven marker question i wrote a ton of case specifics but only explained 3 ways in which the coast is managed (in depth)
I said sea walls , groynes and beach replenishment
Is that ok??
Original post by TheBirder
To be honest, I would be really annoyed if they let anyone get away with doing two questions from one theme and not doing the other!

I liked all four questions from theme one and two, but I really didn't like either of the questions from theme three. In the end I went with Q1 population and Bangladesh Case Study, Q4 the weather and climate one and Arabian Desert Case study, and for Q5 part (a) and (b) were fine but the case study was terrible (my TNC case study just didn't fit) and for Q6 - which is what I did - I liked the case study part (I had all of the data and case specific references for China) but I didn't really like the 5 mark question on conserving natural resources at all. If I could have done Q1, Q2, and Q4 then I probably would have an extra 5 or so marks overall.
I thought the specimen paper was much easier!

yeeeeea i know the specimen was so kmuch easier especially the 5 marker
Original post by gcseexamz
in the coast seven marker question i wrote a ton of case specifics but only explained 3 ways in which the coast is managed (in depth)
I said sea walls , groynes and beach replenishment
Is that ok??

According to the new mark scheme style for the specimen paper for the 7 mark questions, you need a minimum of three main points, each developed, and at least one case specific reference for each one.
Though I'm not sure if those three things are distinct enough to be three main points.
I got 100% in my geography IGCSE, and so I am selling my notes on Notesale. They are only £1-£1.50 and quality. They are all entitled 'IGCSE Geography:' and then the topic you need notes for, for example if you want notes for fragile environments then the title of the notes are 'IGCSE Geography: Fragile Environments'. My name is Arjav Jain and if you want an A* then buy these notes
Original post by ajain8515
I got 100% in my geography IGCSE, and so I am selling my notes on Notesale. They are only £1-£1.50 and quality. They are all entitled 'IGCSE Geography:' and then the topic you need notes for, for example if you want notes for fragile environments then the title of the notes are 'IGCSE Geography: Fragile Environments'. My name is Arjav Jain and if you want an A* then buy these notes

Geography iGCSE is over lmao, go advertise elsewhere

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending