The Student Room Group

Edexcel English literature timings?

Hey guys just a quick one!

I was wondering about how long I should spend on each question for Jekyll and Hyde and Of Mice And Men. (I have 3 questions for Jekyll and Hyde and 1 for Of Mice and Men). The exam is 1 hour and 45 minutes overall by the way :smile:

Thank you!
-Han
I don't do the same board as you but I would say divide the time up according to the marks and when you run out of time leave that question and move on to the next one and make sure you factor in time for planning to avoid just rambling on. I am also doing GCSEs and I find timing really hard especially for English and History, I just tend to write slowly. My teacher gave me advice and said to watch the news and write down as much as I can to practise writing faster, I just haven't got around to it yet.
Original post by niv1234
I don't do the same board as you but I would say divide the time up according to the marks and when you run out of time leave that question and move on to the next one and make sure you factor in time for planning to avoid just rambling on. I am also doing GCSEs and I find timing really hard especially for English and History, I just tend to write slowly. My teacher gave me advice and said to watch the news and write down as much as I can to practise writing faster, I just haven't got around to it yet.

Thank you very much!
I usually split it up like this:
105 minutes total
50 minutes on essay 1
-Made up of 5 minutes planning and 45 minutes of just writing my head off. I usually write about 3 points so I give about 15 minutes per point after doing my introduction and then a quick conclusion at the end that clearly links and sums up all of my points

50 minutes on essay 2
-Same as other one

Spare 5 minutes if I'm a bit slow in planning or if I have a really good but long point. Any time left is spent skimming through and checking all of my points.

My advice is: Just write. Start writing before you have time to have a mental breakdown :biggrin:
Good luck! I have my iGCSE Edexcel Eng. Lit. on Monday as well!
Reply 4
These are the timings we decided as a class:

5 mins for annotating extract
11 mins on 8 mark question
17 mins on 12 mark question
22 mins on 16 mark question

Then for OMAM use 5 mins to plan and 50 mins to write.
Reply 5
Im planning to do 45 mins on Jekyll and Hyde around 55 for of mice and men because its worth more. The rest will be split between both where im going to annotate the extracts or maybe plan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks everyone for the help, goodluck to everyone doing this tomorrow too :smile:
Original post by Macaronat
I usually split it up like this:
105 minutes total
50 minutes on essay 1
-Made up of 5 minutes planning and 45 minutes of just writing my head off. I usually write about 3 points so I give about 15 minutes per point after doing my introduction and then a quick conclusion at the end that clearly links and sums up all of my points

50 minutes on essay 2
-Same as other one

Spare 5 minutes if I'm a bit slow in planning or if I have a really good but long point. Any time left is spent skimming through and checking all of my points.

My advice is: Just write. Start writing before you have time to have a mental breakdown :biggrin:
Good luck! I have my iGCSE Edexcel Eng. Lit. on Monday as well!

Thank you mate! Good luck too!
Original post by HannahGoodman
Thank you mate! Good luck too!

Haha np, but now that I think about it the GCSE paper might be structured differently to IGCSE if you're doing GCSE. For IGCSE we just get essay questions on the 2 written works.
Original post by Macaronat
Haha np, but now that I think about it the GCSE paper might be structured differently to IGCSE if you're doing GCSE. For IGCSE we just get essay questions on the 2 written works.

Yeah I'm not doing IGCSE but I still have to write essayslike you, they're probably worded differently.
How I do mine is:
Section A (for you its Jekyll and Hyde) - 1 hour total
Section B (Of Mice and Men) - 45 minutes total

But that's only because I find section A harder, especially finding a different extract for part c!

You should split up the time according to what your strengths/weaknesses are :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending