The Student Room Group

Help for a desperate student :(

I have finished my external As exams, during the period I pretty much had a nervous breakdown. I have been in a anxious depressed state all year, ( I've been anxious for most of my teens but my poor mental state's break down was catalysed by a teacher - i dont want to type it all out again but ive written it in previous posts). Im now in the process of being refered to camhs and my doctors signed me off for the rest of the year ( I can go in as much as I am able to) but I still have internal exams- in biology and chemistry. I already ruined my psychology and latin Im in no state to take anymore for the time being.

I want to be a medic in the future and I know deep down that I have the ability to get the grades ( I have the work experience and extra-curriculars in buckets too) just in my current state I cant sit an exam for **** - so I know these internal exams are going to be horrific and Ill never get the predicted grades and Ill just caause myself undue pain for nothing. How can I breached to the school to put off my exams until the begining of next year?
Reply 1
Original post by Boo_Ayres13
I have finished my external As exams, during the period I pretty much had a nervous breakdown. I have been in a anxious depressed state all year, ( I've been anxious for most of my teens but my poor mental state's break down was catalysed by a teacher - i dont want to type it all out again but ive written it in previous posts). Im now in the process of being refered to camhs and my doctors signed me off for the rest of the year ( I can go in as much as I am able to) but I still have internal exams- in biology and chemistry. I already ruined my psychology and latin Im in no state to take anymore for the time being.

I want to be a medic in the future and I know deep down that I have the ability to get the grades ( I have the work experience and extra-curriculars in buckets too) just in my current state I cant sit an exam for **** - so I know these internal exams are going to be horrific and Ill never get the predicted grades and Ill just caause myself undue pain for nothing. How can I breached to the school to put off my exams until the begining of next year?

Hey,

Tbph, if your school aren't complete c***s, they would accept a doctor's note. Either that, or just don;t go to school on the days of the exams and hope. Are your parents on your side?

Worst case, by taking the exams late, you won;t be in the pressure of the room with lots of people; it will be slightly better.

I'm in the same position as you, you;re not alone at all! I'm always here if I can help with anything, or if you just want someone to talk to.

Hope this helps, don't be afraid to message me!

H
Reply 2
Hey,

Tbph, if your school aren't complete c***s, they would accept a doctor's note. Either that, or just don;t go to school on the days of the exams and hope. Are your parents on your side?

Worst case, by taking the exams late, you won;t be in the pressure of the room with lots of people; it will be slightly better.

I'm in the same position as you, you;re not alone at all! I'm always here if I can help with anything, or if you just want someone to talk to.

Thank you for being so helpful, I have a letter from a doctor that says I can be excused from lesosns from the next four weeks , but he gave my that nearly 3 weeks ago when I was still in study leave so it appears I should be back next week but It is intended to mean the next four weeks (the last 4 weeks of term) :frown: I'm worried they;; be like well this is no longer effective :frown:

I am seeing my regular doctor again next week so Im hoping I can get another letter but It was hard enough getting this one :frown:
everything in my life is just falling apart and last night my foster- grandma got a bleed in the brain and is in hospital :frown: everything is going to pieces :frown:
Reply 3
[QUOTE="Boo_Ayres13;65781147"]
Original post by 09HB
Hey,

Thank you for being so helpful, I have a letter from a doctor that says I can be excused from lesosns from the next four weeks , but he gave my that nearly 3 weeks ago when I was still in study leave so it appears I should be back next week but It is intended to mean the next four weeks (the last 4 weeks of term) :frown: I'm worried they;; be like well this is no longer effective :frown:

I am seeing my regular doctor again next week so Im hoping I can get another letter but It was hard enough getting this one :frown:
everything in my life is just falling apart and last night my foster- grandma got a bleed in the brain and is in hospital :frown: everything is going to pieces :frown:

Life really has dealt you a s*** hand, hasn't it? Can I PM you, or you PM me?

H
You need to talk to your GP about how you feel and what you want. He might suggest you see a therapist and they can write you a supporting letter depending on what their view of your mental health is. What you seem to be saying is you will not be prepared for the exams anyway.

You should speak to some of the medical students. As far as I was aware they are sometimes pretty keen that your A levels mist be say start to finish in a two year period, whih doesnt really give you scope for resits, without doing the whole course. That creates a problem for you if doing old spec as for many subjects the last chance to retake AS or A2 will be in 2017. That could be a very big strain. The priority is to get your mental health sorted out.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
You need to talk to your GP about how you feel and what you want. He might suggest you see a therapist and they can write you a supporting letter depending on what their view of your mental health is. What you seem to be saying is you will not be prepared for the exams anyway.

You should speak to some of the medical students. As far as I was aware they are sometimes pretty keen that your A levels mist be say start to finish in a two year period, whih doesnt really give you scope for resits, without doing the whole course. That creates a problem for you if doing old spec as for many subjects the last chance to retake AS or A2 will be in 2017. That could be a very big strain. The priority is to get your mental health sorted out.

Thanks for your words, luckily these are just internal exams for the new spec ( so they really count for absolutely nothing except predicted grades- so Im asking to push them back until september

mY gP 's view is that I need help fairly soon, especially since my physicall help has deteriorated so fast (ive lost nearly 5 stone since sixthform has started and my hair falls out and my concentration has wilted to nothing.
I have the cahms referal letter for anxiety/depression
No idea about the school. they wont argue with medical opinion, but they may ask you to just redo the year. They might not be able to arrange a set of exams just for you.

At the momentyou dont appear o be in any state to sit them and they cnat force you to. getting better fully is your priority

Quick Reply

Latest