The Student Room Group

Humanity has just taken a step backwards

Scroll to see replies

Original post by barnetlad
Åge Hareide (footballer)
Morten Harket (aha lead singer)
John Arne Reise (ex Liverpool footballer)

here is some Norwegian food for you:

Original post by Miracle Day
Congratulations to the Leave camp, that have focused entirely on the immigration and not the swathes of other benefits our membership has brought.

There is now a very real chance Farage's vision of this continent will come to life. On BBC News he spoke about countries divided, that work together without any kind of Union. There is now a very real chance that the Eurosceptic rhetoric will win and break up this Union, which has united a continent.

How will we tackle the biggest problems that face humanity if we are segregated? Global warming, nuclear disarment, poverty, antibiotic resistance. In the wider sense, this can only be done with a feeling and sense of cohesion and unity. The EU will, if it survives go on trying to tackle humanity's problems without the UK. Unfortunately, belligerent nationalism has triumphed.

Lol, I almost fell for this troll post.

None of the issues you mentioned would be materially easier to combat in the UK if we weres still in the EU.
Nice try though.
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
No not nationalism at all. Just a clear signal by the ordinary folk that they will not stand for crony capitalism any more. The EU is not tackling humanity's problems, it's a money making, all-controlling institution run by capitalists who we don't get to vote for. It's not democratic, it's not good for Britain and thankfully enough people have seen sense to get shut of it.

You believe that the majority of leave campaigners are politically minded socialits? :rollseyes:
Original post by Esoteric-
Lol, I almost fell for this troll post.

None of the issues you mentioned would be materially easier to combat in the UK if we weres still in the EU.
Nice try though.

The single market has expanded the health and pharmaceutical industries of the continent, social and economic standards have risen across the continent as a direct result of the Union, economic sanctions against Russia and Iran of which the UK was a significant choice, environmental targets of which the EU played a big part just this past year.

Nevertheless, it was more the idea of the trend of global unity, and not nation state v nation state which is what is needed to tackle these issues. This probably seems all trivial and notional to you at the moment. We will see.
Reply 44
Original post by elitepower
Totally agree with you. Massively panicked and totally ashamed of the country today. Everyone who voted Leave, this is on you.

I'm sorry I can't hear you over the sound of independence.
Original post by Wōden
I'm sorry I can't hear you over the sound of independence.

Yes independence from economic security, independence from political unity, independence from caring about what the younger generation thought, independence from logic - you must be so proud
There is a real possibility the entire EU could fragment. What do you think this is going to do for cooperation?

If I may. I think this leave vote is a symptom far more than it is anything else. The fragmentation of the EU would never happen if problems weren't already there to start with. I think the only thing that Europe in general can hope for now is the collapse of the EU (which almost everybody agrees has quite serious problems) and the building of something better from the ashes.

The leave vote as I see it was for many, one of two answers to a question: how do we fix the EU? a) Do we leave in an attempt to destroy it, b) or do we stay and try to reform it from the inside? We've picked option a) for the sake of the UK and Europe as a whole, let's bloody well hope it works.
Reply 47
social and economic standards have risen across the continent as a direct result of the Union.

Yeah, Margaret Thatcher was indeed forced by the EU to improve social standards when she was PM.
Original post by Josb
Yeah, Margaret Thatcher was indeed forced by the EU to improve social standards when she was PM.

Seriously? ...
it only won by over a million, this was not a landslide victory and as a result we should not take stupid action like leaving the EU on it.

The leave side got a majority so we're set to leave the EU. It won the referendum and that's how a referendum works. You can't just dismiss a referendum because you don't like the result.

If the remain side had won with a smaller margin, would you be saying the same? Both leave and remain options have big consequences.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
The leave side got a majority so we're set to leave the EU. It won the referendum and that's how a referendum works. You can't just dismiss a referendum because you don't like the result.

If the remain side had won with a smaller margin, would you be saying the same? Both leave and remain options have big consequences.

The Leave side said if Remain won by a small margin - they gave an example of 52% - they would want a second referendum. Now Leave won and Remain argue that, people dismiss it.

This is a massive change for decades at the very least. The results margin is not strong enough to commit to this. When you don't like how someone is, you do your best to change it. You have ruined the country and jepodes all our futures so yes, I'm fighting to change that.
The Leave side said if Remain won by a small margin - they gave an example of 52% - they would want a second referendum. Now Leave won and Remain argue that, people dismiss it.

This is a massive change for decades at the very least. The results margin is not strong enough to commit to this. When you don't like how someone is, you do your best to change it. You have ruined the country and jepodes all our futures so yes, I'm fighting to change that.

And if the leave did side you can guarantee that the public would not be at all sympathetic towards them. They would see them as the pathetic sore losers that they would be, just like lots of people including quite a few remain voters view this petition now.

The results margin is a majority and it absolutely is enough to commit to this. You can't go against democracy just because you disagree with the result. What you feel ("you have ruined the country") is irrelevant - the leave side won, get over it and move on. And if people really cared about the results margin, why didn't they sign this petition months ago back when it was originally set up, rather than in the days following the result?

Jesus Christ, I didn't think I would be arguing about this after the referendum. I thought people were reasonable enough to accept the result of a free and fair democratic referendum but maybe I was too optimistic.

Well arguably remain would have had less immediate consequences: voting "no change" is generally the vote of the cautious and undecided because it has less impact. We simply carry on as if the referendum never happened (see Scottish independence which changed pretty much nothing when we voted to stay).

Right now the pound's value is plummeting and there will be immediate knock on effects including a rise in prices of some goods. We are probably going to get a raw deal from the EU to deter France from jumping ship as well. We're also going to have an unelected PM (and god forbid it might be Boris Johnson), which is hardly a win for democracy. These are big immediate consequences. There are no big immediate consequences to remain, arguably only long-term ones.

If the remain side had won say 51% I would have breathed a sigh of relief and then taken a long hard look at why it was such a close call. We were not dealing with concerns around free movement adequately and the Left's rhetoric that immigration is great and we should just live with it is unhelpful and polarising.

BTW you don't have to follow a referendum. It is simply an opinion poll, to gauge public desire. Generally you should follow them but on a narrow margin I think you could argue to play it safe or for a second referendum.
Original post by Grand High Witch
Norway manages to cooperate adequately with the rest of Europe without being part of the EU.

Norway gets to access the EU single market because it has a deal with Europe the Leavers would never accept; it involves integrated labour markets, free mobility of labour. D. Hannan seems to be okay with this but I guarantee many Leavers won't be.
And if the leave did side you can guarantee that the public would not be at all sympathetic towards them. They would see them as the pathetic sore losers that they would be, just like lots of people including quite a few remain voters view this petition now.

The results margin is a majority and it absolutely is enough to commit to this. You can't go against democracy just because you disagree with the result. What you feel ("you have ruined the country") is irrelevant - the leave side won, get over it and move on. And if people really cared about the results margin, why didn't they sign this petition months ago back when it was originally set up, rather than in the days following the result?

Jesus Christ, I didn't think I would be arguing about this after the referendum. I thought people were reasonable enough to accept the result of a free and fair democratic referendum but maybe I was too optimistic.

This isn't like the General Election where we can change governments after 5 years maximum. We have been condemned down this path which half of the country opposes. You can damn well bet the Leave campaign if lost would be doing whatever it could to get its way. I will not get over the fact there has been a rise in casual racism as a result and the fact job losses will be happening. When you say move on, believe me I'm seriously considering leaving because I don't want to be part of a racism sinking ship.

How will we tackle the biggest problems that face humanity if we are segregated? Global warming, nuclear disarment, poverty, antibiotic resistance. In the wider sense, this can only be done with a feeling and sense of cohesion and unity. The EU will, if it survives go on trying to tackle humanity's problems without the UK. Unfortunately, belligerent nationalism has triumphed.

Why would we no longer cooperate with the rest Europe on these issues?
Original post by NickLCFC
Why would we no longer cooperate with the rest Europe on these issues?

Exactly !

Europe is great, we all love it don't we? A great mix of diverse cultures and people. The EU on the other hand is not great. It has destroyed countries, and business and people's livelihoods. People have had enough, and rightly so.

France, Sweden, Denmark, Italy and Hungary will likely all join the UK in leaving the EU now.

The gravy train of corruption by high salary EU MPs and the entire machinery is coming to an end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending