The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by seasons of wither
thank you all! knew i could count on a good response in this thread. the overriding feel from this seems to be votes for Burzum and Fen, so ill probs start there and see how i go... and probably Ne Obliviscaris as well, actually, because im a nerd who likes prog and latin. thanks again :smile:

edit: also wanted to put this in here too.

YES! :biggrin:
I'd suggest listening to their first full length, The Malediction Fields, first. Then their second full length, Epoch, second. I fell in love with Fen within about 30 seconds of the first song on The Malediction Fields.

The production and songwriting on Epoch is of a higher standard, but the atmosphere on TMF is unparalleled.

As for Burzum, Filosofem is the most accessible album. Belus and Fallen are the newest two and are probably the next most accessible ones (excluding ambient albums in prison). Fallen is actually really good, whereas Belus is a bit hit and miss.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5841
Finally decided to relisten to Epoch nearly nine months after originally hearing it.

Completely forgot how great it actually is.
Original post by Veldrin
With most things I think its best to start with the more accessible things before going into the more extreme guys.

One day I'll understand why most people seem to think this way. If it sounds good to you, it sounds good.

Original post by Drunk Punx
One thing you'll have to get used to is foreign vocals, as a lot of the better black metal bands that have come out in recent years (Winterfylleth and Fen aside) are from abroad

Because English lyrics in BM vocals are the easiest thing to understand. ;p

The whole Scandinavia ist krieg!122 thing should be ignored. Most of the big bands from that region have broken up or just suck balls now. It's all about France, the US, Italy and the UK (pretty much in that order). I guess a lot of the more well known UK/Ireland bands lean towards death metal (o hai akerdick) but still. Off the top of my head there's Akercocke, Fen, Skaldic Curse, Scythian, Winterfylltlyhththeht, Forefather, Altar of Plagues, Primordial, Code (I guess dudeman left the country but whatever), Anaal Nathrakh, Wodensthrone (need moar love), The Axis of Perdition, A Forest of Stars, Niroth, Void, Hectate Enthroned, etc.

Original post by Betacra
I'm not at all an authority on BM, but these are my favourites:

Deathspell Omega - Fas Ite Maledicti in Ignem Aeternum

Probably my favourite album from these guys.

Spite Extreme Wing - Vltra

My favourite BM album at the moment, you'll probably warm to this one really easy compared to Deathspell Omega.

Awesome albums are awesome. Though concerning DsO I'd recommend Si Monvmentvm because it's sogoddamngood.

The riff around 2:10 is just. ffffffuuuuu

Original post by seasons of wither
(not solely addressed to concubine) whats a good starting point for black metal? im looking to broaden my musical horizons, all ive been listening to lately is prog metal.

gifts 4 u

Original post by concubine

Because English lyrics in BM vocals are the easiest thing to understand. ;p

The whole Scandinavia ist krieg!122 thing should be ignored. Most of the big bands from that region have broken up or just suck balls now. It's all about France, the US, Italy and the UK (pretty much in that order). I guess a lot of the more well known UK/Ireland bands lean towards death metal (o hai akerdick) but still. Off the top of my head there's Akercocke, Fen, Skaldic Curse, Scythian, Winterfylltlyhththeht, Forefather, Altar of Plagues, Primordial, Code (I guess dudeman left the country but whatever), Anaal Nathrakh, Wodensthrone (need moar love), The Axis of Perdition, A Forest of Stars, Niroth, Void, Hectate Enthroned, etc.

ZOMG I haven't listened to Skaldic Curse in yonks. Have they released anything worthwhile recently?
Man Must Die are a pretty ****ing decent DM band, Esoteric speak for themselves, and there was a relatively short lived Dark Ambient band from the gr1mness of Scotland called In Vino Veritas, who produced some decent tunes.

I dunno, a lot of stuff out of Germany's pretty good :wink:
Sterbend, Nyktalgia, ColdWorld, Exitus Letalis, etc etc.
Original post by Manitude
YES! :biggrin:
I'd suggest listening to their first full length, The Malediction Fields, first. Then their second full length, Epoch, second. I fell in love with Fen within about 30 seconds of the first song on The Malediction Fields.

Have you listened to Ancient Sorrow (first EP they put out)? It's BEASTY! They added me on Myspace way back when (around the time of Ancient Sorrow, funnily enough) which was my first proper introduction to them, and countless plays of The Gales Scream Of Loss followed.
Have you listened to Ancient Sorrow (first EP they put out)? It's BEASTY! They added me on Myspace way back when (around the time of Ancient Sorrow, funnily enough) which was my first proper introduction to them, and countless plays of The Gales Scream Of Loss followed.

Yeah, it is brilliant. Though I struggle to justify buying it when it's about £10 for three songs. they are fantastic songs and The Gales Scream Of Loss is one of the best Fen songs (that snare drum does really help)

I've not heard much, if anything, from the split with Di Arma.

I've not heard much, if anything, from the split with Di Arma.

Yeah I've not heard anything from it, might have to Youtube it later to see if it's worth getting.
Yeah I've not heard anything from it, might have to Youtube it later to see if it's worth getting.

Likewise. Assuming the partial power cut I've found myself in doesn't get worse. The desktop has been cut, but internet is working and lights are only dimmed.
Apparently the street lights on the main road about a mile away are all off.
Likewise. Assuming the partial power cut I've found myself in doesn't get worse. The desktop has been cut, but internet is working and lights are only dimmed.
Apparently the street lights on the main road about a mile away are all off.

Dayum. Last time I had a power cut I was playing on Red Faction on the PS2, and it doesn't have an autosave... 4 hours of work gone in the blink of an eye. I was not happy :tongue:
Dayum. Last time I had a power cut I was playing on Red Faction on the PS2, and it doesn't have an autosave... 4 hours of work gone in the blink of an eye. I was not happy :tongue:

This getting weird now...all the lights have gone, but the router is still working.
My laptop battery does not last long so going to have to conserve power!
Hopefully normal service will be restored soon...
Sounds like an alien invasion.

I bet you got anal probe.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006T3MB86/ref=dm_sp_alb/276-8287266-9656466

Samples of the new Drudkh tracks. And they are awesome.
Sounds like an alien invasion.

I bet you got anal probe.

Sorry to disappoint, it was just a normal powercut. Everything was back to normal after an hour or so.
New Alcest has really surprised me so far. Only 5 tracks in but I've enjoyed all of them and some of it is great. This far into Ecailles de Lune I was just starting to skip over boring bits, and in the end I only really found part 2 of the title track to be really worth listening to.
Ecailles de Lune part 2 is awesome...especially the grim bit near the start.
http://www.autumnal-fog.de/bands/

Currently burning my way through Chapter II having already gone through Chapter I and the Prologue album.

Some very good tunes in there, I'd suggest it to anyone who likes black metal and blackened folk :yy:
The awkward moment when you realise that you are the girl standing next to the guy in red...
Whaaaaaaaaat. >_>

Is that dude about to cartwheel? Only girls cartwheel.
Whaaaaaaaaat. >_>

Is that dude about to cartwheel? Only girls cartwheel.

As I remember he was full of MDMA that night so my only answer is "**** knows!"
cds in the post today :smile:

Insect warfare - world extermination, Immolation - close to a world below, Iron Maiden - powerslave and Mantic Ritual - Executioner

Latest