The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rodney98
I failed all of my subjects, except for science I ended passing because I got a B grade in physics. I don't know how I passed because science is another subject that I dislike. I was an abysmal student back in high school.

Oh well at least you passed science
Hi TSR, back in high school a two years ago I received a grade D in GCSE English Language. The school gave me a second chance to get my 'grade C' and I ended up failing that as well. Then at my college I took it again and I felt even worse while doing the paper because I knew that I had already failed.

I have never been interested in school or pretty much anything The subject just puts me too sleep. I know about 'reading the question at least 3 times', 'highlight key words in the questions and points in the text that relate to the question' and 'plan out your answers before answering the question'. I have done past papers and gotten them graded by my teacher (who hardly gives back the work and has the handwriting of a doctor :I) and sadly I just don't understand the feedback she gives me. I've also had a tutor which was pointless because I just couldn't understand anything.

I wonder sometimes if I'm just really retarded because English is considered to be a pretty easy subject , but I find it fairly hard even harder than science (even though I passed that). I get mostly 1 mark on every question.

So TSR, do you have any advice on what I can do because I give up on repeatedly retaking English. I just don't understand the questions and asking people to explain to me how to answer them is strange because I don't understand them.

Videos on youtube and very very helpful and better than a textbook for english language! Mr bruff for AQA and Mr salles for OCR- if you do a different exam board just put this in the search engine.

Best of luck and don't give up!x:wink:
Just work harder. I don't know if you know this guy called Mr Bruff on Youtube but he is a legend when it comes to english GCSE. I watched his videos which were quite helpful actually when I did my exam. Nothing is impossible, I think you need to practice more and more to get to where you want to be. You need to work hard to a point where you wouldn't stop. Ask for feedback; this is so so so important. I remember bringing 3 essays on average every week for my teacher to mark and it helped me a lot! So in conclusion, it is not that you are 'stupid'. There is nothing that cannot be done, just work harder and try harder. You will get there at the end.
Good luck!
I didn't have AQA for an exam board but with GCSE English it tends to mark you systematically on content not skill in language. The exams are complete bs. That being said if you read the mark schemes and examiners reports it usually gives you a good sense of exactly what they want you to write so you can regurgitate that in any exam. Also if you need anyone to look at your work I'd be happy to as well. Good luck!
Mr Brugge YouTube videos
Reply 25
I wish I had your determination :/ . Your comment has motivated me to strive for an A* some how.

╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

That's more like it! Best way is to strive for the best no matter what othrs say. Keep working hard and focus on your path! Hope you succeed in life
There are some more good posts here op, hopefully this will encourage you but my teachers in high school said I'd never get a higher grade than a C, I went to lunchtime lessons, self studied a little bit and got a tutor to take me through some of the stuff I didn't get taught in class and came out with a B so ignore what your teachers say. Only you know the potential inside you. Due to my disability there was a time when 'experts' thought I wouldn't even be able to talk, let alone live a normal life like I do now
Hi Rodney98,

Don't give up! Even though the tutor you studied with didn't seem to work for you, tutors can be very good on homing in on specific problems. I would suggest spending half an hour reading some of the articles private tutors have written about passing GCSE English. Often their advice is very practical and succinct. You can start with the list of articles at the bottom of the following page, and focus on any articles which have been selected as 'editor's pick':

http://www.thetutorpages.com/gcse-english-tutors

You're bound to end up with some fresh ideas, new approaches and at least a few 'aha!' moments.

Good luck!
Reply 28
Howdy , sorry for the late reply.

I managed to do a past paper during my free time and honestly I felt like a piece of trash while doing the practice paper. At first I was motivated to doing it then as I started writing my brain just shut down.

I've come to the conclusion that I have given up on myself I believe that I won't be able to pass English Language. I've read books in which I enjoy, watch the news and ask questions in class, but the problem seems to be my 'way of thinking'. I'm going to receive my results tomorrow and already know what I have.

If I don't pass English I will commit seppuku (jk).

I'll pm you my abysmal draft.
Reply 29
Don't worry never give up. I ended up getting a C grade for my English GCSE exam after 4 re-sits.
This thread is from 2016! If you want to discuss this topic further please start a new thread.
Thread closed.

Latest