The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official CAMBRIDGE 2017 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by threeportdrift
It comes in via BoGS who do a sort of gross error check that the application isn't from a GCse student ie that the basics of the application are correct, before sending it to the department. That's why the departments get so grumpy with BoGS if BoGS ever query an offer in the 'application with BoGS' stage at the end, because BoGS should have checked already.

Applications usually go
> BoGS (gross error check)
> Department (tracking and allocating)
> (sub department/subject if there is one)
> potential Supervisor/relevant academic(assessment)
> (sub department/subject if there is one) (consideration within degree programme applicant cohort)
> Department/Degree Committee (consideration within departmental level applicant cohort)
> BoGS (final confirmatory check)

The risky assessment points are primarily the potential Supervisor/relevant academic, then the sub department/subject committee if there is one, and then the Degree Committee.

I'm sure there are soem departmental nuances within this, but without actually being inside the department, there's no real way of knowing.

Also, updates to your tracking are done by the department secretaries, and rate about 157th in their list of priorities. So skipping a step or whizzing through steps very quickly is just as likely to be a function of administrative capacity as any unusual routing of your application.[/Q
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
It comes in via BoGS who do a sort of gross error check that the application isn't from a GCse student ie that the basics of the application are correct, before sending it to the department. That's why the departments get so grumpy with BoGS if BoGS ever query an offer in the 'application with BoGS' stage at the end, because BoGS should have checked already.

Applications usually go
> BoGS (gross error check)
> Department (tracking and allocating)
> (sub department/subject if there is one)
> potential Supervisor/relevant academic(assessment)
> (sub department/subject if there is one) (consideration within degree programme applicant cohort)
> Department/Degree Committee (consideration within departmental level applicant cohort)
> BoGS (final confirmatory check)

The risky assessment points are primarily the potential Supervisor/relevant academic, then the sub department/subject committee if there is one, and then the Degree Committee.

I'm sure there are soem departmental nuances within this, but without actually being inside the department, there's no real way of knowing.

Also, updates to your tracking are done by the department secretaries, and rate about 157th in their list of priorities. So skipping a step or whizzing through steps very quickly is just as likely to be a function of administrative capacity as any unusual routing of your application.

I guess this depends on the department. For the Faculty of Law at which I spent a considerable time and spoke at length with the Admissions Team, I was informed that the applications there went through the steps I provided.

Pretty much, once you have provided all the necessary information and uploaded the documents, the file is marked complete and sent to the Faculty. The Faculty reviews it extensively and once they have chosen the decision to make, it is sent back to BOGS to confirm the decision. Since the Faculty of Law masters are not thesis based (the thesis is optional), there is no need for supervisors review or any subject based review.

However, if the application is for a PHD, then the Faculty looks at the subject area and approaches the professors with expertise to find a supervisor. Once a supervisor is identified, he/she goes through the proposal and decides if they will be interested in it. After they have found a supervisor, then they can forward it to the BOGS for confirmation.

After that, the funding parts of the application are dealt with. FACULTIES rank their students and then forward the lists together with GRADSAF forms and references to the award bodies one applied for, for consideration e.g, Gates Cambridge, college awards, Cambridge Trusts, Commonwealth Shared etc.

Because of the difference in departmental processes, the speed of hearing back differs. Some faculties make decisions on a rolling basis while others will inform you that regardless of when you applied, you will only hear back at a specific time, such as mid March or end of Feb.
Original post by zpin
Hey you :smile:
Selwyn, how bout u

Oh that's lovely! I've been allocated Jesus :smile: I'm thankful, as that was my first choice. Hopefully you'll hear back about Selwyn soon :smile:
Original post by zpin
Nicee college, Holly! :smile:

I've just got Selwyn, haha maybe they're rushing a bit to make as many of us extra happy this Christmas!

Oh, I see! That's so lucky, as you're right on the Sidgwick Site! Now you can relax for Christmas :smile:
Reply 584
Just got to know that personal statements had to be 1 page long. Mine was 2 and a half pages. I've already submitted my application. Should I be worried?
Original post by ND_OGO
Just got to know that personal statements had to be 1 page long. Mine was 2 and a half pages. I've already submitted my application. Should I be worried?

I am no expert here but how this will be handled is entirely dependent on the department. Some departments may not consider your statement at all, I believe I have seen this actually written under a course's requirements page. If you are lucky then probably the portion of your statement that falls within their word limit will be considered - depending on how engaging this is the very human person on the other side might read the rest, however with about 1. 5 pages overboard this might be a stretch.

If your status on camsis is still 'Awaiting Consideration by Dept' I would advise handling your personal statement issue as an error and submitting an adjusted one under the correspondence option when uploading your supporting documents.

I would have advised contacting Graduate Admissions or your Dept. first but seeing as they close tomorrow I really do not know if they will reply to you before the new year.

Perhaps @threeportdrift can shed some more light on this?

Best of luck!
Original post by ND_OGO

Original post by Cationn94
I am no expert here but how this will be handled is entirely dependent on the department. Some departments may not consider your statement at all, I believe I have seen this actually written under a course's requirements page. If you are lucky then probably the portion of your statement that falls within their word limit will be considered - depending on how engaging this is the very human person on the other side might read the rest, however with about 1. 5 pages overboard this might be a stretch.

I suspect Cationn94 is correct and this is a departmental issue and much will depend on the individual that reads the application. The might just thing 'FFS another applicant that can't read instructions' and read it nevertheless, or they might just read the first page. I'd be inclined to email the Department directly, indicating your error and submitting a single page summary as requested. They still might read the longer version, but if they don't, you have a proper beginning, middle and end in the short version.

What I can say is that, as a matter of governance and good practice, there is a general trend to become more strict on fulfilling application processes correctly, so that there can be a)no impression of unfairness to advantage to some candidates and b) the limited time available to a very delicate selection process can focus better on making the right decisions, between extremely strong applicant pools, rather than wading through process adjustments, special cases, extra attachments here but not there etc.

Referees/references are often a tricky point here, because applicants, it is understood, often have little or no control over the speed of their Referees, so while a) above applies in principle, on the matter of the timing of references, leeway is generally given.
Reply 587
If the requirement says one page would suffice, does it also mean the length cannot be more than one page?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by JesWW
If the requirement says one page would suffice, does it also mean the length cannot be more than one page?

Thanks in advance.

It's an indication that your assessors would appreciate a single side of information and believe you should be able to get across sufficient information in that space to make a competitive application. Take it as editorial guidance that will help get your paper published!
@threeportdrift :
Here's a question for continuing students (or PhD applicants coming from master's programmes elsewhere): there's usually a spot to upload the master's transcript, although that document doesn't always say very much except that you completed the course. Is it considered bad form to also upload the memo from the department with all of your marks, and/or your feedback on the dissertation? (History, if that matters.)
Original post by Camilli
@threeportdrift :
Here's a question for continuing students (or PhD applicants coming from master's programmes elsewhere): there's usually a spot to upload the master's transcript, although that document doesn't always say very much except that you completed the course. Is it considered bad form to also upload the memo from the department with all of your marks, and/or your feedback on the dissertation? (History, if that matters.)

Can't remember what I did as a Cam continuing student- ask your department admin staff, they should know. If you are from other than Cam, they'll want some form of demonstrably formal document that you couldn;t have produced personally.
Original post by LegalDiaries
I dont think Cambridge would be hurried because you got an offer from LSE. I was in the same scenario a while back during my masters. I dont remember LSE demanding that I make up my mind within a specific period. If I recall well, LSE said I had to accept but that even if the deadline passed, I would still have my place so I kept LSE waiting for 2 months until Cambridge got back to me and then I withdrew from LSE.

Gotcha, thank you!
Reply 592
Hey,

all those of you who are already lucky offer holders - have you already begun applying for scholarships, awards etc which require a separate application?

I didn't apply for Gates as I thought I wouldn't even stand a chance of getting accepted into Cambridge, but well, here I am and angry at myself :wink: anyways, now I started browsing the colleges for funding options (as the funding search doesn't include everything) and some of them do consider applicants who haven't named them as 1st or 2nd choice while "giving preference" to those who did. Most of them want the referees send the references *again*, but I can hardly ask my lecturers to send/upload them another 10 times ... How do you this? Do you even apply for those funding opportunities, given the very small chance to receive funding from a college you haven't named as one of your preferences? And how do you narrow down which to apply for and which not (except by eligibility, of course)?.

And it's a bit frustrating tbh, there are just no specific scholarships for Education students - not even one! I mean there's a lot of us and our subject is important, too! Now, can someone please fund us? :biggrin:
wow, you must have rich parents.
Original post by jiksi
Hey,

all those of you who are already lucky offer holders - have you already begun applying for scholarships, awards etc which require a separate application?

I didn't apply for Gates as I thought I wouldn't even stand a chance of getting accepted into Cambridge, but well, here I am and angry at myself :wink: anyways, now I started browsing the colleges for funding options (as the funding search doesn't include everything) and some of them do consider applicants who haven't named them as 1st or 2nd choice while "giving preference" to those who did. Most of them want the referees send the references *again*, but I can hardly ask my lecturers to send/upload them another 10 times ... How do you this? Do you even apply for those funding opportunities, given the very small chance to receive funding from a college you haven't named as one of your preferences? And how do you narrow down which to apply for and which not (except by eligibility, of course)?.

And it's a bit frustrating tbh, there are just no specific scholarships for Education students - not even one! I mean there's a lot of us and our subject is important, too! Now, can someone please fund us? :biggrin:

I will be sending mine off end of January, I think :smile: For the ones that are attached to my college I have asked another person to give me a reference, as I didn't really want to ask the same people as before because I felt like I might be pestering! But two of the ones I am applying for require me to send off the full application with reference included, so I assume that means my tutor will have to write the reference and send it to me so that I can attach it to the rest of my scholarship application. One of them explicitly states that I need to nominate him and he will be contacted directly.

Double-check the application forms, and if you require a separate reference then at least you know it might just be the one reference that they need to send you, and then you can attach it to however many scholarships you like without asking them to do it themselves.

As for narrowing down, I don't plan to. I am going to apply to all that I am eligible for (which is not many at all), and hope!
Reply 595
Original post by Cationn94

If your status on camsis is still 'Awaiting Consideration by Dept' I would advise handling your personal statement issue as an error and submitting an adjusted one under the correspondence option when uploading your supporting documents.

I would have advised contacting Graduate Admissions or your Dept. first but seeing as they close tomorrow I really do not know if they will reply to you before the new year.

Perhaps @threeportdrift can shed some more light on this?

Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for your response. I've sent the development studies department an email to this effect already. I'll take your advice and upload an amended version. Just to be precise, the department actually says that a page long statement would be sufficient. To me, this doesn't really specify a limit.
Reply 596
I suspect Cationn94 is correct and this is a departmental issue and much will depend on the individual that reads the application. The might just thing 'FFS another applicant that can't read instructions' and read it nevertheless, or they might just read the first page. I'd be inclined to email the Department directly, indicating your error and submitting a single page summary as requested. They still might read the longer version, but if they don't, you have a proper beginning, middle and end in the short version.

What I can say is that, as a matter of governance and good practice, there is a general trend to become more strict on fulfilling application processes correctly, so that there can be a)no impression of unfairness to advantage to some candidates and b) the limited time available to a very delicate selection process can focus better on making the right decisions, between extremely strong applicant pools, rather than wading through process adjustments, special cases, extra attachments here but not there etc.

Referees/references are often a tricky point here, because applicants, it is understood, often have little or no control over the speed of their Referees, so while a) above applies in principle, on the matter of the timing of references, leeway is generally given.

Thanks for your response. It is highly appreciated. I'll email the department
Reply 597
Original post by holly_1994
I will be sending mine off end of January, I think :smile: For the ones that are attached to my college I have asked another person to give me a reference, as I didn't really want to ask the same people as before because I felt like I might be pestering! But two of the ones I am applying for require me to send off the full application with reference included, so I assume that means my tutor will have to write the reference and send it to me so that I can attach it to the rest of my scholarship application. One of them explicitly states that I need to nominate him and he will be contacted directly.

Double-check the application forms, and if you require a separate reference then at least you know it might just be the one reference that they need to send you, and then you can attach it to however many scholarships you like without asking them to do it themselves.

As for narrowing down, I don't plan to. I am going to apply to all that I am eligible for (which is not many at all), and hope!

Okay, I don't think I'm eligible for any scholarships wanting me to send the references (except on headed paper and in sealed envelopes, or filled in a specific form, which ultimately means that, again, I will need to ask my referees to provide me with those). I think I've only seen application forms stating that references need to be sent/uploaded directly by the referee ... but maybe I did misunderstand some!
And I totally see what you mean when you say you felt you might be pestering - I have asked my referees to upload their references twice already, if I apply for the ~5-10 scholarships and awards I'm eligible for they will end up putting the same amount of time in my Cambridge application as I did :wink: (ok, just kidding, but still, a lot of time). That's why I thought of narrowing down, especially because we get so few contact hours at my current university that not many lecturers/tutors know me well enough to provide me with a reference, let alone one that is good enough for a Cambridge award - that's why I feel I'd need to ask the same two referees again. But I mean you're right, it's definitely best to apply for all if possible ... I will just bring my referees a box of chocolates as a thank you for their efforts if it's really necessary that they upload the references on their own for every scholarship/award :colondollar:

Oh and @Dionysus1900 I was notified on my self-service two days before I received the email. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ND_OGO
Thanks a lot for your response. I've sent the development studies department an email to this effect already. I'll take your advice and upload an amended version. Just to be precise, the department actually says that a page long statement would be sufficient. To me, this doesn't really specify a limit.

Yh instructions like that can be tricky. However, they serve as a guideline and when followed it could make for a highly impressive application. Cambridge usually expects applicants of a high calibre with impressive track records. So being able to convey your achievements, interests, and ambitions in a concise manner can be hard and therefore quite impressive when accomplished. You should be fine as long as you maintain communication with your department.

All the best.
Can't remember what I did as a Cam continuing student- ask your department admin staff, they should know. If you are from other than Cam, they'll want some form of demonstrably formal document that you couldn;t have produced personally.

Well, there's a letter from the program administrator, on letter-head, that lists all of my marks. They drag my total average down two points from the dissertation, but I suppose it's worth demonstrating that I wasn't a total one-hit wonder.

The other thing is the dissertation feedback from examiners (separate from their score). There were a few nice compliments that, if my referees don't think to quote when they run out of things to say, will be a shame to let go to waste. That's only a one- or two-page item, but you never know what will offend someone.

There's actually a similar situation from my previous master's-- at a business school that basically went without grades until my second year. Before that time, if you really nailed a course, the professor would put a letter in your file. I've misplaced a few of them and the university couldn't come up with the full packet when I asked, but it's nice to have some proof that I worked hard there, too. [I slipped those into my transcripts for Cambridge, and it obviously didn't keep me out. But PhD is the big time.]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending