The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official CAMBRIDGE 2017 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anthropobee
Hello everyone!
I got my offer for Social Anthropology PhD a couple weeks ago, and just today my college membership application to King's (1st choice) has got declined. I really don't mind that much which college I end up in, I chose King's and Trinity Hall but as I'm fine with anything. What concerns me is the thought that my application may have been rejected because my profile may not very strong compared to other offer holders, and that this rejection may mean that I don't stand a good chance for funding competition... Do you guys know if the admission into a college is based on similar criteria to that of funding (academic competence, research potential, etc.), or do they just want a nice mix of different research areas or something like that? I'm getting stuck in overthinking mode :frown:

Yes I would be interested in knowing about this too - my first choice is also King's but I'm still at BoGS so no news about college membership as yet. I've been wondering the same thing - whether funding and college membership follow the same criteria.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 1581
@tagrad ? Any news?
Offer for the MPhil in Philosophy! #nowwewait #funding
Original post by camgrad
I have been offered a PhD in Biological Sciences, with funding from a research council.

Original post by anthropobee
Social Anthropology PhD

Original post by triggerd
Yes I would be interested in knowing about this too .

College membership is based around creating a diverse cohort by degree, Arts/Hums/Sci, specific subject, gender, age, nationality etc. So you are rejected on the basis that, for example, you would be the 5th PhD in Political Science application they had and they've already accepted two which is about the number/ratio they have the capacity for without looking Humanities heavy in the MCR.
Reply 1584
Original post by Cr330
@tagrad ? Any news?

nothing! yourself?
Reply 1585
Original post by Spuyi
I've been in the "seeking college membership" stage for a week now, and have no idea of how long it'll take before finding out which college accepted me :smile:

So yeah, if anybody has a clue of how long it usually takes at this stage it'd be very much appreciated.

Hi! So I found out today that I got St.Edmunds! Now waiting for funding applications, good luck to you!!
Has anyone applied for mphil in economic research? I submitted my application 6 weeks ago but haven't heard back yet :/
3 weeks at BoGS and I'm beginning to think that someone hates me. :frown:
Original post by EconCrusader
Has anyone applied for mphil in economic research? I submitted my application 6 weeks ago but haven't heard back yet :/

I'm applying for MPhil Finance and Economics. Submitted my application in mid-Dec. Now it's been in the "Degree Committee" for ages.... Not heard about any news since then. But the Degree committee had a meeting on Monday. So decisions will soon be made. I've already heard some rejections of economic research, but nothing from finance and economics, maybe the department is viewing research first :tongue:

Anyway, I guess it won't be long, and hope you can hear the good news soon!
Original post by facelark123

Ha! 3 weeks at BoGS is, to borrow from Churchill: "not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Ha! 3 weeks at BoGS is, to borrow from Churchill: "not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

Well, you made me smile anyway. :tongue:
Original post by culpopato
I'm applying for MPhil Finance and Economics. Submitted my application in mid-Dec. Now it's been in the "Degree Committee" for ages.... Not heard about any news since then. But the Degree committee had a meeting on Monday. So decisions will soon be made. I've already heard some rejections of economic research, but nothing from finance and economics, maybe the department is viewing research first :tongue:

My offer for MPhil Finance and Economics took four months. Applied early September, moved to bogs mid jan. Hang in there, it's generally slow with Econ dept. Best of luck.
Original post by culpopato

Hope they send out offers soon. From LSE i got an email after 1,5 weeks xD
Wish you good luck!
But are here no mphil economic research applicants?
To all Economics Department applicants who are still waiting to hear a decision on their application: This is what they sent me on Thursday.

"The Admissions Officers are still considering the applications - I would hope to be able to give you a decision within the next two weeks."

I've been at the degree committee stage for almost two months now so became restless and sent them an email. Hope that helps.
Original post by facelark123

Omg I've been at BoGS for 2 full days now and it already feels like forever, I really hope I move on by the end of next week or I go crazy :biggrin:
Original post by triggerd
Omg I've been at BoGS for 2 full days now and it already feels like forever, I really hope I move on by the end of next week or I go crazy :biggrin:

It's been a full week for me. I'm probably going to call Monday morning
Original post by Dionysus1900
I applied in mid-December. Is it fair to assume that since my application has remained stuck at degree committee all this time, and others have received offers for my prospective course, that the chances of actually receiving an offer now is rather slim?

Edit: Not looking for kind words, I'd just rather accept the reality now than later.

Okay but like you applied a week or so after me and I got moved to BOGs a week ago. Do not despair yet. Also, if they hated you, they'd have rejected you already. If they were super unsure, they'd have wait listed you. None of that happened so you're doing well 😝
Original post by egotonker
Okay but like you applied a week or so after me and I got moved to BOGs a week ago. Do not despair yet. Also, if they hated you, they'd have rejected you already. If they were super unsure, they'd have wait listed you. None of that happened so you're doing well 😝

I applied in mid December for F & E, still waiting for any news!! What's your course?
PhD offer holders from all disciplines: can I just ask how many of you have a 1st or 2:1 in your undergraduate degrees? I'm starting to stress about needing a 1st to secure a) a place and b) academic funding. I won't be applying until this September-ish for 2018 entrance, but does anyone know if the whole "you really need a 1st" thing is as crucial as I think it is? Thanks :smile:
I'm hoping that is not an issue, although my own BA was some years ago. Two good master's degrees ought to scrub some of the blemishes away.

I'm guessing that a good performance on your own MPhil will be helpful, either way. There is a score of "leave to continue" at Cambridge which, while not guaranteeing a space on the next rung of the ladder, at least means that your transcript(s) won't prevent you from being considered should you wish to pile it higher and deeper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending