The Student Room Group

Are my alevel choices good?

In september i will be studying, english literature and language, sociology and law at a very respected and well known sixth form college. In the future I aspire to either be a teacher or a lawyer and wondered if these choices were the best to choose considering my career?
It depends more on what you plan to study at university (and where) than what you final career aspirations are. However, if you want to study law at a top university then they might not be ideal choices. Firstly, law A level is not only unnecessary to study law, but is also often seen as a 'soft' option. As such, coupling it with sociology (another supposedly 'soft' and less well-respected subject) might not be in your best interest - top law courses tend to be quite competitive. You might do better with more 'traditional' essay-based or science subjects - English literature is certainly well-regarded for law.

That said, I'm not sure to what extent these choices would affect your application provided you could do well in them.
Original post by tinyshadow0
In september i will be studying, english literature and language, sociology and law at a very respected and well known sixth form college. In the future I aspire to either be a teacher or a lawyer and wondered if these choices were the best to choose considering my career?

I highly recommend Sociology :biggrin: I've studied it for 2 years (just finished A2) and will hopefully be studying it as a joint honours degree in September.

Original post by SosbanFach
It depends more on what you plan to study at university (and where) than what you final career aspirations are. However, if you want to study law at a top university then they might not be ideal choices. Firstly, law A level is not only unnecessary to study law, but is also often seen as a 'soft' option. As such, coupling it with sociology (another supposedly 'soft' and less well-respected subject) might not be in your best interest - top law courses tend to be quite competitive. You might do better with more 'traditional' essay-based or science subjects - English literature is certainly well-regarded for law.

That said, I'm not sure to what extent these choices would affect your application provided you could do well in them.

Have you ever even studied Sociology? It IS hard and it's clearly an essay subject - just look at the questions.
Original post by emiloujess
Have you ever even studied Sociology? It IS hard and it's clearly an essay subject - just look at the questions.

Although it is most likely very difficult (as all subjects are), I think Sociology may be seen as a 'soft' subject for Law at top unis.
Original post by tinyshadow0

OP, maybe try History, a language or Maths as a few ideas? Of course, there are far more other subjects that are favourable, but these are some of the fairly common ones that unis tend to prefer. It is worthwhile taking a look at the list of 'facilitating' subjects, and although you don't have to stick to it, there is a general feeling that you should take at least 2 facilitating subjects. This will be especially useful for you as you aren't 100% sure which career path you want to go into and so these leave more fields open :smile:

Facilitating subjects:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest