The Student Room Group

Dropping alevel after received an offer

I got my offers for UCL, KCL, Manchester and Southampton. Which didn’t specify what alevels I need to take and they are all conditional on 3 alevels. However I wish to drop my computer science a level, would this affect my offers?
Reply 1
If this is in the wrong forum then could you move it to the right one please?
Original post by wxt_
I got my offers for UCL, KCL, Manchester and Southampton. Which didn’t specify what alevels I need to take and they are all conditional on 3 alevels. However I wish to drop my computer science a level, would this affect my offers?
Hypothetically it could, but in reality most unis won’t mind.

The important thing is to contact your choices and check.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
Hypothetically it could, but in reality most unis won’t mind.

The important thing is to contact your choices and check.

They wouldn’t withdraw the offer just because I contacted them about it right?
Original post by wxt_
They wouldn’t withdraw the offer just because I contacted them about it right?

Not just for asking about something you might do, no.

If the material info on your application does change, they could in theory withdraw the offer. But as above, if it’s not a condition of the offer then in almost all cases it’s fine.

That’s why it’s important to say “I’m thinking of dropping this subject, could you confirm whether it would affect my offer?” Then you have something in writing.

It also means your choices aren’t waiting for a “missing result” when your grades come through.
Original post by wxt_
As already said you just cannot drop a subject. You made a commitment to take 4 subjects and the university has made offers based on this. If you drop a subject you are effectively breaking the contract you have made so a university is entitled to change or remove any offer made.

In practice it is highly unlikely a university will change any offer made but they have the right to do so.

Before dropping any A level get the universities approval and this avoids any problems. They are unlikely to care but it is better to be sure to avoid problems further down the line.

The other option is not to work on Computer Science. If you get a U it wouldnt matter. All you have to do to cover yourself is to turn up and sit the exam and you could meet your offer with the other grades.
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
As already said you just cannot drop a subject. You made a commitment to take 4 subjects and the university has made offers based on this. If you drop a subject you are effectively breaking the contract you have made so a university is entitled to change or remove any offer made.

In practice it is highly unlikely a university will change any offer made but they have the right to do so.

Before dropping any A level get the universities approval and this avoids any problems. They are unlikely to care but it is better to be sure to avoid problems further down the line.

The other option is not to work on Computer Science. If you get a U it wouldnt matter. All you have to do to cover yourself is to turn up and sit the exam and you could meet your offer with the other grades.

Thanks! I asked my teacher today and apparently my a level grades will be in my record and I need to tell the companies what u got in the future. Would having an D/E in the course be worse than simply not doing an alevel?
Not for universities and probably not for employers who will look at your degree grade and other things like experiences during university.

Schools and teachers often put their own interest above students. It looks good for a school to claim their students had an average of x ucas points.

Email the universities and ask if they mind you dropping CS. They will almost certainly say no but you must cover yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending