The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Enquiries!!

I'm starting to put together my UCAS application at the moment. I'm looking to study either Fine Art or a combined honours of Art/Fine Art/Design and Film/TV. There are a few places which offer this (Reading, Oxford Brookes, Canterbury Christchurch, Lancaster...), and from what I understand when applying for a combined degree you write about why you are passionate about both things and why you would be a good candidate. However, I still want to apply for just art on its own (at NTU, Edinburgh, Slade...etc..not to sure) as I feel I can incorporate film into that anyway... SO, my question is, do I need to write two separate personal statements? One for the combined courses, and one for the single ones? Wouldn't writing loads about why I love film in an application to an art course be redundant? If anyone can help, please do!
Reply 1
You can only submit one personal statement which goes to all 5 (or less) Universities that you apply to.
Reply 2
Original post by GUMI
You can only submit one personal statement which goes to all 5 (or less) Universities that you apply to.

Ok, that's what I thought. So how could I cater my PS to both a combined degree and regular degree?
I'm sure universities are used to getting personal statements from people who have also applied to a slightly different course. You should just focus on art and also subtly mention a couple of examples why you like and would be good at whatever the other subject is. :smile:
Reply 4
Same statement goes to all. Just focus more on art but mention the other too. They are both a bit similar so you can also talk about both in general. How you enjoy being able to express yourself or some crap like that. They are used to reading statements catered for multiple courses and the whole statement isn't just about the specific courses. You also should talk about hobbies or stuff you do, like work or volunteering.
Reply 5
Original post by Devify
Same statement goes to all. Just focus more on art but mention the other too. They are both a bit similar so you can also talk about both in general. How you enjoy being able to express yourself or some crap like that. They are used to reading statements catered for multiple courses and the whole statement isn't just about the specific courses. You also should talk about hobbies or stuff you do, like work or volunteering.

Sounds good, thanks! I just didn't want them to think I was confused and applying for the wrong course or something haha
See if the art unis will accept a separate statement. If not then pick a one or the other (single or combined and just one combination of subjects). You don't want to come across as confused or unsure.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by alleycat393
Film and TV is very different from art/design so see if the film unis will accept a separate statement. If not then pick a one or the other. You don't want to come across as confused or unsure.

OP is planning to apply for either art or a combined honours course for Art and Film (or similar) meaning that if they talk about art it will apply to both so there will be no confusion. There is no need to write a whole separate one for Film/TV one as it can still be added to the statement. Even if just applying to the art, Film/TV is still a creative subject and can be paired with art.
Original post by Devify
OP is planning to apply for either art or a combined honours course for Art and Film (or similar) meaning that if they talk about art it will apply to both so there will be no confusion. There is no need to write a whole separate one for Film/TV one as it can still be added to the statement. Even if just applying to the art, Film/TV is still a creative subject and can be paired with art.

The OP has talked about applying for art by itself and a number of different combinations of subjects (art/fine art/design/film/TV). And no you can't lump subjects together just because they're creative just as you can't lump them together because they're healthcare related or humanities subjects. Admissions officers want to see interest in their specific subject or course and not just a general statement about being creative. You need to show that you've done your research about the course which will not come across if you talk about things not covered by it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by alleycat393
The OP has talked about applying for art by itself and a number of different combinations of subjects (art/fine art/design/film/TV). And no you can't lump subjects together just because they're creative just as you can't lump them together because they're healthcare related or humanities subjects. Admissions officers want to see interest in their specific subject or course and not just a general statement about being creative. You need to show that you've done your research about the course which will not come across if you talk about things not covered by it.

I meant if they talked about TV and media in their art application it would still be fine as long as they talk about art too because while it wouldn't apply it shows creativity and broader interest. Not that they should just lump them together and talk about it in general like you have assumed.

And that's bs on how you need to only talk about stuff covered by the subject. Sure they want to know why you want to do that specific subject. But even applying to the same course at different universities that wouldn't work because they have different modules so same course covers different things. You need to talk why you want to do the course in general and how passionate you are about it. Where you want to end up in the future and how the course would help you. Also talking about other activities you do that shows you're active and take care of your own personal growth.

If you just talk about the course they offer, your application will be ****.
Original post by Devify
I meant if they talked about TV and media in their art application it would still be fine as long as they talk about art too because while it wouldn't apply it shows creativity and broader interest. Not that they should just lump them together and talk about it in general like you have assumed.

And that's bs on how you need to only talk about stuff covered by the subject. Sure they want to know why you want to do that specific subject. But even applying to the same course at different universities that wouldn't work because they have different modules so same course covers different things. You need to talk why you want to do the course in general and how passionate you are about it. Where you want to end up in the future and how the course would help you. Also talking about other activities you do that shows you're active and take care of your own personal growth.

If you just talk about the course they offer, your application will be ****.

Ok a lot of misconceptions here. Talking about creative subjects that may or may not fall under the umbrella of art is lumping together and being general. Creativity and broader interest is general unless it's brought back to the specific subject so I'm not sure what you're trying to say or think I've assumed!

And yes as an admissions tutor I want to see specific interest in my course/subject. I know that students apply to similar courses but if there's someone obviously interested in a combination of things that I know my uni doesn't offer I would think they haven't done their homework about us or are undecided. And no admissions officers don't want to know about personal growth or the future in a general manner (American admissions officers want this, not UK ones). We want to know about skills you can bring and want to develop that are relevant. We're also well aware of the fact that people's interests change and develop over time which will change their career plans or students may not have career plans yet.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending