The Student Room Group

Operating department practitioner Uni choices and personal statement.

Hi, I have 4 days to submit my ucas, I’m stressed and I’m really struggling with doing the personal statement as I’m switching from midwifery to Operating department practitioner. Any advice?
Also, the universities Im struggling to choose between for odp are Swansea, Bournemouth, Sheffield Hallam, Northumbria, uni of west London, uni of Grenwhich, London south bank.
Original post by inexplicable-mar
Hi, I have 4 days to submit my ucas, I’m stressed and I’m really struggling with doing the personal statement as I’m switching from midwifery to Operating department practitioner. Any advice?
Also, the universities Im struggling to choose between for odp are Swansea, Bournemouth, Sheffield Hallam, Northumbria, uni of west London, uni of Grenwhich, London south bank.

Hi
Hopefully, you will get some advice on writing a personal statement from others who are going through the process for the course you have mentioned.

In the meantime, we do have a page on our website that gives hints and tips on writing a statement, with a quick video at the bottom. You can view it here.

Hope this helps a little 🙂

Good luck with your applications

Del
Future Student Experience Team
Original post by inexplicable-mar

Hey!

I can see that our Enquiries Team have already responded, but I hope to be able to provide a student perspective 🙂

Firstly, I am delighted that you are thinking of joining our vibrant and welcoming student community at Swansea. We have such a friendly atmosphere amongst staff and students alike which makes an amazing study environment. This is definitely helped by our beautiful beach surroundings.

We have some original forum posts written by Student Ambassadors containing our tips on writing personal statements, if you would like to check them out.

As well as the general tips above, in terms of changing your personal statement from Midwifery to ODP, I would say look at the specifics of the ODP course on the Swansea website. Ask yourself:

What do you like about the course?

Why do you want to do ODP rather than another allied health profession? You must have had an experience that made you want to change from Midwifery to ODP; reflect on it.

What relevant experience have you got that would make you a good ODP?

Reflect on any experience you have had. How has it developed you as a person? What did it teach you about yourself? How will it make you a better ODP in future?

Think about the qualities that make a good ODP. Do you have those? Give some examples.

Finally, I would say make sure that everything you talk about in the personal statement is factual.

I hope those tips help! Good Luck with the application process.

Hope Henry - Third Year Graduate Entry Medicine Student and Swansea Student Ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest