The Student Room Group

Dentistry but with medical work experience?

Hi, I'm currently conflicted between medicine and dentistry (I just finished my GCSEs so I have a bit of time), and so far I've done 1 week of work experience at A&E, which is obviously medical, and I have a few days at a GP coming up as well as being in the process of applying for an unlikely placement for next year too.

I'm going to look into getting dentistry work experience for next summer to see if it is for me and stuff, but if I don't manage to get loads, would it look bad on my Personal Statement if I have more work experience for medicine than dentistry?

I'm worried because of how competitive dentistry is in the UK and how work experience is so important and also that I might be leaving it too late :redface:
bump? :colondollar:
.j
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by surina16
Hi, I'm currently conflicted between medicine and dentistry (I just finished my GCSEs so I have a bit of time), and so far I've done 1 week of work experience at A&E, which is obviously medical, and I have a few days at a GP coming up as well as being in the process of applying for an unlikely placement for next year too.

I'm going to look into getting dentistry work experience for next summer to see if it is for me and stuff, but if I don't manage to get loads, would it look bad on my Personal Statement if I have more work experience for medicine than dentistry?

I'm worried because of how competitive dentistry is in the UK and how work experience is so important and also that I might be leaving it too late :redface:

Hi surina16

Obviously the ideal thing is to secure some dentistry work experience and as you still have plenty of time I am sure that, with some persistence, you will be able to do this.

I just wanted to add that you shouldn't discard the medical work experience that you have had or will be having as you can always gain transferable skills from an experience as long as you go into it with that in mind.

After each experience, make sure that you take the time to reflect on what you have learned that is transferable to your future studies/career. Note these things down, you will find this useful when you come to writing your personal statement or preparing for your interview.

Universities are looking for people who are able to reflect in a mature way on their experiences, so as long as you are able to do this, every experience is valuable.

I hope this helps... do give me a shout if you have any questions.

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest