The Student Room Group

Dentistry

I’m in year 11 what things should i start doing now that could help me when applying in two years? Thank you in advance for any advice
Original post by djdance133
I’m in year 11 what things should i start doing now that could help me when applying in two years? Thank you in advance for any advice

The main thing is that you shouldn't really start anything specific to dentistry right now as you are in year 11. The most important thing you can do, and I mean almost crucial, is be strong with Chemistry and Biology.
You should put most effort into these subjects, to make them your strongest if you can. These two subjects are the game changers for dentistry, and if you are weak at them, you are in a tough situation.

You want to go into A levels doing Chemistry, Biology and a subject like Further Maths or Physics. This will give you so much more chances of getting into dentistry and being able to have a good start. In Year 11, you will still be studying other topics, but Chemistry and Biology need to be of priority. A really helpful resource is using an app called Anki, which is a digital flashcard app. For sciences, this is such a good way of revising as not only do you cover material by making the flashcards, but then you have so many flashcards to use for revision for the big GCSEs. This app is renowned throughout the medical industry as so many people find it useful. Try it if you can, because this will benefit you a lot in A levels as well!

Dentistry is a competitive place, so make sure you are ready mentally. Not as in dentistry is bad, but make sure that you are not falling back on studies or suffering from mental health issues as Y11-12 is a terrible time to fall back, even though it's so common. Stop thinking about the future and think about now and think about how you can get ahead of things right now. Be happy and enjoy the adventure; don't let anything drag you down! If there is something you are struggling with, talk about it to anyone you trust. I'm talking a lot about mental health because I know so many people who were going for dentistry but due to mental issues they fell back and struggled. I had to find out what their problem was and when that had been solved, they started shining again.

So overall, focus a lot on Chemistry and Biology, and don't think about the future so much and be happy!
Reply 2
Hi which dental schools do not look at PS please?
Reply 3
Original post by StingRay123
The main thing is that you shouldn't really start anything specific to dentistry right now as you are in year 11. The most important thing you can do, and I mean almost crucial, is be strong with Chemistry and Biology.
You should put most effort into these subjects, to make them your strongest if you can. These two subjects are the game changers for dentistry, and if you are weak at them, you are in a tough situation.

You want to go into A levels doing Chemistry, Biology and a subject like Further Maths or Physics. This will give you so much more chances of getting into dentistry and being able to have a good start. In Year 11, you will still be studying other topics, but Chemistry and Biology need to be of priority. A really helpful resource is using an app called Anki, which is a digital flashcard app. For sciences, this is such a good way of revising as not only do you cover material by making the flashcards, but then you have so many flashcards to use for revision for the big GCSEs. This app is renowned throughout the medical industry as so many people find it useful. Try it if you can, because this will benefit you a lot in A levels as well!

Dentistry is a competitive place, so make sure you are ready mentally. Not as in dentistry is bad, but make sure that you are not falling back on studies or suffering from mental health issues as Y11-12 is a terrible time to fall back, even though it's so common. Stop thinking about the future and think about now and think about how you can get ahead of things right now. Be happy and enjoy the adventure; don't let anything drag you down! If there is something you are struggling with, talk about it to anyone you trust. I'm talking a lot about mental health because I know so many people who were going for dentistry but due to mental issues they fell back and struggled. I had to find out what their problem was and when that had been solved, they started shining again.

So overall, focus a lot on Chemistry and Biology, and don't think about the future so much and be happy!

Thank you very much!! Yes, I’ve now started to use anki and it’s really helpful. I’m focusing on chem and bio but still trying to balance every subject so that’s a bit hard🥲 Thanks for ur advice i’ve stopped worrying too much about the future
Thank you very much!! Yes, I’ve now started to use anki and it’s really helpful. I’m focusing on chem and bio but still trying to balance every subject so that’s a bit hard🥲 Thanks for ur advice i’ve stopped worrying too much about the future

That's amazing! If you need any help with anki make sure to ask.
Reply 5
I think the first thing is to find out if you truly like dentistry. I recommend doing some research, wider reading and perhaps look at some lectures. Getting work experience is also really useful, as the realities of the job become much clearer compared to reading about it. If by the end you want to do dentistry, well the reading and work experience you did to confirm it will help you in your application (and hopefully an interview!!!). Also prep for UKCAT early!

Plymouth dental school hosts a online summer school for year 11s and sixth formers I would apply for that once it opens it’s a great experience I went last year it’s after GCSEs but apart from that just revise and work on ur GCSEs with low one ur really capped at places to apply after that in the Summer holidays begin looking for what the person above said e.g work experience and information lectures
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest