The Student Room Group

Worth Applying to Cambridge for Engineering?

I got 7 A*s and 3As in GCSEs. If I get an A in a level maths this year but have a prediction of A* and get a prediction of A*AAA would that be enough for Cambridge? Hopefully I won't have to retake and already get an A*. I know that an A* prediction in physics is almost necessary but I doubt that I will get that. So would A*A*AA be ok if it was a just A prediction for physics?
Forgot to mention:
I do Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Economics and Computer Science.
This year I did AS Computing and Economics as well as A2 maths.
Hopefully I got As in Computing and Economics and an A* in maths.
Sorry if it's a bit messy.
What do you guys think?
what do the requirements say
Original post by Ehmb
I got 7 A*s and 3As in GCSEs. If I get an A in a level maths this year but have a prediction of A* and get a prediction of A*AAA would that be enough for Cambridge? Hopefully I won't have to retake and already get an A*. I know that an A* prediction in physics is almost necessary but I doubt that I will get that. So would A*A*AA be ok if it was a just A prediction for physics?
Forgot to mention:
What do you guys think?

I wouldn't apply unless you get at least an A*A*AA prediction. If you're not even predicted the minimum entry requirements (A*A*A) then I think your chances of getting in are verging on nil, bearing in mind that the majority of applicants will be predicted to significantly exceed the entry requirements. Of course though, now that Cambridge has entrance exams for Physics you've got a chance to 'rectify' things. I still wouldn't recommend applying with A*AAA though. It doesn't specify that Physics has to be A* so I wouldn't have thought that's necessarily a death blow to your chances, although it certainly won't help.
Reply 3
Original post by Ehmb
Forgot to mention:
What do you guys think?

You will need an A* in Maths and realistically Physics too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yeah I think that I can still get an A* prediction but I was just wondering if it's possible with out it. Thanks guys for the help😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Ehmb
Yeah I think that I can still get an A* prediction but I was just wondering if it's possible with out it. Thanks guys for the help😀

They don't pay a whole lot of attention to predictions but just about every Engineering applicant will have A*A*A* (or at least A*A*A) predictions.

And achieving "only" an A in Y12 A-level Maths will also raise eyebrows.

Quick Reply

Latest