The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
gorgeousguy
is that rhetorical or do you really not know?

*claps*
it means what is x^0.5 when it has been differentiated. basically he wants you to diffgerentiate this! do you know how to do this? i was being sarcastic before after all the step threads but that wasnt directed at you.
hi there
what do you mean by the derivative - x^0.5?

Find ddxx\frac{\text{d}}{\text{d}x}\sqrt{x}
Reply 43
0.5x^-0.5
Reply 44
now what?
hi there
now what?

Now put it back into the expression that you got wrong before. And tell us what d/dx e^(x^0.5) is.
hi there
now what?
Now have a look at your answer in post #32 and see if you can work out what's wrong with it, given that ddxx0.5=0.5x0.5\frac{d}{dx} x^{0.5} = 0.5 x^{-0.5}.
Reply 47
0.5 . x^-0.5 . e^(x^0.5)
Reply 48
is that it?
no. at least not what i worked it iut to be.
Reply 50
i'm so frustrated. I've given up! What is it?
hi there
0.5 . x^-0.5 . e^(x^0.5)
Looks fine to me.
i got it to be: e^(x^0.5) /2(x^0.5)

on seconds thoughts thats the same as what you have writeen just in a different way.
gorgeousguy
i got it to be: e^(x^0.5) /2(x^0.5)
That's the same answer...
yes i know sorry. i missed out the 0.5 in the other post - ill now go and stand in the corner and hit myself with the dunce stick
gorgeousguy
yes i know sorry. i missed out the 0.5 in the other post - ill now go and stand in the corner and hit myself with the dunce stick

you and me both
have you done question 6 yet? just had a look at it and its not to bad. tbh the defferantiation is pretty simple here and if your ok with basicish algebra you shouldnt struggle getting the solution (says me after humiliating myself once tonight!)
Reply 57
no, i haven't

How do you do it?
hi there
no, i haven't

How do you do it?

V=x28xV = x^2 \sqrt{8-x}
Find dV/dx and equate it to zero to find the values for x at which the maximum (and unrequired minimum) values occur. Then put this value back into the original equation to find the maximum volume.
Use the product and chain rules by the way.

Latest