Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm really confused and my school hasn't really made it that clear.
    In regards to Year 12 AS exams I have heard they are no more and instead it is all sat at the end of year 13, so AS and A2?

But then if you check provisional A level 2017 exam timetables it says AS on some exams which throws me?

Am I sitting exams or not?

I want to study business, Spanish, economics and maths however I'm not sure on business or Spanish but I don't really have a good alternative.

Also

I may substitute business and spanish with biology and chemistry as I find it INTERESTING however I may not be a straight A* student, is this wise?

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on what your school has chosen. As far as I'm aware, if you are sitting AS exams for reformed subjects, the marks don't count towards your final A Level if you continue it in Year 13? I think that in that case, the AS is a separate qualification to the A Level.

Certain subjects haven't been reformed yet, like Maths.
    I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology next year and my school hasn't chosen to do AS exams for the reformed subjects. This means that in June 2017 I'll be sitting 6 actual AS exams for Maths/FM, and then what our school has called 'predicted grade exams' for Bio and Chem. In June 2018, I'll sit the other 6 exams for Maths/FM, and then 3 exams each for Bio/Chem which will cover all of the content over the 2 years. I think :lol:

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense - sorry if I made it more confusing
    Spoiler:
    Show
    not 100% certain about the first part btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie1999)
    Hey, I'm really confused and my school hasn't really made it that clear.
    In regards to Year 12 AS exams I have heard they are no more and instead it is all sat at the end of year 13, so AS and A2?

But then if you check provisional A level 2017 exam timetables it says AS on some exams which throws me?

Am I sitting exams or not?

I want to study business, Spanish, economics and maths however I'm not sure on business or Spanish but I don't really have a good alternative.
    A levels are undergoing a process of update and reform. The process and timeline are different in England, in Wales and in Northern Ireland. International A levels are not affected by the changes.
    As subjects change to new specifications they become linear qualifications where the two years of study are tested in exams at the end of the course. This does not mean AS disappears. AS is still available as a standalone qualification but the results gained do not count towards the final A level grade. Some schools enter all students for these new AS exams, some only enter people who will not go on to take the full A level. If you don't take AS at the end of year 12 you can be sure there will be internal exams that will decide whether you can continue into year 13 and what predicted grade you will get for university applications.
    Not all subjects have change to new specifications yet. For example, the new maths specification does not start teaching until September 2017.
    Assuming you are in England, the timeline for subject changes is given here:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...a-level-reform

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm just gonna put it out there, Business is actually not that easy especially because of the new spec. Careful with that one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.