The Student Room Group

Is it too late to drop out of an A-Level?

I'm in year 13 in the middle of my A-Level exams and I think I'm going to get a low grade in one. I don't want to have that on my uni applications so is it still possible to drop out of it even though I've already done some exams for it?
Reply 1
Original post by shirokuro3
I'm in year 13 in the middle of my A-Level exams and I think I'm going to get a low grade in one. I don't want to have that on my uni applications so is it still possible to drop out of it even though I've already done some exams for it?

It is your predicted grades from y12 that get sent off to uni for them to give you a place. Do you mean you think you are not going to meet the conditional offers you have?
Original post by shirokuro3

The exam season is almost over. It is certainly too late to drop an A-Level.

However, what you can do is make provisions and preparations for if you don't meet the grades required for your offers (if you have them), such as clearing, a foundation year, or taking a gap year to resit. If you haven't yet applied for university and waited to achieve your real grades, you'll have to apply with what you achieved next year.
Hi lovely, you are able to withdraw from an A-Level right up until the point of the completed exam papers being sent off. I withdrew from an A-Level a week before an exam. This was due to health reasons, and my college was supportive, so I appreciate it was in different circumstances.

Whether withdrawing from that A-level is the right decision really depends on how many other exams you are taking, whether the grade you get affects your university offer, and how withdrawing or now withdrawing will impact you. Have you spoken to a tutor about this? Please know you always have options, and there are foundation places and many courses in clearing, if you don’t think you will make your offer. A “bad grade” is subjective too - if it is still close to your university offer, I would talk to the admissions department and see if they will make an allowance. This can be common, depending on the university.

Good luck with your exams and future study!!

Quick Reply

Latest