The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mitchb777
Got AAB in Physics/Comp Sci the B in maths (C1-62 Will retake C2-89 D1-74) I'm doing AS FM next year and I'm debating self teaching A2 FM I'm still really not sure whether I want to do Engineering or Maths... Seriously debating quitting my job to give me more time (Was working 14 hours a week this year) I only have one chance to get into a top uni like Cambridge and I don't think I'll be able to live with myself I end next year with any regrets. Am I being stupid?

Hello and thanks for your question. A B grade in Maths when applying for Maths or Engineering is going to put you at a severe disadvantage and probably result in you not being called for interview. If you want to apply then I think applying post A Level might be your best option. I'm sorry not to be more encouraging. On the other than AAB at AS will stand you in good stead at a lot of good universities when you apply and if you are able to reduce the amount of time you are spending in your job I am sure that will help you focus on your studies. Best of luck.
Original post by jneill
Ooooh! Congratulations! :smile:

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to it, a new challenge! :smile:
Original post by domaths
How do Cambridge treat extra general subjects like EPQ, Critical Thinking etc. I did Global Perspectives Pre U and got an M1 (equivalent to a B). I would usually think a B isn't very good for Cambridge but because it's not one of my 4 A Levels does it really matter? I will be applying economics if that makes a difference.

The EPQ isn;t a general subject like the others you mention. We value the EPQ but it doesn;t form part of our offers. it can, however, form a good part of a student's application (In the PS and sometimes the interviews). We have no interest in general studies, critical thinking or global perspectives qualifications.
Original post by champ_mc99
Can I get an interview (and chance of a place) without having predicted grades matching the entry requirements?

It's unlikely that you would. We'd have to look carefully to see whether there was a mismatch between the predictions and the rest of the application and you would have a chance (if applying for a subject with a pre-interview assessment) to show potential in the admissions assessment but you woulds start on the back foot.
Original post by james1221212
Hi, i just recieved my results and i got an a* in maths and 3 a's in AS physics, economics and maths. My maths UMS scores are over 95% excluding m2 which i got a B in. i plan to do economics , will this disadvantage my application significanly?

The lower score in M2 is not going to be a major disadvantage as mechanics is not highly relevant for Economics.
Original post by fa991
(..)

Thank you
I'm from Italy, this year I applied for 4 universities with ucas for computer science.

1. UCL (x)
2. Edingburgh (x)
3. Glasgow (conditional offer)
4. University of Manchester (conditional offer)

I got rejected from UCL and Edinburgh, becuase they believed I couldn't get required marks (actually my school refused to provide the predicted grades, so I had to send the grades I obtained in the last term of the previous year), Glasgow and Uni of Manchester gave me a conditional offer.

I did the exams for my "diploma di maturità" (A-level) a month ago and got 100/100 (maximum possibile I think it's equivalent to A*)

My question is, should I waste a year and try to apply the next year for Cambridge? Is there 50/50 chance?

I've already contacted Oxford, Imperial and Cambrigde, their requirment is minimum 98/100 so it should be fine for me, Oxford asked me for my math exams (I got 9/10) and in IETS overall of 7.5

What if I start the 2016-17 session in of the two universities (Manchester or Glasgow) and apply for the 2017-18 session in Oxford, Cambridge or any other Top university starting from the year one again? Would it be possible? there will be less chances?

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Christ's Admissions
There's no need to retake applied modules as the resist will not have happened before you apply and even if you do better it won't affect whether you get an A* in Maths as that comes from C3 and C4. The best thing to do is to look forward and concentrate on putting together as strong an application as you can and doing well in next year's exams.

Okay thank you for the help, I should not have a problem with Core maths 🙂
Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

I will be here for the next month to answer your questions about admissions to Cambridge, especially if you are planning to apply this year but also to help those already holding an offer for this year and waiting for your results.

Do please fire away and I'll answer them as well and as quickly as I can.

Hello! I'm not sure whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge as I loved both of them equally when looking around. I want to apply for Law which is AAA at Oxford and A*AA at Cambridge, I'm predicted AAA. My LNAT scores have been 25 and above but my GCSE's weren't so good (2A*s, 5As, 3Bs) which is apparently bad for Oxford as they put some weight on it. I also perform quite well at interview, which do you think is better to apply to?
A pleasure, as always. It's been great to be able to help on what is a stressful day for students. Question answering will be a little lighter from me today as I'll be spending quite a lot of the day in the Pool (the Summer variety rather than the outdoor one at Christ's!) but I'd encourage people to keep asking and I'll certainly answer as soon as I can.

I guess I can use this opportunity to say that this is the last thread that I'll be running in this guise as I'm leaving Christ's next month to move to Murray Edwards College to become AT there. I'll be back, however, under a new banner with them, however, to continue my presence here.

So I expect Murray Edwards is going to be the most popular college among TSR applicants from next year and all the boys start pretending they're actually a girl.... :tongue:

Very, best wishes for your new position. :smile:
It comes with quicker and more straightforward commuting to the department from your college and definitely much less negotiating through herds of tourists for sure! I quite like Grange Road......except for the bumps....
I got 4 As in my AS results should I consider applying to the comp sci course in cambridge or oxford ??
My avg. UMS was 83%
Hello and thanks for your question. A B grade in Maths when applying for Maths or Engineering is going to put you at a severe disadvantage and probably result in you not being called for interview. If you want to apply then I think applying post A Level might be your best option. I'm sorry not to be more encouraging. On the other than AAB at AS will stand you in good stead at a lot of good universities when you apply and if you are able to reduce the amount of time you are spending in your job I am sure that will help you focus on your studies. Best of luck.

Am I disadvantaged if I apply twice? If I were to apply this year (0.1% chance of me getting in I know) and If I complete next year with A*A*A*a and reapply on a gap year will I be disadvantaged because I've applied previously?

Also since I've heard you guys have a strong dislike for gap years would I need to find something related enough to maths to do for the year?
Original post by Ahmedelkafrawy99
I got 4 As in my AS results should I consider applying to the comp sci course in cambridge or oxford ??
My avg. UMS was 83%

You need to give more details, like what AS subjects you're taking and UMS in each subject.
Hi, got my AS results yesterday and have a few questions about applying for 2017 entry.

(At GCSE I got 12A* and at AS I got 4 A's in English Lit, History, Maths and RS. I am hoping to study History or History and Politics at either Oxford or Cambridge)

1. How are Cambridge dong AS-level UMS averages this year? The only UMS scores I got were for Maths and RS as the other 2 have gone linear. My averages were 91 for Maths and 99 for RS, giving an overall average of 95 - is this how they will calculate UMS averages this year? If so what about my scores in English and History - I would expect to have done better in these than in Maths so should I try and find out my marks and mention in the application?

2. Based on the above information, would you say I had a better chance of being accepted at Oxford or Cambridge?

3. I would love to do History and Politics however at Oxford the acceptance rate is very low compared to straight history, do you think it will be similar with the acceptance rate of the new Cambridge History and Politics course?

4. Which would you say is the better option: a) continuing with all 4 of my AS levels or b) droppping Maths and doing a History-based EPQ?

Thankyou so much, sorry theres so many questions!
Hello, I recently got my Scottish Higher results:

Chemistry - A, band 2 (83%)
Computing - A, band 2 (80%)
English - A, band 1 (83%)
Mathematics - A, band 1 (97%)
Modern Studies - A, band 2 (73%)

As a Computer Science hopeful, will the number of A band 2s I have disadvantage me in my application?

(National 5 results were Chemistry, Computing, English, French, Mathematics, Modern Studies & Physics all at grade A)
(edited 7 years ago)
Apparently my application is in the summer pool so if you want to pick it up that'd be really cool and probably make my entire life, thank you Christ's :redface:
Original post by Poppycharlotte
Apparently my application is in the summer pool so if you want to pick it up that'd be really cool and probably make my entire life, thank you Christ's :redface:

hahahahahahhahahah
Original post by Poppycharlotte

Always worth a try :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

I am applying for Economics at Cambridge and achieved an A in maths, physics and economics AS. I also sat my A2 maths a year early so I got an A* in that but my school does not 'cash' this result in until the end of next year. Next year I am doing my further maths AS and A2- would it be better for me to cash in my A* in maths now or does it not make a difference?

By the end of next year I will have four complete A levels but if I don't cash in my A* now then my application will look like I only did 3 AS subjects which I feel might look weaker - what should I do?

Also, if I do cash it in this year then will it go towards an offer if I am made one? For example if the offer was A*A*A would my A* from year 12 mean I only have to get A*A next year?

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 499
Hello,
I want to apply for mathematics. my results were 1A* 4As. I sat my maths A level in year 12 and got 94%. For my AS level I got 93% in physics, 90% in chemistry, 87% in Further maths (although I want to get some of the F.Math units remarked), Economics 82% . Is this good enough? @Christ's Admissions @jneill

Latest

Trending

Trending