The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks for the replies. I am targeting the following unis:

1. Mathematics or Mathematics and Statistics (Oxford)
2. Business Mathematics & Statistics (LSE)
3. Mathematics and Statistics for Finance (Imperial)
4. Mathematics and Statistical Science (UCL)
5. MORSE (Warwick)

I know the BMS course may be a little weaker than most of LSE's other subjects, but what I am aiming for is to get into BMS and change to Act Sci or M+E if I get good first year results.

I've had a look at Imperial Maths UG Admissions Requirements as well. Do they make an offer based on the subjects you take? Would they prefer a student with AAA or AAAB (the B being Physics)? :confused:

One question though, is the Mathematics and Statistical Science course at UCL any good? Otherwise which course would you guys recommend?

Many Thanks in advance! :tsr2:
ox, imp, ucl . . .then not sure which order i would put the other two . . .
Reply 22

My order of the best courses on your list:

Oxford
Imperial
Warwick
UCL
LSE
Reply 23
Gunner1989
My order of the best courses on your list:

Oxford
Imperial
Warwick
UCL
LSE

personally, i would put LSE 3rd; before warwick.
1.Oxford
2.Warwick/Imperial
3.LSE
Reply 25
The Orientalist
1.Oxford
2.Warwick/Imperial
3.LSE

You think MORSE is as good as mathematics with statistics for finance at imperial???
Reply 26
What grades did you achieve, or the minimum requirements for imperial, to study maths, and is further maths essiantial?
Gunner1989
You think MORSE is as good as mathematics with statistics for finance at imperial???

As suggested from my previous post, yes.
Reply 28
The Orientalist
As suggested from my previous post, yes.

Lol. Well you most certainly have a different view to most academics i've spoken to.
Reply 29
kchika
I've had a look at Imperial Maths UG Admissions Requirements as well. Do they make an offer based on the subjects you take? Would they prefer a student with AAA or AAAB (the B being Physics)? :confused:

from what I can tell, if you're doing physics a-level your offer from imperial will specify it. so AAA in maths, fm and physics.
Reply 30
aqfrenzy
from what I can tell, if you're doing physics a-level your offer from imperial will specify it. so AAA in maths, fm and physics.

Yep correct. It's mainly because in the first you have to do a few mechanics modules, which is at the difficulty of about M5 and some parts are beyond it.
Gunner1989, how many times have you been banned from tsr?
Reply 32
The Orientalist
Gunner1989, how many times have you been banned from tsr?

Never. Why?
Reply 33
I appreciate all the replies but lets not get carried away here. :smile:

So here's my real dilemma: should I apply for Straight Maths (G100) (where available) or should I apply for Mathematics and Statistics (as in OXF, UCL and BMS/MORSE at LSE/Warwick)?

I'm afraid if I apply for G100 in some unis and M+S at others it won't look as good on my PS. Any thoughts?

Highly appreciated! :biggrin:
Reply 34
^^ Since they should be similar courses, not only will the universities mind less (if they mind at all) if they do notice, it will be easy to make it look as though you are only writing one PS. Just say that you enjoy all areas of Maths, but feel that you'd like to pursue Statistics especially, or something like that. Also, remember that the Personal Statement for Maths is apparently a piece of information that they rarely use, if at all. When I applied to Oxford, stuff I'd put on my personal statement was used very briefly, either at the end or beginning of the interviews - hardly crucial questions. So I personally think you should feel free to apply for Maths or Maths and Stats.

Hope that helps!
Reply 35
kchika
I appreciate all the replies but lets not get carried away here. :smile:

So here's my real dilemma: should I apply for Straight Maths (G100) (where available) or should I apply for Mathematics and Statistics (as in OXF, UCL and BMS/MORSE at LSE/Warwick)?

I'm afraid if I apply for G100 in some unis and M+S at others it won't look as good on my PS. Any thoughts?

Highly appreciated! :biggrin:

Unis don't know which other unis and courses you applied to.
Reply 36
RichE
Unis don't know which other unis and courses you applied to.

Pardon my ignorance, but is this true? From what I've heard, they'll be able to see it. Can anyone please explain? :smile:
Reply 37
kchika
Pardon my ignorance, but is this true? From what I've heard, they'll be able to see it. Can anyone please explain? :smile:

The other unis are removed from the UCAS form before they make it to the admitting tutors.
Reply 38
spencer-smith
When apply for Imperial, try to opt for MSci Mathematics, because of the funding issue.

Why is this? Would anyone please explain? :confused:

Okay let's say I got admitted into Imperial applying as G100, is it possible to change to the four-year course (G103)?
Reply 39
kchika
Why is this? Would anyone please explain? :confused:

Okay let's say I got admitted into Imperial applying as G100, is it possible to change to the four-year course (G103)?

Yes, it would be possible, but your LEA/funding association may well not want to fund you for the extra year if it isn't declared from the outset, and so, as a result, you should apply for the G103, rather than the G100, so as to avoid this risk altogether. That way, you either get funded for all 4 years, or you switch to the 3 year course, and your LEA/funding association is very happy not to have to fund your last year!

Latest