The Student Room Group

Anyone else get low grades with New Higher History?

Hey there folks, I went to Fife College this year and quite a lot of my classmates, myself included, received Cs in History when our results arrived today. This was a hell of a shock, as many of us were projected for As and Bs. This was after a prelim that had very similar questions to those that were in the exam that many of us received marks in the high 40 range.

Many of us are requesting remarks, with the possibility of a petition in the future, as we feel let down and deceived by our final results.

So my question here is, is this an isolated incident (something left out of our curriculum due to the transition to new higher) or a more wide-spread issue with the new higher itself?
Original post by Thejor
Hey there folks, I went to Fife College this year and quite a lot of my classmates, myself included, received Cs in History when our results arrived today. This was a hell of a shock, as many of us were projected for As and Bs. This was after a prelim that had very similar questions to those that were in the exam that many of us received marks in the high 40 range.

Many of us are requesting remarks, with the possibility of a petition in the future, as we feel let down and deceived by our final results.

So my question here is, is this an isolated incident (something left out of our curriculum due to the transition to new higher) or a more wide-spread issue with the new higher itself?

Hi

It is more than likely something wrong at your collage If you look here http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/64717.html
you can see a breakdown of the grades given for each subject and at Higher 36.8% got an A for History and 67.1 % got and A or a B which is inline both with previous years and other subjects

I appreciate you must every disappointed but I am not sure what a petition would do- or what it would say . If you are close to the border of the next grade up it is worth asking for a remark but do remember that marks can go down as well as up
Reply 2
Cheers, those stats were very helpful. Didn't know they were readily available. We're just trying to weigh up our options here really. A petition would be a last-ditch effort I suppose, in order to get an explanation of what exactly happened and why the attainment ratio for A and B-levels were so low in our class. It's good to know it might just be our class anyway, gives us a decent chance of action being taken.
From New College Lanarkshire. My whole class failed our Higher History exam. I got no award, despite being predicted as a comfortable pass.
I know a friend (in a different school) who was predicted an A and got a D, but nobody really in my school. Perhaps some topics were worse than others?
Reply 5
Original post by RyanDoherty89
From New College Lanarkshire. My whole class failed our Higher History exam. I got no award, despite being predicted as a comfortable pass.

Cumbernauld or Motherwell? As I know a few from Cumbernauld that got awards.
Motherwell Campus

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending