The Student Room Group

uni application

I sent of my UCAS a little while ago and keep seeing people who've applied to 5 Russel groups...I applied to Oxford, ucl, York, Loughborough and Royal holloway (for history). I was predicted a*a*a* and have an a* in my EPQ...should I have aimed higher with the last two? I can still switch out royal holloway and Loughborough- do you think I should, or are they fine as safeties?
Original post by tsr2801
I sent of my UCAS a little while ago and keep seeing people who've applied to 5 Russel groups...I applied to Oxford, ucl, York, Loughborough and Royal holloway (for history). I was predicted a*a*a* and have an a* in my EPQ...should I have aimed higher with the last two? I can still switch out royal holloway and Loughborough- do you think I should, or are they fine as safeties?

There is nothing wrong with those choices. Realistically i know people who have been predicted A* grades yet have gotten B's (or even less) in their A-Levels. I would say that these are a fantastic range of choices, as they provide a good spectrum of choices ranging from some of the worlds finest institutions to some lesser known ones. This is also good as it allows for you to likely get extremely good offers from some unis, as their entry requirements are low compared to your good predicted grades. So I would say this is a completely reasonable choices and I wish you the best of luck!
Reply 2
Both RH and L'boro are ranked higher for history ( https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/history ) than Liverpool and Cardiff, for instance, which are Russell Group. So there is no point applying to a RG just because it is RG, if you liked the other two.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by tsr2801

Do you like the courses? What precisely appealed to you about each one?
Original post by tsr2801

Hi @tsr2801

Well done for sending off your UCAS application!

I know you're unsure as to whether you want to still apply to Loughborough but I'd thought I'd reply and say I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about student life here or more generally about Loughborough.

When I applied to uni something that helped me to narrow down where I wanted to go was to look at the course pages and take a look at the modules offered by each course and see what I preferred - I've linked our History course page here. I think something else that is important is to visit the unis you want to go to (either on open or offer holder days) just to get a feel for where you will be living for the next three-ish years. You may realise you prefer one uni's campus or facilities to another or feel like you fit in better but I found visiting my top 2/3 choices to be really helpful when making my final decision.

Good luck with your applications :smile:

Jess
Original post by tsr2801

There are students who come on here everywhere distraught because they have applied to the very top universities and ended up with 5 rejections. You have acted very sensibly and should ensure this wont happen to you. You have covered all your boxes. The russell group is meaningless. It is a body set up to promote its interests dont fall for it.

If you like RHUL and Loughborough go for it. If you want to change it do it for the right reasons not because it of a self marketing body.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending