The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Who's on their way to Reading?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jsantos
Nah i actually was one of the ones that got emailed by accident. Lucky i guess haha i think most Psy students did

Oh so it was an accident? I was wondering why😅😅
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by gilberta
Oh so it was an accident? I was wondering why😅😅

They sent me an email later saying it was a mistake and its in the local newspaper site too (I'm from the area)- I started a thread on this site about it because I was confused and most people called me a troll and didn't believe me which just left me more confused xD I'm still waiting for my specific results, though I believe I got an A* in my EPQ from looking at the grade boundaries :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Kali.x.
Hiya Everyone!!

I've got a place on the Art and Film & Theatre for 2016, staying in Windsor Hall.

Who else is going and what are you doing?!

:biggrin:

Hi!!

I'm doing English Literature and Film & Theatre, but I'm staying in St. George's. Are you excited? The film department looks so amazing!! :-)
Hi everyone, I just found out that I got an unconditional offer :biggrin:

I'm going to be studying Italian and Economics :h:
Original post by antoniamontana
Hi everyone, I just found out that I got an unconditional offer :biggrin:

I'm going to be studying Italian and Economics :h:

good job!! I guess ucas track worked for you?
Original post by scaphrax
Got an unconditional offer for pharmacy at Reading.

me too ...woop
Original post by tammymxx
me too ...woop

Congrats! You will love Reading! :biggrin:

I just finished my third year of pharmacy there, incase you need some questions to be answered about the course, I will be happy to answer.
Original post by James A
Congrats! You will love Reading! :biggrin:

I just finished my third year of pharmacy there, incase you need some questions to be answered about the course, I will be happy to answer.

Hey, I'm going to be studying pharmacy this coming September, I just want to ask during 1st year, around middle October time, do the department give any important labs or anything on the Friday? Just that I need to go to my brother in law's stag-do around the 14-16th of October, if not its definitely gonna be a Friday and coming back on a Sunday. If I am gonna miss something really important, am I allowed as a student to request to join an earlier lab that week despite me not being put into that lab group from the beginning ( I have studied pharmacy before, had to leave due to personal family reasons).

Also, to what exact extent does the department of pharmacy help you guys:

1.) Get placements/work experience
2.) to increase your chances of securing a pre-reg placement

Final question and this is a bit stupid and just for my recreational activity. Do you think its a ideal thing to do to buy a pc for gaming during studying at Pharmacy Reading? Like....does Reading really stress out the students to a ridiculous extent cus when I was in Medway, we complained about how much work they threw at us compared to other unis and even the department agreed to some extent that they were being too much but they couldnt obviously change anything.
I won't be on it like every day, i know how to control myself.

Does the department also have certain mid term tests/exams in which you have to pass in order to progress through the middle of 1st year/2nd year or is it just winter/summer exams? Do they have numeracy tests?
Hey, I'm going to be studying pharmacy this coming September, I just want to ask during 1st year, around middle October time, do the department give any important labs or anything on the Friday? Just that I need to go to my brother in law's stag-do around the 14-16th of October, if not its definitely gonna be a Friday and coming back on a Sunday. If I am gonna miss something really important, am I allowed as a student to request to join an earlier lab that week despite me not being put into that lab group from the beginning ( I have studied pharmacy before, had to leave due to personal family reasons).

I am not sure about your timetable but they won't really hold important labs around then.. the important things happen near the end of the uni year! I'm going to assume that you should contact the year 1 tutor (Dr John Brazier) to find out more information, I assume that's what you would have to do in order to find out the rough timetable?

Also, to what exact extent does the department of pharmacy help you guys:

1.) Get placements/work experience

The uni arranges day placements at The Royal Berkshire Hospital and community pharmacies around Reading. At the end of third year you also get a hospital/community week placement arranged by the uni, but I'd strongly strongly recommend that you look for placements yourself and apply to as many places as possible, especially if you want to do hospital pharmacy for your pre-reg, it's worth getting some experience by applying around. It looks very good on your hospital pre-reg application.

2.) to increase your chances of securing a pre-reg placement

Read the bit I wrote above as it covers that! Also, yes, hospitals love to see people who have gone out their way to find work experience on their own accord.

Final question and this is a bit stupid and just for my recreational activity. Do you think its a ideal thing to do to buy a pc for gaming during studying at Pharmacy Reading? Like....does Reading really stress out the students to a ridiculous extent cus when I was in Medway, we complained about how much work they threw at us compared to other unis and even the department agreed to some extent that they were being too much but they couldn't obviously change anything.
I won't be on it like every day, i know how to control myself.

I'd say not to get a gaming PC, a laptop is probably a better option?

What about any hobbies or sports to sign up to? It's worth considering that tbh, but if you really want to then for sure you can get a gaming PC. I'm not sure about the uni halls and their policy with their firewall/ports.

Does the department also have certain mid term tests/exams in which you have to pass in order to progress through the middle of 1st year/2nd year or is it just winter/summer exams? Do they have numeracy tests?

They tend to hold end of term tests and they're informal so they have no bearing on your grades or progression throughout the academic year. In fourth year where you have to do your OSCE exams and you need to pass that to pass the year.

They also hold a non-calculator dosing test in first year where you need to pass, but then again I don't know much about first year stuff because they changed the syllabus around alot.

Hope that helped. :smile:
Original post by James A
I am not sure about your timetable but they won't really hold important labs around then.. the important things happen near the end of the uni year! I'm going to assume that you should contact the year 1 tutor (Dr John Brazier) to find out more information, I assume that's what you would have to do in order to find out the rough timetable?

The uni arranges day placements at The Royal Berkshire Hospital and community pharmacies around Reading. At the end of third year you also get a hospital/community week placement arranged by the uni, but I'd strongly strongly recommend that you look for placements yourself and apply to as many places as possible, especially if you want to do hospital pharmacy for your pre-reg, it's worth getting some experience by applying around. It looks very good on your hospital pre-reg application.

Read the bit I wrote above as it covers that! Also, yes, hospitals love to see people who have gone out their way to find work experience on their own accord.

I'd say not to get a gaming PC, a laptop is probably a better option?

What about any hobbies or sports to sign up to? It's worth considering that tbh, but if you really want to then for sure you can get a gaming PC. I'm not sure about the uni halls and their policy with their firewall/ports.

They tend to hold end of term tests and they're informal so they have no bearing on your grades or progression throughout the academic year. In fourth year where you have to do your OSCE exams and you need to pass that to pass the year.

They also hold a non-calculator dosing test in first year where you need to pass, but then again I don't know much about first year stuff because they changed the syllabus around alot.

Hope that helped. :smile:

Yeah I play table tennis competitively back in Cardiff, Wales in the U21 league, so definitely planning on joining the tt soc during the sports fair and fingers crossed their team.

How many exams do the undergrads have to do in their first year, on the website it says 3 modules but is it not usually four? Something like chem, biochem, pharmacy practise and physiology, along those lines? Are the exams based on MCQ's or essay based questions, or a bit of both?

Btw, in terms of the raw chemistry content, is it just taught in the 1st year and then from 2nd theres no chemistry, instead, like above, biochem or something along those lines?

In your experience, were there anyone older than 20 in the course, just that I am a mature student, 21, and am kinda worried if other people will see in being too old.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is it just me struggling to get through to reading to confirm my place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WaywardWriter
Is it just me struggling to get through to reading to confirm my place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi WaywardWriter,
Sorry to hear you are struggling to get through, keep trying the Clearing Hotline. The team are working all day answering calls, anticipate the phone-lines are currently at it's peak.

Mark :smile:
2nd Year Accounting and Management
Yeah I play table tennis competitively back in Cardiff, Wales in the U21 league, so definitely planning on joining the tt soc during the sports fair and fingers crossed their team.

How many exams do the undergrads have to do in their first year, on the website it says 3 modules but is it not usually four? Something like chem, biochem, pharmacy practise and physiology, along those lines? Are the exams based on MCQ's or essay based questions, or a bit of both?

Btw, in terms of the raw chemistry content, is it just taught in the 1st year and then from 2nd theres no chemistry, instead, like above, biochem or something along those lines?

In your experience, were there anyone older than 20 in the course, just that I am a mature student, 21, and am kinda worried if other people will see in being too old.

They completely overhauled the syllabus so you should be doing the three exams for the modules respectively.

I'm not entirely sure about your exams, again, you will find out on the first week about how your exams will be set out .

You're totally correct about the chemistry bit yes!

There definitely are people above 20 years old, you will definitely get those people in the year.

:smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Victoriadare
Hey, I am going to study International Relations and Economics. I still need to apply for accommodation, I got in by early clearing

I just got into Fawley Bridge Loddon House , i think they have a few rooms left if your quick
Got in for econimcs and finance And probably staying in childs I think!
Original post by bonjovi99
Got in for econimcs and finance And probably staying in childs I think!

Congratulations :smile:

Mark
2nd Year Accounting and Management
Hi, I am going to be studying zoology, so excited! Reading was my firm choice and I'm just wondering whether we have to confirm the place on UCAS track or whether it goes through automatically? Thanks :smile:
Hey guys :smile:

I will be studying art and psychology joint honours at Reading. I've chosen Windsor x
Reply 38
ill be studying pharmacy xx
Reply 39
I'm gonna be studying Zoology and staying in Wessex Halls. If anyone is doing either send me a message so i can make friends before hand! :biggrin: Very excited!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending