The Student Room Group

Bad ukcat results and getting into medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asiangirl101
HELP PLEASEJust did my UKCAT and did so bad 1870 so averages to 623!GCSEs : 6A*'s and 3A'sA level predictions: A* A A (maths, bio, chem)Work experience: GP's and attending home visits , week in a hospital + observing surgeries, 6 months part time at a care homeAnd I'm good for extra curricular.The only UKCAT university I'm really fussed about is St.Geogres but I think it's too low to apply. Any advice would be appreciated.I will do the BMAT as I want to go to Sussex.(I was in band 3 for situational judgement lol, but St.Geroges isn't looking at that this year. )

Hey I got 660 this year and don't know where to apply I feel like this is really bad ):
Original post by vanillacupcake99
Hi, which unis have low GCSE requirements as I got 4A*, 5As and 3Bs (unfortunately a B in eng lit + lang). I didn't get overly high in UKCAT either (660 av). I feel as tho I won't be abe to get into any unis with these as although they have low gcse and ukcat requirements they often only take the best for interviews and offers. Any advice would really be appreciated

I got same ukcat! Where did you apply??
Reply 42
Original post by imanonymous123
So I've been waiting until I actually sat my UKCAT exam to post this because I knew I would eventually have to.

In my UKCAT exam today I scored:
VR-590
QR-600
AR-640
SJ-Band 2

I'm going to take the BMAT in November and hope for the best with that. I just want to know what my chances in medicine are.

GCSE's and Extra Qualifications: 1 A*, 9 A's, 6 B's and 1 C
AS Level subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English Language and Literature(results pending) + EPQ

Any advice and options for unis will help pls. Thanks

Have you ever considered Studying Medicine abroad? The course is recognized by the GMC which means you don't have to take any exams when you come back to the UK in order to practice! I'm sure if you pass the entrance test with high enough grades then you'll receive an offer. I study abroad too and it was probably the best decision I've ever made. I applied through Tutelage and they literally took care of the whole application process and even flew out with me to settle me in and get accommodation. Hope i helped!
UKCAT Tips

1. Work on theory first. Understand each question type, and focus on your step by step approach. For example, in VR you want to use the Keyword Approach as opposed to reading the whole passage.

2. Do lots of practice. Use the official questions and other question resources.

3. Work on timing. The exam is all about timing, so work on doing quick, timed practices.

4. Adapt to conditions. You have a stuffy room, and old fashioned computer, people around you, the UKCAT on screen calculator, a 2 hour sitting. Get used to this scenario by going to the library and doing a mock.

I'd really recommend our 100% Free Youtube Tutorials, they should help www.youtube.co.uk/medicmind

Good luck!

Kunal D
UKCAT Teacher
www.youtube.co.uk/medicmind
Definitely don't lose hope if your UKCAT score is on the lower end. I applied for Medicine last year and I managed to get a place at Manchester med school, but when my UKCAT score came out it wasn't as high as I had hoped and I was a little disappointed.

I've put together a blog post on some of the ways you can combat a low score on the UKCAT to help you to still secure a place at medical school. I thought it might be useful for some of you to have a read of it here: masumahjannah.wordpress.com/low-ukcat-score
UKCAT Tips

1. Work on theory first. Understand each question type, and focus on your step by step approach. For example, in VR you want to use the Keyword Approach as opposed to reading the whole passage.

2. Do lots of practice. Use the official questions and other question resources.

3. Work on timing. The exam is all about timing, so work on doing quick, timed practices.

4. Adapt to conditions. You have a stuffy room, and old fashioned computer, people around you, the UKCAT on screen calculator, a 2 hour sitting. Get used to this scenario by going to the library and doing a mock.

I'd really recommend our 100% Free Youtube Tutorials, they should help www.youtube.co.uk/medicmind

You can buy the full course for just £25! Use the code MENTOR5 at checkout

Good luck!

Kunal D
UKCAT Teacher
Original post by Medic Mind
UKCAT Tips

You can buy the full course for just £25! Use the code MENTOR5 at checkout

Good luck!

Kunal D
UKCAT Teacher

Which medical universities do I stand the greatest chance in obtaining an offer for medicine?
GCSES : 5A*, rest As, and a B in English language
Predictions: 3A*
AS: A in maths (average 97 UMS)
UKCAT: 685 band 1
Thanks!
Reply 47
i got a ukcat score of 627 and band 2. im absolutely gutted after all the hard work i put in. I was thinking of applyign to kings, barts, birmingham and bristol. I know the first two are really really ukcat heavy but do i stand a chance if i have 10A*s and a couple As at gcse and predicted 41 in the IB or am i just kidding myself? I was hoping that maybe my high predictions will compensate..especially for kings as i want to go there so so badly for dentistry!! any opinions?
Original post by 804804
i got a ukcat score of 627 and band 2. im absolutely gutted after all the hard work i put in. I was thinking of applyign to kings, barts, birmingham and bristol. I know the first two are really really ukcat heavy but do i stand a chance if i have 10A*s and a couple As at gcse and predicted 41 in the IB or am i just kidding myself? I was hoping that maybe my high predictions will compensate..especially for kings as i want to go there so so badly for dentistry!! any opinions?

627 is not a bad score, its probably around average this year if it follows previous trends. You can still keep Bristol (UKCAT worth 20%) and Birmingham who score applicants on GCSEs and yours are very strong. I'm not sure about Kings and Barts, The rest of your application is very very strong so you will still stand a chance if you apply wisely!
Reply 49
thank you!! i think im might not apply to barts but kings is my dream so i was wondering if it would be worth taking the risk! but thanks for the kind comments!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending