The Student Room Group

Economics Applicants 2017

Seeing as there is no thread and we are approaching September I have decided to create this. This thread is for those applying for 2017 entry for Economics or a joint honours and can be used to share application tips. You can also fill this out:
AS results:
Prospective Universities:

Scroll to see replies

AS results: AABB
Prospective Universities: Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham (other two undecided)
Original post by dakofsta

Good set of results, which subjects did you do at AS and are you planning to take them all to A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
AS Results: AAAA (Chemistry, Physics, Maths and economics)
unis: Warwick, UCL, Bath (don't know about the other 2)
Btw, should I drop an A2 Subject (either chem or physics) and do further maths as, and should I do an EPQ?
Thanks in Advance
Original post by Supplynddemand99
AS Results: AAAA (Chemistry, Physics, Maths and economics)
unis: Warwick, UCL, Bath (don't know about the other 2)
Btw, should I drop an A2 Subject (either chem or physics) and do further maths as, and should I do an EPQ?
Thanks in Advance

Possibly Oxbridge for one and a safe, lower grade offer for the other?
If you feel like you are able to continue with your subjects then you won't need to! Although if you were to I'd recommend Chemistry or Physics. Further Maths is greatly helpful for highly mathematical courses such as UCL's, yet is not a necessity. If you were to do an EPQ I'd recommend doing it for the winter cycle and getting an A or higher would lower a Bath offer from A*AA to AAA which would be helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by dakofsta

What subjects?
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Possibly Oxbridge for one and a safe, lower grade offer for the other?
If you feel like you are able to continue with your subjects then you won't need to! Although if you were to I'd recommend Chemistry or Physics. Further Maths is greatly helpful for highly mathematical courses such as UCL's, yet is not a necessity. If you were to do an EPQ I'd recommend doing it for the winter cycle and getting an A or higher would lower a Bath offer from A*AA to AAA which would be helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where would you like to go?
AS results for me were awful, BBDE, B in economics + physics, D in Chemistry and E in Maths. So I've said goodbye to the maths and dropped that, and will be working as hard as I can to bring my grades up. Ultimately I would like to go to Loughborough, but I'm also looking at Keele and the University of Buckingham.
Original post by Supplynddemand99
Where would you like to go?

Oxford UCL Warwick Bath and Surrey

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RallySPORT
AS results for me were awful, BBDE, B in economics + physics, D in Chemistry and E in Maths. So I've said goodbye to the maths and dropped that, and will be working as hard as I can to bring my grades up. Ultimately I would like to go to Loughborough, but I'm also looking at Keele and the University of Buckingham.

Loughborough looks pretty good: D but your options are limited by the lack of maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I know I limited my options (I actually wanted to do engineering but without an A in maths there's no availability) but for starters, the school decided I would drop it rather than me lol, and there are quite a few in the mid/highish league table uni's which don't require it thankfully other than at GCSE, which I got an A* in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oxford UCL Warwick Bath and Surrey

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice mix :smile:. How much o you think oxford, UCL, Warwick care about GCSEs, because I only got 4A*, 7A's and 2 b's
Hi everyone, I'm on a gap year now and am reapplying. I went through the process last year so I can try to answer any questions you may have.

GCSE: 5A* 4A 1B
AS: AAAA
A2: A*AA & A* EPQ
Prospective Universities: Oxford, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Bristol
Hi i'm just a curious outsider passing by. I know that A Level Economics is heavily essay based. Do you prospective economic undergraduates know what an economic degree entails? Is it really mathematical. If so then I wouln't mind doing it as a second degree in the future!
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Hi i'm just a curious outsider passing by. I know that A Level Economics is heavily essay based. Do you prospective economic undergraduates know what an economic degree entails? Is it really mathematical. If so then I wouln't mind doing it as a second degree in the future!
Maths content depends on the modules you take and which uni you go to. LSE and UCL, for example, require an A* in A level Maths and like to see Further Maths as their first year is heavily based on statistics and other mathematical methods. Some unis offer a BA so are less Mathematical in nature. As a rule though, degree level Economics is far more mathematical than at A level.
Reply 15

A bit of both really but what surprises a lot of students starting an economics degree is the amount of maths you have to learn throughout your degree. It largely depends on what year your in the amount of essays you write and maths you do tbh.

I think I can help you on this. A little background: I did a Bsc Economics degree in 2012 but I don't think the syllabus have changed much since.

This will depend on whether you degree is BA or BSc tbh. The difference in mine between the two was calculus in BA was a little simpler and taught slower and to a lower level and there was a little Econometrics(i.e. Applied Statistics).
However, in my degree BSc Economics, each semister there was one Calculus Module(i.e. Differentiation and Optimisation), one Econometrics and one Micro/Macro module and normally I could choose the fourth module. So at the minimum it would be at least 50% mathematical and I tended to pick a financial/mathematical module as a fourth anyway. This structure was throughout all three years tbh.

If you want mathematical degree, Bsc tends to be more mathematical in my opinion,but if universities will only offer BA it is different in those cases, however if both are offered, BSc will likely be more mathematical but the course description will give you a better Idea.

Hope that helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
So samiz, would you choose a BA over a BSc? And do you think that a BA reduces your career prospects compared to a BSc? Thanks
AS Results: AAAAB
Predicted A Levels: A*A*A*A
Prospective Universities: Cambridge, Warwick, UCL, Durham and Nottingham
(edited 7 years ago)
Good set of results, which subjects did you do at AS and are you planning to take them all to A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

Biology - B
Chemistry - B
Maths - A
Economics - A

Going to drop chemistry for A2

Quick Reply

Latest