The Student Room Group

Economics Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by FriltonMiedman
Applied to Warwick for economics on October 13th, still haven't received anything... aren't Warwick supposed to be quick with decisions?

Having the same issue as you, mine got sent off on October 10th but haven't heard anything from them
Original post by nsb99
Having the same issue as you, mine got sent off on October 10th but haven't heard anything from them

Oh, nice to see someone sharing the agonizing wait... are you an international applicant?
Barely anyone has heard back from Warwick yet, and those who have mostly seem to be international. No need to worry, last year they took until March to get back to me (having applied in October).
Has anyone heard from Bath and UCL?
Please mention when you applied and when you got a reply. :smile:
Original post by alexwells2312
Wow well done on the Warwickm been waiting sooo long for warwick, think your bath should come quite soon so not to worry

Thanks! Good luck to you too. I hope you hear from Warwick soon
Grades: IB 45 points with Biology, Chemistry and Math at HL and Economics, English and Chinese at SL.
Universities: Cambridge, LSE, St Andrews (offered), UCL, Warwick (offered).

My dream choice is Cambridge but I've gotten around to thinking extensively about my other choices so that I can merely treat Cambridge as a bonus should I be fortunate enough to get in, seeing how admissions to Cambridge is a bit of a wildcard. Apart from Cambridge, I'm applying to LSE, St Andrews, Warwick and UCL. So far I've already gotten my unconditional offers from SA and Warwick, and I am somewhat assured of my chances at the other two universities which haven't responded.

I'm applying for Economics, and I'm torn between two choices. LSE and St Andrews.

From what I gather (correct me if I'm wrong), LSE is the clear contender for the university that offers the best undergradute Economics course in terms of quality and prestige, rivalling and to some people even outperforming Cambridge. However, I dislike the prospect of living right in the heart of a busy city like London, surrounded by people who are very career-driven and wish little more out of their degree than a job in finance or the like.

I am greatly leaning towards St Andrews as it fits the bill for me; a quiet seaside town that has lots of history behind it, and quite prestigious in terms of reputation and entry standards. However, I am very particular about the quality of learning i get at my prospective university. One big thing about studying in Scotland is that I have to do 4 years. Also, St Andrews has a modular system of learning very much like the liberal arts education in the US which may be a good thing to some but not much so to me. I am very certain of what I want to study, so I believe I would benefit less from mucking about choosing modules in my first 2 years. I am also suspicious that the teaching quality might suffer looking at the sheer volume of modules the university offers. It seems that teaching quality might vary based on the module you're taking and who is teaching it, and I feel a rigid 3-year course like that in the UK would be much better structured and optimized with a single department poring over every detail. I know league tables can be a bit meaningless to some people, but the placing of St Andrews in various categories seems to fluctuate a lot. In the UK, I can always be certain that universities like LSE and Cambridge will pop up in the top 10, if not the top 5. Sometimes St Andrews shows up near the top, but there have been cases where I find it lagging behind in the 30th or 40th place.

I would greatly appreciate your advice on this (and please chime in if you feel I've unfairly discounted UCL and Warwick as contenders too!).
GCSE: A*A*A*AAAAAA (3 A* and 6 A)
AS: ABC (Geography, Business and Economics)
A2: Predicted A*AA, probably gonna get A*AB/C

Applied to: Birmingham for Liberal Arts & Sciences
Manchester, Leeds, Leicester and DMU for Economics

Got conditional offers from Manny & DMU
UNCONDITIONAL FROM LEICESTER WAHEYYYYY, gonna be my insurance :wink:
Sent my form a week ago (15/11) and received an offer from york on 18/11 and kent yesterday (21/11) :biggrin:

Still waiting on bristol, leeds and surrey
AS Results: AABD (English Lit, History, Maths, Physics)
A2 Predictions: AA B/A (English Lit, History, Maths - Maths should move from a B to an A
Prospective Unis: Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham, Loughbourough and Lancaster
Original post by Macmillian
AS Results: AABD (English Lit, History, Maths, Physics)
A2 Predictions: AA B/A (English Lit, History, Maths - Maths should move from a B to an A
Prospective Unis: Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham, Loughbourough and Lancaster

What were your GCSEs overall?
AS Results: AABC (Economics, Politics, Maths, Geography)
A2 Predictions: A*A*B (Politics, Economics, Maths)
Prospective Unis: Nottingham, Birmingham, Southampton, Queen Mary (London),
Sussex
I sent of my application yesterday so fingers crossed
A levels: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Economics
AS grades: A*, A, A, A
Predicted grades: A*, A*, A*, A
Prospective unis: Nottingham, Warwick, Bath, LSE, Cambridge

Waiting for LSE and Cambridge ahhh~~~~~
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KaashniM
Has anyone heard from Bath and UCL?
Please mention when you applied and when you got a reply. :smile:

Bath, yes. I applied on 14 Oct (Oxbridge deadline) and received an offer 3 weeks later.
I don't think for UCL as my friend still hasn't heard from them (she applied for econs).
Applied to Warwick for economics on October 13th, still haven't received anything... aren't Warwick supposed to be quick with decisions?

Strange...I sent mine on 14 Oct and got an offer 2 weeks later.

Same here 🙋 good luck with your application!!
Original post by Soulgeass
A levels: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Economics
AS grades: A*, A, A, A
Predicted grades: A*, A*, A*, A
Prospective unis: Nottingham, Warwick, Bath, LSE, Cambridge

Waiting for LSE and Cambridge ahhh~~~~~

I'm doing the same A levels as you omg! What Cambridge college are you applying to?
Original post by Christie_xx
I'm doing the same A levels as you omg! What Cambridge college are you applying to?

Ahhh awesome! I'm applying to St. Catz - are you applying to Cambridge as well?
Ahhh awesome! I'm applying to St. Catz - are you applying to Cambridge as well?

Yeah I am :biggrin: I'm applying to Tit Hall.
Do you know whether you've got an interview yet?
Bath, yes. I applied on 14 Oct (Oxbridge deadline) and received an offer 3 weeks later.
I don't think for UCL as my friend still hasn't heard from them (she applied for econs).

It's been exactly three weeks today since I've sent my application and I haven't heard from anywhere except Warwick. Wbu?
Original post by Christie_xx
Yeah I am :biggrin: I'm applying to Tit Hall.
Do you know whether you've got an interview yet?

Woahhhhhh, Trinity Hall feels so hard to get into especially with the essays, ECAA and interview that you have to do! I salute you if you get accepted ^^

Yes, I received an invitation for the 12th!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending