The Student Room Group

Economics Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ferrari fan
Applied on the 12th Oct with predictions A*A*A in Maths, Economics and Further maths respectively. Got 6A*4A1B and a distinction in further maths at gcse

I currently hold offers from the following institutions:
Bath- A*AA or AAA plus A grade in EPQ (Received 4th Nov)
Exeter- A*AA (Received 15th Nov)
Bristol- A*AA (Received 1st Nov)

I was rejected from Exeter college, Oxford, and am currently waiting for Warwick.
Does anyone have an offer from Warwick, and if so what are your predictions?

I heard from Warwick a week after applying. I study an Indian board but my predicted grades were very high
Reply 581
Original post by Ferrari fan
Applied on the 12th Oct with predictions A*A*A in Maths, Economics and Further maths respectively. Got 6A*4A1B and a distinction in further maths at gcse

I currently hold offers from the following institutions:
Bath- A*AA or AAA plus A grade in EPQ (Received 4th Nov)
Exeter- A*AA (Received 15th Nov)
Bristol- A*AA (Received 1st Nov)

I was rejected from Exeter college, Oxford, and am currently waiting for Warwick.
Does anyone have an offer from Warwick, and if so what are your predictions?

I have an offer from Warwick, as well as UCL and Nottingham. Still waiting to hear from Durham, and will get result of Cambridge interview mid January

Prediction was A*s in maths history and econ, and A in FM.

Good luck with Warwick, it is a good option
Original post by randj
I have an offer from Warwick, as well as UCL and Nottingham. Still waiting to hear from Durham, and will get result of Cambridge interview mid January

Prediction was A*s in maths history and econ, and A in FM.

Good luck with Warwick, it is a good option

How long did UCL take to respond? I have offers from Warwick, Bath and Exeter. Still waiting for UCL and LSE
Reply 583
Original post by KaashniM
How long did UCL take to respond? I have offers from Warwick, Bath and Exeter. Still waiting for UCL and LSE

I applied 10/10
Received email from UCL on 9/11, intention to make offer
Attended open day 23/11
Formal offer about a week later
The general thread on UCL includes a few economics applicants
Not much between Warwick, UCL and LSE so well done, you can relax!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by randj
I applied 10/10
Attended open day 23/11

Haha thank you. Congratulations to you for your offers
Original post by Buymoria
Does anyone know if any of Bath, Bristol, Durham or Warwick let in applicants that miss their offer by a grade? (Insurance is the same grade requirement as my firm)

Maybe but highly unlikely since its sooo competitive, bristol maybe.
Original post by randj
I applied 10/10
Attended open day 23/11

UCL open day did they register attendance? Was there an interview?
Reply 587
Yes, I registered, they knew I had attended.

If I had wanted, I could have left at any time, and there was no interview or required interaction - they are definitely NOT using this as a type of selection event. They must have already decided to make the offer. They were trying to sell the course to me, so I would make it my first choice, I think

For my subject, economics- I guess the rest are the same. As long as your email says 'we intend to make an offer' then they do follow through.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by azizadil1998
Maybe but highly unlikely since its sooo competitive, bristol maybe.

You're right I think, Bristol would probably be the only one to take you in even if you miss the requirements by a grade or so, they take in so many contextual applicants who receive just AAB, so if you receive AAA(and slightly lower) with an A*AA offer, you're in. This occurred at my school last year with a couple Bristol economics applicants. Do they partake in clearing too?
Original post by econprospective
You're right I think, Bristol would probably be the only one to take you in even if you miss the requirements by a grade or so, they take in so many contextual applicants who receive just AAB, so if you receive AAA(and slightly lower) with an A*AA offer, you're in. This occurred at my school last year with a couple Bristol economics applicants. Do they partake in clearing too?

It will depend every year, they may put you on another course which has lower entry requirements (not sure if they have one but e.g. Notts have industrial econ which is AAB, and econ AAA). The A*AA and AAA is probably true, especially at Nottingham I've heard many people get in with that, even with AAB, not sure how but I'm guessing uni's do that to kind of exaggerate and look good :P Not sure Bristol do much clearing, from searching around it seems their less competitive courses like languages are there but haven't seen any for econ.
(edited 7 years ago)
Which is better ucl or warwick for economics
Original post by Youngkeynes
Which is better ucl or warwick for economics

I think it's fair to assume the teaching quality is roughly the same at both. UCL might be better placed for career opportunities like internships given that it's right in one of the financial centres. I personally would rather go to Warwick as I couldn't stand living in London and Warwick seems like it'd be quieter and friendlier with less competitive students; not as many people trying to go into banking and such. Economics is one of the more recognised courses at Warwick too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 592
Original post by Infested
I think it's fair to assume the teaching quality is roughly the same at both. UCL might be better placed for career opportunities like internships given that it's right in one of the financial centres. I personally would rather go to Warwick as I couldn't stand living in London and Warwick seems like it'd be quieter and friendlier with less competitive students; not as many people trying to go into banking and such. Economics is one of the more recognised courses at Warwick too.

Agreed, not much in it.

Warwick have good connections with business as well but already being in London may be an advantage

As said above the biggest difference is whether you want to live in London or not
(edited 7 years ago)
Guys, how would you consider a new SAT total score of 1260 (Math 650, Writing & Reading 610)?
Original post by jessiismiile
Guys, how would you consider a new SAT total score of 1260 (Math 650, Writing & Reading 610)?

why are you taking SATs? but this is england we dont need it here for uni so not sure anybody here will know

New SAT (of 1600)
Old SAT (of 2400)Excellent (top 25%)12001800Good (Average)10001500Poor (lowest 25%)8401260
(edited 7 years ago)

Average but not that great

Posted from TSR Mobile

78th percentile
Reply 597

To be fair you'd need a 1470 to get into Oxbridge and probably at least a 1400 for other top unis
Original post by Maceyf
To be fair you'd need a 1470 to get into Oxbridge and probably at least a 1400 for other top unis

Thanks, it's not for me. I completed my MSc and I work in finance :smile:

It's for a friend who wants to apply to my same university (Bocconi) for the BSc program and I was wondering what could be a good SAT score to get in.

I applied many years ago (not with SAT) so I really have no clue
Reply 599
Hi guys, I'm currently on my gap year, and was wondering if anyone has received any offers?

GCSE: 6A* 8A 1B
AS: AABB (Economics, Maths, Geography, Physics)
A2: A*A*A (Economics, Geography, Maths)

Prospective Uni's: Cambridge (interviewed & awaiting response), Warwick, Durham, Bath (offer 3/11/16), St Andrews

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending