The Student Room Group

2017 Consulting summer internships/Graduate scheme

Hi All,

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread specifically for consulting applications as that way it's easier for all of us to share our progress and find out more information specifically to consulting.

Background: Heading back into final year, studying BSc Economics at the University of Bath. Just finished my placement year and a summer internship and I am now looking for 2017 graduate opportunities.

Applications wise: Only applied to Deloitte for now.

Where are you guys applying to and how's applications going?

Ryan

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryanboi

I've applied to the actuarial line of Deloitte, which technically appears under consultancy when you search for it.
Reply 2
Original post by Paraphilos
I've applied to the actuarial line of Deloitte, which technically appears under consultancy when you search for it.

That's good. Where are you now in the Deloitte's application process?
Original post by ryanboi
That's good. Where are you now in the Deloitte's application process?

I sent off my application yesterday. I was under the impression that online tests might be automated for after you submit your application but maybe I was wrong - still waiting for that!
Reply 4
I sent off my application yesterday. I was under the impression that online tests might be automated for after you submit your application but maybe I was wrong - still waiting for that!

I see - I applied last Monday. You should get an invite to do a game-based assessment within 3 working days before the online tests.

http://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/careers/articles/selection-process.html
Original post by ryanboi
I see - I applied last Monday. You should get an invite to do a game-based assessment within 3 working days before the online tests.

http://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/careers/articles/selection-process.html

I've done quite a lot of preparation for the more conventional psychometric tests - any way to prepare for this game-based one of theirs?
Reply 6
I've done quite a lot of preparation for the more conventional psychometric tests - any way to prepare for this game-based one of theirs?

Nope but as far as I am aware of, it doesn't affect your chance to the next stage (online tests). It's just a test for Deloitte to find out more about your personality traits. By the end of it, you get a personality traits report.

Online tests was fine but you might want to do some practice on Deloitte's verbal test as they were different than the IB/AM ones that I was used to.
Reply 7
haha only 2 of us applying for consultancy? Where is everyone?
Reply 8
sup lads, fairly new to consulting/professional services but would love to give summer internships a shot. Obv google is a great tool, but do you have any good website suggestions to find out more about consulting/professional services?

cheers for setting up the thread too.
Reply 9
Original post by econibpe
sup lads, fairly new to consulting/professional services but would love to give summer internships a shot. Obv google is a great tool, but do you have any good website suggestions to find out more about consulting/professional services?

cheers for setting up the thread too.

Vault Career Guide to Consulting should have lots of good information. Something extra would be to check out some McKinsey related books (haven't done so personally).

What's your background btw? I am new to consulting too. I was really into global macro hedge funds but looked into consulting 4 months ago and really liked what I was reading about the industry.
I'm planning to apply for management and strategy consulting internships - bit worried about the maths tests though.
Reply 11
Original post by Naomi12
I'm planning to apply for management and strategy consulting internships - bit worried about the maths tests though.

I assume you mean the online numerical test - it's GCSE Maths but lots of people struggle with the time limits. The main point of the test is to test you on how quickly you can interpret graphs and huge chunk of information and use those information to do simple calculations. Practice a few numerical test and you should be fine!
Going into second year with BA political economy from university of birmingham and will be applying to internships soon. Any advice and heads up guys
Original post by ryanboi
I assume you mean the online numerical test - it's GCSE Maths but lots of people struggle with the time limits. The main point of the test is to test you on how quickly you can interpret graphs and huge chunk of information and use those information to do simple calculations. Practice a few numerical test and you should be fine!

Oh really? I was really worried it would be A-level/university level maths. Is it the kind of stuff you deal with in A-level economics? I'll definitely have a go at some practise tests. Thanks :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by golden tribe
Going into second year with BA political economy from university of birmingham and will be applying to internships soon. Any advice and heads up guys

Practice as many case study interviews as you can and best do it with someone in the industry or friends. The one thing I can see myself and people whose degrees are not business related is struggling with the case study interviews. I recommend Case in Point book and practice with friends as you need to get used to presenting your ideas out loud.
Reply 15
Original post by Naomi12
Oh really? I was really worried it would be A-level/university level maths. Is it the kind of stuff you deal with in A-level economics? I'll definitely have a go at some practise tests. Thanks :smile:

Nope its GCSE Maths. A-level was 3 years ago for me but as far as I remember, yes kind of.

The numerical test will test you on mainly percentage change and ratio. The hard part of the test is not the calculations as its only GCSE level. The hard part is you need to interpret data quickly and do the correct calculation.*
Original post by ryanboi
Practice as many case study interviews as you can and best do it with someone in the industry or friends. The one thing I can see myself and people whose degrees are not business related is struggling with the case study interviews. I recommend Case in Point book and practice with friends as you need to get used to presenting your ideas out loud.

If you guys can, try to pool enough money between yourselves for the look over my shoulder thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naomi12

It's literally: division, subtraction, addition, multiplication, ratios, percentages and percentage changes, reading tables/graphs. Nothing major.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ryanboi
Vault Career Guide to Consulting should have lots of good information. Something extra would be to check out some McKinsey related books (haven't done so personally).

What's your background btw? I am new to consulting too. I was really into global macro hedge funds but looked into consulting 4 months ago and really liked what I was reading about the industry.

cheers dude, I'm at Warwick doing econ, work experience and cv is heavily geared towards IB at the moment but still gonna give consulting a shot
Done my Spring Weeks in Consultancy and Finance, feeling confident about my summer internship application. Good luck guys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest