The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm not too bothered as long as they look nice. :smile:
As has already been said, skirts usually look great on a girl. Better than jeans.
...There's me thinking girls dressed for themselves these days *smh* lol
Reply 23
tight jeans everything else unique/exclusive

well a girl that can dress better than me (is it so hard to ask for)
Reply 24
Dark and Lovely
...There's me thinking girls dressed for themselves these days *smh* lol

Come on, we all want our manner of dressing to look good to the opposite sex!
^ if that was the case from what i've heard...leggings/footless tights would not be so huge,
Reply 26
Dark and Lovely
^ if that was the case from what i've heard...leggings/footless tights would not be so huge,

*dreams of a world where footless tights and leggings don't exist*

Mmmmmmmm..........
Reply 27
I rly like the new fashions that come out from america where the where the jeans in the face.
The less the better.
Reply 29
dont know why but i really like combats on a girl a decent pair obv.
Reply 30
nothin hahahahaha [sar.]
minimo
What's your stance on tights then men?

IMO:

sheer = sexy
fishnets = pretty sleazy
opaque = functional, possibly cute if worn with nice shoes.
footless = NO.

Anyone agree? (let's not turn this into a discussion about footless tights tho, please :smile: )

Agree with everything. I really like diamond opaque tights actually - I think they're a bit more interesting than plain but usually give pretty much the same effect. Fishnets never look good unless you're trying to look slutty -- I also way prefer flowery patterns to them. I can't abide footless tights.

Interesting discussion about hold ups down here. I don't really wear them. I think they look okay (can't really tell the difference), but being short I find tights perfectly comfortable, and they have the added bonus of keeping my nether regions warm on a blustery day!
Reply 32
loopymeg

footless = urgh, just never. They're not practical, neither do they look particularly good. They could be worn under boots as an alternative to opaque tights, but they should never be worn any other way.

i dont get why ppl hate them o_____O
they are completely practical if we are talking about the same thing
they help self conscious ppl wear skirts....
and tights can make u feel more self conscious for some reason, also leggins are good
how high do u mean they would be?
Basically, the types of girls I find attractive are those who aren't dressed in the ateststyles, but those who instead have their own styles. Wearing what they find comfotable,rather than what is revealing, expensive, a brand-name or the like also earns points.

That said, I'm different to some guys.
Reply 34
moogle301
i dont get why ppl hate them o_____O
they are completely practical if we are talking about the same thing
they help self conscious ppl wear skirts....
and tights can make u feel more self conscious for some reason, also leggins are good
how high do u mean they would be?

They're not practical because:

*They don't protect you from the weather.
When it's cold, you're still going to end up with cold calves and ankles, unless you combine them with long boots. If it's warm, then you're going to end up with cool calves and ankles but hot thighs and butt. Thus, normal tights in a suitable denier would be better.

*They give false confidence.
In fact, they draw more attention to the legs because they have more detail than normal tights (the hemline). The hemline can make your legs look short and stubby, which is only OK if you have really long, bony legs. This means that you'll end up with more people staring at your legs, and so footless tights/leggings are no good if you're self-conscious. Normal tights would be better because they don't have a hemline to draw attention to the legs, and in a good colour, they can make your legs look longer and slimmer.

That's why I'm saying that you can get away with footless tights/leggings if you cover the end of them with boots, because then it'll just look like you're wearing thick opaque tights.
loopymeg
That's why I'm saying that you can get away with footless tights/leggings if you cover the end of them with boots, because then it'll just look like you're wearing thick opaque tights.

I agree with the rest of your post 100%, but why would people wear footless tights with boots? :confused: Presumably they like the footless tights look (god only knows why) and if they wanted to look like they were wearing opaque tights they'd wear opaque tightd?!
Reply 36
hang_your_heart
I agree with the rest of your post 100%, but why would people wear footless tights with boots? :confused: Presumably they like the footless tights look (god only knows why) and if they wanted to look like they were wearing opaque tights they'd wear opaque tightd?!

Leggings are supposed to be a bit thicker than tights, so they'll be a bit warmer too. I wouldn't be surprised if some people found full-length tights (or even hold ups...) to be a bit too hot for the feet when worn with boots, so leggings may be a good alternative in that situation.

*shrugs* My problem with footless tights/leggings is the hemline, for the reasons stated in my earlier post. So really, as long as I can't see the hemline then I'm not going to complain.
Reply 37
:ditto: Loopymeg
Reply 38
loopymeg
Leggings are supposed to be a bit thicker than tights, so they'll be a bit warmer too. I wouldn't be surprised if some people found full-length tights (or even hold ups...) to be a bit too hot for the feet when worn with boots, so leggings may be a good alternative in that situation.

*shrugs* My problem with footless tights/leggings is the hemline, for the reasons stated in my earlier post. So really, as long as I can't see the hemline then I'm not going to complain.

...yet you are wearing cropped trousers in your avatar, which have pretty much exactly the same hemline as many leggings, and thus the same leg-shortening effect; you are not particularly tall, so i'm guessing you don't have long legs, so you don't seem to have a problem making your own legs look shorter but DO have a problem with others doing the same...:confused: !
Reply 39
leggings are obviously a lot tighter than cropped trousers, cropped trousers being more practical also...? :s-smilie:

Latest