The Student Room Group

I'm going to college in September - any tips?

First Of all I am wondering what type of bag to have? I have a standard backpack, but don't know whether to have something different?

How much studying should I do for an access course?

Is it important to have a good social life or is it best to just study and do nothing else?

Any tips on how to be successful?
Reply 1
Work hard play hard as they say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1lastchance
First Of all I am wondering what type of bag to have? I have a standard backpack, but don't know whether to have something different?

How much studying should I do for an access course?

Is it important to have a good social life or is it best to just study and do nothing else?

Any tips on how to be successful?

Work from the get go!
Reply 3
Thank you :smile:
While it is possible to get a 1st in your first year (and second, subject dependent) while last-minuting essays and cramming exam revision it is not worth-it.

Trust me, while my grades have not been sullied because of lethargy, my health over exam-season these past two years has been rendered abysmal because of the stress alone. So, work hard and enjoy your social life as a secondary activity rather than as the reason for living.
Must have a social life in order to get employed in the future apparently. (Coming from a First Class failure in life)
Hello,

Depends on what you NEED to take to the lecture/course - laptop, files, documents, necessities etc. If it doesn't fit in, get a bigger backpack instead. If it all fits in, then no need to upgrade.

About studying, just don't make late study notes and cramming in at midnight when the exam seasons are looming over. It is not worth it. Really, preparation is the key. Prepare in advance. Make study notes, or whatever the study methods that work out for you. Complete your essay on time.

Really, it goes both ways - as others would say "work hard but also play hard." Don't do something that would harm yourself or others. Be sensible. If it helps, create a timetable of your course, study time, and 'free' time (social time or do what you have to do), also meal times. In that way, you know what is happening in your day.

Go out, and have fun, build social network, but don't neglect your academic side. You just gotta have a balance.

(Oh, if you are struggling or feeling down - always, always seek out for someone you trust, or even Mental Health Support person - even, just for a chat or a cup of tea in silence.)

Hope these advice helps. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending