The Student Room Group

AS subject choice, lease help :'(

I currently take Graphics, Media, English and Philsosophy&Ethics. I not only am bad at english but I hate it too...I want to drop it because since I dont enjoy it, i doubt i would take a degree in it
The thing is I am still indecisive of what i want to do at UNI but i am pretty sure its along the lines of graphic design.
Should i drop media or english? engllsh looks very good. please help :frown:
Drop the subject you hate tryst me. I took English over Sociology because I thought English would be more respected and make me look better to unis but I hated it so much and pretty much regretted it the whole two years. Plus a lot of media at A level involves graphic design so it's probably more suited to you! Definitely pick the subject you like and not what you think unis will like :smile:
Have you checked which A levels the courses you are interested in at uni require?

If you don't need English then drop it - three A levels is enough.
Original post by imjustnotnormal
Drop the subject you hate tryst me. I took English over Sociology because I thought English would be more respected and make me look better to unis but I hated it so much and pretty much regretted it the whole two years. Plus a lot of media at A level involves graphic design so it's probably more suited to you! Definitely pick the subject you like and not what you think unis will like :smile:

really ??? ugh it sucks because English is the oly academic subject I take...are you sure they wont expect me to do atleast on :frown:
Original post by Muttley79
Have you checked which A levels the courses you are interested in at uni require?

If you don't need English then drop it - three A levels is enough.

This is the proble though, i dont even know what to do at UNI and literally its driving me crazy... i have to decide by the end of this year....what do i do ughhhhh
Original post by bbeSk
really ??? ugh it sucks because English is the oly academic subject I take...are you sure they wont expect me to do atleast on :frown:

If you were interested in doing a really academic course then English would be a good idea but you're interested in Gaphic Design and of Media and English, Media is the one that will prepare you the most for that course. The admissions team isn't going to look at how academic your subjects are, they're going to look at how much passion you have in your personal statement and what experience you have of graphic design - remember you'll have to write about how the subjects you've taken make you suitable / have prepared you for the course you want to do at uni. Media says a lot more about your interest in Graphic Design than English.

From someone who took English even though they hated it, I can honestly say that it's a horrible idea even if you're good at it. When you're writing essays every week and have lost all motivation the fact that you hate it will only make it harder. Think of it like this, English may be more academic but it won't make a difference if you don't get a good grade in it. Especially in A-Levels, doing a subject you enjoy is essential to doing well in it.

If you're still confused maybe speak to a careers advisor at school or your head of sixth form? They'll probably have better advice for you based off experience. Best of luck!
Original post by bbeSk
I currently take Graphics, Media, English and Philsosophy&Ethics. I not only am bad at english but I hate it too...I want to drop it because since I dont enjoy it, i doubt i would take a degree in it
The thing is I am still indecisive of what i want to do at UNI but i am pretty sure its along the lines of graphic design.
You don't like english, then drop it. I believe that if you lack any sort of ambition towards a subject, especially at A-Level you might not get good grades. I got a U in econ cause i completely disliked it.
Reply 7
Original post by bbeSk

Yes, English does look good as an A level. But it would not look if you have a bad grade in it. you need to have subjects that you enjoy. it sounds cliche, but in the long run, taking things you enjoy will get you the best grades and into the uni of your choice. And don't be pressed into dropping other subjects you care about over a family or friends opinion. in the end, it's your life and you should enjoy it.
Reply 8
Original post by bbeSk

Yes, English does look good as an A level. But it would not look if you have a bad grade in it. you need to have subjects that you enjoy. it sounds cliche, but in the long run, taking things you enjoy will get you the best grades and into the uni of your choice. And don't be pressed into dropping other subjects you care about over a family or friends opinion. in the end, it's your life and you should enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest