The Student Room Group

A Level or BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma

So all was going according to plan and I was down to be doing the following at A Level. Business, Accounting, Economics and Biology. However my GCSE results were slightly lower than I anticpated as a result I am now not able to study Accoutning, Economics or Biology due to my C grades in Maths however my grades in those indivudal subjects were good. As a career path I think i'd want to work within the business industy as it appeals to me the most. My dream job would be becoming a footballer however that is something I am able to pursure outside of school. So due to the grades I attainted I considered doing a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business. After my Level 3 course I am planning to either go and do an appretichip or go to university and after checking some uni websites they do accept BTEC's in the form of DDD or DDM or DD*D. If i went to uni i'd most likely be doing a business degree however I'm also aware that i dont need to study accoutning or economics to do the degree and could just do business alongside a levels i enjoy. However I dont see the point in stressing over some subjects which I enjoy if I will not be planning of taking them any further. I also spoke to some freinds who are also now doing business at uni and wether I should go for the BTEC or A Level and go pretty much the same responses of how they are both good and uni's just care about how well you do in them to be able to offer you a place. I dont mind the idea of doing coursework nor do I mind exams as I am really open in that sense and I adapt to new teaching envrioments quite well. However I am just not sure what to do and would appreciate some advice from people who have been there and done that.
Can the BTEC in BUSINESS, get me to uni?
Are they fairly respected? (dont give me a stupid answer)
Will it give me a good job or apprentince opportuinity if I dont go to uni?
I would really appreciate some advice as college or 6th form starts next week and I really need to make a decision and im extrmely split at the moment.
PS. the BTEC course has a 100% pass rate.
Reply 1
Please guys some advice would really be needed right now...
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice however I wouldn't be able to do Economics nor would I be able to do Biology at A level as they both require minmium B grades in Maths which I didnt acheive.
Reply 3
Hm that probably wont work as they are really strict about getting the correct grades. Also even if i did enroll I may sturggle becuase other 6th forms ask for even higher grades so its obvious where abouts the grade boundaries are gonna be. I have an induction for the BTEC tommrow so I want to see how that goes and if I dont like it ill most certainly have to do A Level.

Wouldn't you consider the BTEC a respectable course, in terms of finding employment or doing an apprentichip or going to uni?
I heard they are looked down upon by some universities and I don't want to hinder my chances so I decided to spend this year resitting my GCSEs and then next year, hopefully, with good grades I'll be able to do A levels. It's up to you though what you decide in your situation and remember there are universities that would accept BTECs too. I don't think there is anything wrong with them, just that they appear not to be as respected as A levels are unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Latest