The Student Room Group

Question regarding overdrafts and bank accounts

Recently I asked barclays about getting a student account mainly because I want the overdraft facility I already have a perfectly good bank account with nationwide though it doesn't have an overdraft. Anyway just as an addition at the end they said that one of the conditions of using my student account was that I had to use my account as my main account and have my postgraduate student loan paid in there. Are there any accounts which don't have this as a condition. I only want the overdraft facility as a just in case measure and don't want it to be my main account.
Reply 1
No, they'll pretty much all require this (because they want you to use their current account, they don't just want to supply you with an unsecured loan).

They've no way of knowing if it's your main account though? Is there any reason you can't pay your loan into the Barclays account, then transfer it out into your own? If you make a few other transactions each month on the Barclays account they probably won't have any complaints.
usually this condition just means that £X has to be paid in and £X has to be withdrawn so just get your loan paid in then put it in your other account yourself if you want to use it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending