The Student Room Group

Choosing a student bank account

My student finance has been finalised and I would like to open a student bank account to send it to rather than sending it straight to my current account so that I don't end up dipping into it constantly.

My question here is, which bank should I go with? There are so many choices for student bank accounts and I'm currently comparing a bunch to decide on what's best and I would like opinions from other students. If you opened a student account, who with and why?
Reply 1
I am looking at this as well. Someone on here mentioned to only do this July/August as bank’s releases deals around this time.

Regardless of a tiny freeebie or railcard. Choose what you need?
1. Do you want/need a overdraft?
2. What are the interests rates?
3. Does it have an app, how accessible is the money?
Original post by Cherryhologram
My student finance has been finalised and I would like to open a student bank account to send it to rather than sending it straight to my current account so that I don't end up dipping into it constantly.

My question here is, which bank should I go with? There are so many choices for student bank accounts and I'm currently comparing a bunch to decide on what's best and I would like opinions from other students. If you opened a student account, who with and why?

It basically boils down to if you want a freebie or a larger interest-free overdraft.

The following article is usually updated following results day when the majority of students will be in a position to open an account:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-bank-account/
Reply 3
Original post by Cherryhologram

The terms and conditions for student accounts generally stipulate that you use the student account as your "main or only" current account (or similar wording). If it becomes clear to the bank that you're just making a handful of transactions on the account and not using it as your main account, they may choose to do things like limit or remove the overdraft facility, or ultimately close the account completely.

There aren't that many banks that offer student accounts, so you just need to take a look at what's on offer, decide what's important to you, and make a choice. It's probably best, as @normaw hints, to wait till after A-level results day as that's the point at which most people will start applying for student accounts and hence when the banks will make sure to have their offers available.
Reply 4
I did actually open this page up after I posted the question and only gave it a brief look before I had to head out so I'm glad to know it is a recommended/trustworthy site. Thank you so much for your answer! :smile:
Original post by normaw
It basically boils down to if you want a freebie or a larger interest-free overdraft.

The following article is usually updated following results day when the majority of students will be in a position to open an account:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-bank-account/
Reply 5
Original post by Aufbau
I am looking at this as well. Someone on here mentioned to only do this July/August as bank’s releases deals around this time.

Regardless of a tiny freeebie or railcard. Choose what you need?
1. Do you want/need a overdraft?
2. What are the interests rates?
3. Does it have an app, how accessible is the money?

Hi, thanks for your response! I will be keeping these factors in mind when I look into accounts.

Where did you hear about waiting to open it? I don't get my student finance until September so there really is no issue in waiting but do you know what I'd have to keep an eye on to find out about any deals? What sort of thing would they be?
Reply 6
Original post by martin7
The terms and conditions for student accounts generally stipulate that you use the student account as your "main or only" current account (or similar wording). If it becomes clear to the bank that you're just making a handful of transactions on the account and not using it as your main account, they may choose to do things like limit or remove the overdraft facility, or ultimately close the account completely.

There aren't that many banks that offer student accounts, so you just need to take a look at what's on offer, decide what's important to you, and make a choice. It's probably best, as @normaw hints, to wait till after A-level results day as that's the point at which most people will start applying for student accounts and hence when the banks will make sure to have their offers available.

My current plan is to go with Santander but I do plan on waiting to hear about those deals.

Thank you for bringing up the terms and conditions part, that is really helpful and I will definitely keep an eye out for that! Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending